Airports - Which Ones Do You Like or Dislike

D_Navengil Nutroll

Experimental Member
Media
air travel is not much fun these days. but some airports can make it easier and more relaxing. my experiences, but some are old and things change. basically for me, if they have trains to run between terminals, the place is too big and i try to avoid it.

- i thought the one in miami looked and smelled like a big bus station. it was really ugly.

- fort lauderdale. perfect size. nice looking efficient facility.

- washington national. can be scary to fly in and out of since it is next to the water. otherwise, nice place.

- washington dulles. you have to take these big elevated busses to the midfield terminal most of the time to make a flight or connection. did not care for that. architecturally, the main terminal is pretty sweet looking.

- philadelphia. eh.

- baltimore. ok i guess. it is cheap fare wise. my memory of being there though was just after 9-11, and there were troops all over the place with machine guns. scary.

- detroit. see miami. yuck. i heard they had a makeover though since i was last there. and probably wont go again since northwest went away and my frequent flyer miles went away too.

- dfw. too big.

- ohare. oh god. i dont think i have ever been there without having to sit behind a sea of other planes taking off. so you liftoff 30 minutes late most of the time. the terminal is huge. you need a jogging suit on if you need to connect.

- minneapolis. too big. but the only airport i have been where i got cruised. this dude walking down to his gate had his eyes glued on me until we passed each other.

- kansas city. really like it. you walk out of the gate and can be out on the street in minutes the way they have it set up.

- denver. too big and it looks weird. it looks like a bunch of teepees from the air.

- houston intercontinental. no major complaints. i laughed my ass off though when i saw this statue of george bush senior in one of the terminals to get my bags. he had like an army coat draped over his shoulder and back.

- houston hobby. close to the city and small. easy to navigate but not pretty.

- cincinnati. too far out of town, but ok otherwise. they mostly use delta and i am not a fan.

- columbus ohio. no probs. i got a fare from there once visiting relatives for 19 bucks on new york air a long time ago. i had to run fast to catch the plane though. and i dont sprint well. i was afraid i was going to get there and they would say "yer fucked" and i would have to wait around for hours for another flight.

Minneapolis. too big. but the only airport i have been where i got cruised.
Isn't that the scary one, where u fly over a motorway just before landing? Haven't been, but me family told me about it. Plus...according to my sis there's a cool mall nearby, lol.

Manchester is the best airport in Northern UK, just so you know. ;)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow I could go on and on about this subject. I am a frequent flyer but my favorite is Honolulu International besides being a very pretty and well thought out facility...it's home!
I'll give it some thought and report back.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like:

Kai Tak (Hong Kong): Landing here is an adventure not for the squeamish.

Kapalua (West Maui, Hawaii): Step off the plane into paradise.

La Guardia (New York): Arriving or departing on a clear day can provide breathtaking views of Manhattan Island, the Statue of Liberty, bridges, bodies of water.

John Wayne (Orange County, CA): Easy in and out to LaLa Land.

Dislike:

O'Hare (Chicago): Always a delay, or a run across two miles of crowded concourses to catch a mis-timed connection.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My favorite, on default, is Newark. With the Air Train it's super easy to get there if you live in Manhattan. From where I live in the city, on a perfectly timed day I can get from my doorstep to the airport in 30 minutes. Logan Airport in Boston is very nice to deal with now that all of the construction is done... or is it?

Internationally, my favorite airport is in China. I stopped there briefly on a trip to Thailand and had a 3 hour layover. It's super large with plenty of things to do. Lots of shopping, and an authentic ramen noodle spot that makes the anime freak in me do backflips. :biggrin:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really don't fly too often, but here are the airports of which I have opinions:

Portland Int'l (PDX): I really like it. Nice lay out, never feels too crowded.
Dallas/Ft. Worth Int'l (DFW): I've only been there early in the morning, but it seemed nice. (also, very good breakfast food.)
Cincinnati Int'l (CVG): I'm no fan.
Philadelphia Int'l (PHL): I hated it. It just felt very old and crowded
Newark-Liberty Int'l (EWR): I'm fairly neutral toward this one.

D

deleted3782

Like:
Atlanta - Its logical...but sucks if you have to change gates
Dulles - logical and not too big
Dallas - again, logical...cool Skylink train
Athens, Greece - amazing new airport built for the Olympics...enough to put a country into debt...(oh wait)
Frankfurt - logical and clean
Shanghai Pudong - new and manageable...very cool mag-lev train :biggrin1:
Madrid Barajas - open and logical
Salt Lake City - easy to get around

Dislike:
Beijing Capital - Too crowded and confusing
Newark - terrible floor plan
Philly - Perhaps the worst floor plan, not to mention if you need to get to dreaded Terminal F
London Gatwick - sloppy floor plan, narrow corridors
Paris Charles de Gaulle - perplexing floor plan, narrow corridors
Shanghai Hongqiao - ancient airport patched and added-to over decades
NYC LaGuardia - (see Honggiao)
Boston Logan - Too spread out and confusing
LAX - (see Boston Logan)
Rome Fiumicino (see Boston Logan)
Chicago O'Hare - too many terminals, too many additions

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
you know what DELTA stands for right? (i heard this a few years ago)

Delivering Everyones Luggage Through Atlanta

Delta = Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive

I absolutely HATE Atlanta...worst run Airport in the entire United States!

DFW is not too bad and pretty easy to find your way around even though it is HUGE

I prefer BWI to Dulles or National

Charlotte Douglass is pretty nice.

Ohare SUCKS!

Indianapolis is pretty decent

Richmond is damn expensive to fly out of

San Francisco is interesting. I think I rode that train atound the airport three times before I finally found out where I was supposed to get off to catch the BART downtown.

Norfolk is about the smallest airport I have ever been to hard to belive that is an "International Airport" LOL

I love flying into Newport News Williamsburg because it is home, but also the glide path goes right over my waterfront home and I get an excellent view of it if I am in a window seat on the left side of the plane coming in.:smile:

Never been to any of the overseas Airports yet but probably going to Europe next year.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like... TIA, PIT, DEN (unless flying United!), DTW, BWI, RSW, FTL, MCO, RDU, BUF, ABQ, PHX... Intl... Schiphol, Frankfurt(Main), Vancouver

Dislike... CLE, PHI, CLT, STL, ATL, MIA, JFK, BOS... Both airports in Houston, Dallas, Chicago, DC... Intl... San Juan (PR), London Heathrow

There are a few other notable airports I have been to/through but I'm ambivalent.

sjcgymrat

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I could live in the Lufthansa terminal at Munich's airport. The bathroom stalls are designed for sex. Doors to the floor and very roomy.
The new terminal at Barajas is also a pleasant building, except if you are arriving and want your bags the same week. Madrid doesn't offer that. good news is that you have plenty of time for that bj or handy.
Midway Chicago has decent food so it's my choice for a layover. Never tried to get any there though.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've only been to a handful of airports.

Newark - My old home airport for a long time was Newark. I like it. It was close and it's easy to get around. The terminals are connected via a monorail. It's simple, ticket counters in the front. security behind it, then the gates. When you come back the baggage claim in on the lowest level. It was built in the 70's but still looks modern.

Orlando - I don't remember when I flew in (over 20 years ago) but I met some people who flew in from there are it was nice.

Altanta - very big and just used it for a connecting flight.

Las Vegas- Weird airport. You come out on one side and it looks like you are downtown. There are certain gates that you have to take a standing subway car to get to. The longest security lines I've ever seen are there. Tight slot machines to lose your money while waiting for the plane. No rental cars there, you have to take a shuttle bus to a building that looks like a small airport terminal.

Fort Lauderdale- It's fine, and it's my new home airport, but it has an odd layout. You can see the runway from I-95.

Bahamas - Nassau - Small claustrophobic, they make you go thru two different areas of security and then the gift shop sells $3 cans of Coke.

I've dropped people off at Laguardia and JFK and they take 3 times are long as it should to get there with all the NY traffic. JFK is huge and confusing and old looking.

Last edited: