Al-Anon meetings?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by DV8, Jul 9, 2011.

1. DV8

DV8
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Has anyone ever been to a meeting? Can anyone tell me what to expect?

2. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    i have been. didn't really care for it. just made me more down. BUT, it works for allot of people.

3. houtx48

Gold Member

They help lot of people deal with problem people in their lives . Go give it a try and see if it works for you, they don't bite or anything.

4. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Support group meetings are all different and yet there are common threads in the meetings and how they function. The idea is to help you as an individual cope with the problems of life thrown at you. In the case of Al-anon the focus is alcohol related and the main thing about this that is great is learning what you can and cannot do to help the person doing the drinking without supporting the offending activity.

In these meetings people share their experiences and depending on how an individual meeting is run other people who have had similar experiences to yours will give you council on how to function and how to preserve your own sanity at the same time.

When my Mother at the end of her life developed dementia and had problems. I went to several support groups for "care-givers" and in my case found them disgusting. Many of these were turned into "pity parties" by a few individuals unable to understand that the people with the condition did not have the ability to change or control the process happening within their brains. Those seeking attention tended to dominate the meetings and would go on and on about "woes poor little me" and that can happen at any support type of meeting. At the same time my experience is not the common or typical experience. Many people derive a great deal of benefits from support groups and if they are well run they can be very beneficial. The best solution is to give it a try and to see how you yourself deal with this individual meeting. Also remember that there are usually many different meetings and facilitators of meetings in any major city. If one meeting does not work, don't judge all of them by the one. Try a different one and see if you have better luck. I wish you the best of luck with your own recovery.

5. DV8

DV8
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you very much for your responses. They're appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted