Airport '79

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Polyester featured Odorama with scratch-and-sniff cards. I think I still have mine, somewhere.

I still have mine too. John Waters was an original.

Agree about the 1970s era disaster movie genre. They were cheesy with the Airport series growing progressively the cheesiest.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is actually the only installment in the "Airport" series that I have not seen but from the clips I watched on you tube, it does look like the worst. I did not not think anything could be worse than the one where the aircraft was in the ocean in the Bermuda Triangle, but this one looks like it is. Now I feel like I need to rent it!

This is actually the only installment in the "Airport" series that I have not seen but from the clips I watched on you tube, it does look like the worst. I did not not think anything could be worse than the one where the aircraft was in the ocean in the Bermuda Triangle, but this one looks like it is. Now I feel like I need to rent it!

TBS was having an Airport marathon so I got to see them all in one night. Were it not for my gay superpowers of camp appreciation, I wouldn't have survived the night, much less enjoyed it. What I could do, however, was compare all the movies back to back and holy shit is Airport '79 not even in the same league as '77. '77 has a plot that borders on the plausible and even some real acting. Airport '79 gives-up any pretense of being even a movie very early on. It makes '77 look like a RSC production of King Lear. Be sure to watch the extended version so you can get the full impact. It's difficult to believe it ever made it out of the can.

Jase, don't make me come back there and force you to watch more bad network tv.

You're welcome to do that whenever you'd like. I don't think you'd be happy though as I don't have a DVR.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Airport and Airport '75 can be taken somewhat seriously as anxiety-ladden dramas. (By the way, you have to love how the music of '75 is primarily written in a minor key signature and then resolves to the major at the very end as people are jumping down the slide chute).

I suspect the Airpot '77 and '79 were aware of the cult following because of cameo appearances. They just tried to extend the formula and also poke fun of themselves.

Airport '77 and '79 are no different than many other shows at the time. Please recall "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" were rotating doors for fading stars and cameo appearances. Everyone was using this tactic at the time. Charo's appearance, for rinstance, in almost anything was a comic event :tongue:.

Airport '79 disappoints even in the Charo factor. She has one scene and never appears again. It's like Charo left the moment she realized the movie sucked too much even for her! Mercedes McCambridge same deal even though they must have tempted her to stay by making her portray a Soviet women's gymnastics coach.

That leaves such C listers as Martha Raye, Avery Schreiber, John Davidson, and JJ Walker to carry the star vehicle load. Cicely Tyson gets a few scenes but she appears so anguished to be in the movie at all that she can't even face the camera.