Airport '79

Holy Fuck! What a bad movie!

Nothing in it is believable and that includes Charo's seeing-eye chihuahua ("Don't misconscrew me!??"). I've never seen this movie before and am just astonished I've missed its essential awfulness for so long.

Just thought I'd let you know. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1979 was a good year of Disco, and that's about it. I dropped off the Airport Bandwagon in 1975: George Kennedy, Charlton Heston, Karen Black, Linda Blair and Gloria Swanson. What's not to love?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OMG that movie is classic bad! Like Towering Inferno and all those great bad 70's movies. I wish Linda Blair had done 17 more!
Holy Fuck! What a bad movie!

Nothing in it is believable and that includes Charo's seeing-eye chihuahua ("Don't misconscrew me!??"). I've never seen this movie before and am just astonished I've missed its essential awfulness for so long.

Just thought I'd let you know. :smile:

biz4two

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
After seeing those Airport movies...I always thought to myself...that if I saw George Kennedy getting on the same plane as me...I would change flights! Seriously...that dude would be bad luck on a plane! LOL! :biggrin1:

biz
:eek:

But this dialog!

Stewardess: "You pilots are such men!"
Pilot: "They don't call it a cockpit for nothing!

The plot has the plane flying in two stages. It lands successfully the first time despite being attacked twice and people get on the plane again to continue their trip despite the fact someone is trying to shoot down the plane.

And what the fuck is Mercedes McCambridge doing there?

Damn. The plane they used for this movie was the one that later crashed in France.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ahhh the Irwin Allen whole disaster movie phase of the 70's is great. Poseiden, Airport, Inferno, Earthquake (gotta love movie gimmicks ala Roger Corman...Earthquake shook the seats!). If only they let rats loose in the theater when we watched Willard!

Karen Black's crossed eyes bug me. It's so obvious when she screams.

Gloria Swanson looks great in Airport 1975. What a pity it was her last film as it's a cameo. I love Myrna Loy and Large Marge together! What total mindfucks these movies are.

There needs to be gay versions of these movies.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There needs to be gay versions of these movies.

They are already gay versions of themselves. They only survive as high camp.

Karen Black was second only to Faye Dunaway in the edgy, twitchy, mannered actress of the 70s sweepstakes.

Gloria, however, was brilliant. She remains the only person I've ever sent a fan letter to. When she died, I was bereft.

They are already gay versions of themselves. They only survive as high camp.

Karen Black was second only to Faye Dunaway in the edgy, twitchy, mannered actress of the 70s sweepstakes.

Gloria, however, was brilliant. She remains the only person I've ever sent a fan letter to. When she died, I was bereft.

Alà Eyes of Laura Mars? That was a great movie too.

There's nothing for Gloria to be brilliant with. She's just herself and given little material to even do that. I would have loved to see her do a real role; something to get her teeth into, for a Swanson swan song.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well the camp and formula of Airport '79 must be weighed against the darkness and originality of Alien released the same year.

Each a classic ... albeit in radically different senses of the word.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Alà Eyes of Laura Mars? That was a great movie too.

There's nothing for Gloria to be brilliant with. She's just herself and given little material to even do that. I would have loved to see her do a real role; something to get her teeth into, for a Swanson swan song.

<Clutches pearls>

You've never heard of Killer Bees?