Al Gore is a self-loathing hack...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Jul 3, 2006.

1. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    for all the mindless sheeply minions still hanging on... to hanging chads...
    (he's reaching for legacy a la that boob... Jimmy Carter)

With An Inconvenient Truth, the companion book to Al Gore’s global-warming movie, currently number nine in Amazon sales rank, this is a good time to point out that the book, which is a largely pictorial representation of the movie’s graphical presentation, exaggerates the evidence surrounding global warming. Ironically, the former Vice President leaves out many truths that are inconvenient for his argument. Here are just 25 of them.
    1. Carbon Dioxide’s Effect on Temperature. The relationship between global temperature and carbon dioxide (CO 2), on which the entire scare is founded, is not linear. Every molecule of CO2 added to the atmosphere contributes less to warming than the previous one. The book’s graph on p. 66-67 is seriously misleading.
    2. Kilimanjaro. The snows of Kilimanjaro are melting not because of global warming but because of a local climate shift that began 100 years ago. The authors of a report in the International Journal of Climatology “develop a new concept for investigating the retreat of Kilimanjaro’s glaciers, based on the physical understanding of glacier–climate interactions.”
    3. Glaciers. Glaciers around the world have been receding at around the same pace for over 100 years. Research published by the National Academy of Sciences last week indicates that the Peruvian glacier on p. 53-53 probably disappeared a few thousand years ago.
    4. The Medieval Warm Period. Al Gore says that the “hockey stick” graph that shows temperatures remarkably steady for the last 1,000 years has been validated, and ridicules the concept of a “medieval warm period.” That’s not the case. Last year, a team of leading paleoclimatologists said, “When matching existing temperature reconstructions...the timeseries display a reasonably coherent picture of major climatic episodes: ‘Medieval Warm Period,’ ‘Little Ice Age’ and ‘Recent Warming.’”
    5. The Hottest Year. Satellite temperature measurements say that 2005 wasn't the hottest year on record — 1998 was — and that temperatures have been stable since 2001 (p.73).
    6. Heat Waves. The summer heat wave that struck Europe in 2003 was caused by an atmospheric pressure anomaly; it had nothing to do with global warming. As the United Nations Environment Program reported in September 2003, “This extreme wheather [sic] was caused by an anti-cyclone firmly anchored over the western European land mass holding back the rain-bearing depressions that usually enter the continent from the Atlantic ocean.
    7. Record Temperatures. Record temperatures — hot and cold — are set every day around the world; that’s the nature of records. Statistically, any given place will see four record high temperatures set every year. There is evidence that daytime high temperatures are staying about the same as for the last few decades, but nighttime lows are gradually rising. Global warming might be more properly called, “Global less cooling.”
    8. Hurricanes. There is no overall global trend of hurricane-force storms getting stronger that has anything to do with temperature. A recent study in Geophysical Research Letters found: “The data indicate a large increasing trend in tropical cyclone intensity and longevity for the North Atlantic basin and a considerable decreasing trend for the Northeast Pacific.
    9. Tornadoes. Records for numbers of tornadoes are set because we can now record more of the smaller tornadoes (see, for instance, the Tornado FAQ at Weather Underground).
    10. European Flooding. European flooding is not new (p. 107). Similar flooding happened in 2003. Research from Michael Mudelsee and colleagues from the University of Leipzig published in Nature (Sept. 11, 2003) looked at data reaching as far back as 1021 (for the Elbe) and 1269 (for the Oder).
    11. Shrinking Lakes. Scientists investigating the disappearance of Lake Chad (p.116) found that most of it was due to human overuse of water. “The lake’s decline probably has nothing to do with global warming, report the two scientists, who based their findings on computer models and satellite imagery made available by NASA.
    12. Polar Bears. Polar bears are not becoming endangered. A leading Canadian polar bear biologist wrote recently, “Climate change is having an effect on the west Hudson population of polar bears, but really, there is no need to panic. Of the 13 populations of polar bears in Canada, 11 are stable or increasing in number. They are not going extinct, or even appear (sic) to be affected at present.”
    13. The Gulf Stream. The Gulf Stream, the ocean conveyor belt, is not at risk of shutting off in the North Atlantic (p. 150). Carl Wunsch of MIT wrote to the journal Nature in 2004 to say, “The only way to produce an ocean circulation without a Gulf Stream is either to turn off the wind system, or to stop the Earth’s rotation, or both”
    15. Species Loss. When it comes to species loss, the figures given on p. 163 are based on extreme guesswork, as the late Julian Simon pointed out. We have documentary evidence of only just over 1,000 extinctions since 1600 (see, for instance, Lomborg’s The Skeptical Environmentalist, p. 250).
    16. Coral Reefs. Coral reefs have been around for over 500 million years. This means that they have survived through long periods with much higher temperatures and atmospheric CO 2 concentrations than today.
    17. Malaria and other Infectious Diseases. Leading disease scientists contend that climate change plays only a minor role in the spread of emerging infectious diseases. In “Global Warming and Malaria: A Call for Accuracy” (The Lancet, June 2004), nine leading malariologists criticized models linking global warming to increased malaria spread as “misleading” and “display[ing] a lack of knowledge” of the subject.
    18. Antarctic Ice. There is controversy over whether the Antarctic ice sheet is thinning or thickening. Recent scientific studies have shown a thickening in the interior at the same time as increased melting along the coastlines. Temperatures in the interior are generally decreasing. The Antarctic Peninsula, where the Larsen-B ice shelf broke up (p. 181) is not representative of what is happening in the rest of Antarctica. Dr. Karleat Stockholm University, acknowledges, “Some small areas in the Antarctic Peninsula have broken up recently, just like it has done back in time. The temperature in this part of Antarctica has increased recently, probably because of a small change in the position of the low pressure systems.”
    19. Greenland Climate. Greenland was warmer in the 1920s and 1930s than it is now. A recent study by Dr. Peter Chylek of the University of California, Riverside, addressed the question of whether man is directly responsible for recent warming: “An important question is to what extent can the current (1995-2005) temperature increase in G'land coastal regions be interpreted as evidence of man-induced global warming? Although there has been a considerable temperature increase during the last decade (1995 to 2005) a similar increase and at a faster rate occurred during the early part of the 20th century(1920 to 1930)
    20. Sea Level Rise. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change does not forecast sea-level rises of “18 to 20 feet.” Rather, it says, “We project a sea level rise of 0.09 to 0.88 m for 1990 to 2100, with a central value of 0.48 m. The central value gives an average rate of 2.2 to 4.4 times the rate over the 20th century...It is now widely agr'd that major loss of grounded ice and accelerated sea level rise are very unlikely during the 21st century.” Al Gore’s suggestions of much more are therefore extremely alarmist.
    21. Population. Al Gore worries about population growth; Gore does not suggest a solution. Fertility in the developed world is stable or decreasing. The plain fact is that we are not going to reduce population back down to 2 billion or fewer in the foreseeable future. In the meantime, the population in the developing world requires a significant increase in its standard of living to reduce the threats of premature and infant mortality, disease, and hunger. In The Undercover Economist, Tim Harford writes, “If we are honest, then, the argument that trade leads to economic growth, which leads to climate change, leads us then to a stark conclusion: we should cut our trade links to make sure that the Chinese, Indians and Africans stay poor. The question is whether any environmental catastrophe, even severe climate change, could possibly inflict the same terrible human cost as keeping three or four billion people in poverty. To ask that question is to answer it.”
    22. Energy Generation. A specific example of this is Gore’s acknowledgement that 30 percent of global CO 2 emissions come from wood fires used for cooking (p. 227). If we introduced affordable, coal-fired power generation into South Asia and Africa we could reduce this considerably and save over 1.6 million lives a year. This is the sort of solution that Gore does not even consider.
    23. Carbon-Emissions Trading. The European Carbon Exchange Market, touted as “effective” on p. 252, has crashed.
    24. The “Scientific Consensus.” On the supposed “scientific consensus”: Dr. Naomi Oreskes, of the UC San Diego, (p. 262) did not examine a “large random sample” of scientific articles. She got her search terms wrong and thought she was looking at all the articles when in fact she was looking at only 928 o

25. Economic Costs. Even if the study Gore cites is right the US will still emit massive amounts of CO 2 after all the measures it outlines have been realized. Getting emissions down to the paltry levels needed to stabilize CO 2 in the atmosphere would require, in Gore’s own words, “a wrenching transformation” of our way of life. This cannot be....

2. ben11

ben11 Member

Gore’s the hack?? Let’s dig up who your source is.
    Your post is a cut and paste from an article by Iain Murray that was in the National Review, the fine Journal that employed Steven Glass, who established the gold standard of journalistic fabricators. Murray is a "Senior Fellow" (aka hired gun) for CEI, a special interest group that represents business interests. He and others at CEI are paid to refute the findings of scientists, government agencies and to challenge legal decisions that are not favorable to their clients. Tobacco, alcohol and the auto industry are among the industries they have represented. Recently, they have been helping the auto industry keep mileage standards down by arguing that auto safety is compromised. I can assure that if the market continues to pressure Detroit to offer more fuel efficient cars CEI will be there doing the reverse argument that mandated safety features add to the cars weight and therefore affect their fuel standards.

This is a direct quote from Iain Murray in response to the controversy over syndicated columnists being paid to write favorable opinion-editorial (“op-ed”) pieces for a business or government agency (most times the conflict of interest is not disclosed). “An opinion piece—whether an individual op-ed or a column—exists to promote a point of view by argument. It does not seek to establish a fact, but to win people over to a particular viewpoint or opinion.”

Note that Murray clearly indicates that facts are not important, the opinion is. Talk about herding sheep!!

I've seen An Inconvenient Truth. I know there are positions Gore has taken that can be challenged. For example, global warming is only one reason for Kilimanjaro’s retreating snow, but it is a reason based on my research. Gore’s research is fact based and not a bunch of sound bites strung into an article by a hack like Iain Murray.

3. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Point 14 is especially interesting. :rolleyes:

4. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    *sputters, dies*

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thnx ben11...I was curious about the source of this apparent "disinformation"... saved me the time.

Apparently the art of turning the truth into a lie (and vice versa) is alive and well.

6. D_acte4ee

D_acte4ee New Member

I think it probably would have been better if a scientist had made this movie so that the politics would be less of an issue. As a physician, I can tell you this as a fact. There is not one place in the USA where you can find a fish that does not have substantial levels of mercury in it. I live in a county with the highest level of multiple sclerosis in the country. One in 400 woman gets MS....that's alarming and no one seems to be concerned about it except for a rare woman...and they usually pack their bags and leave the state. I've seen a 14 year old girl diagnosed with it...and that's highly unusual. This is primarily an illness that presents in the 30s or 40s. I've also seen it afflict young men in their twenties. Interesting that some people go into remission when they leave the state. I went to the local University here 40 years ago and no such problem existed and the air was clear as far as you could see. Now, it's a brown orange haze that stretches as far as the eye can see. We burn coal for electricity and 67% of our energy comes from coal even though this state gets much sunlight and alot of wind. The coal we burn is much more toxic than the Anthracite coal in the East and the contaminants are higher and more poorly dispursed because of the higher altitude. This county happens to be upwind from the power plant. In the 70s, central air conditioning was unheard of. Now all the new houses have it as standard equipment and most older homes have been retrofitted with it. We had far more snow than usual this Winter and everyone was convinced that our water reserves would be greater than normal. Unforetunately, our Spring weather was so hot, that all the excess water evaporated and now many of our reservoir and lakes are half full. We've had 2+ inches of rain since January when we usually have 8" or more. Wells are drying up that have functioned for years. Already we have several forest fires and that wasn't a problem years ago and is highly unusual this early in the year. Other than the incidence of MS, I have alot more to add about changes in what we are seeing in the field of medicine. New symptoms and illnesses that never existed when I was in my training are more prevalent with no "apparent cause",... and I'm not that old. These are my observations and you may conclude whatever you wish. What state do you think I am talking about?
    Jimbo

7. stud_hunter

stud_hunter New Member

Even if you're right that some information in the movie was incorrect, there is still enough reliable evidence of human-caused climate change to convince anyone except someone who doesn't want to be convinced. I fear environmental apologists like you will be the death of us all.

8. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    boring boring boring. we've heard all this before; you're not convincing anybody. nobody with a shred of intelligence needs the likes of al gore to tell them how dangerous human global warming has become.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

People who refuse to believe in global warming and the dangers of cutting down trees and polluting the planet are just too fucking stupid to live here.

Let's send them all to the Moon and Mars where there is nothing left to use and abuse, shall we? Then, as they die quick deaths from lack of water and air, they can see what we are afraid of happening here.

This is as bad as when people use to attack that enviromentally friendly cartoon Captain Planet.

At least Gore can WRITE a book. Next.

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

(in his best Jack Nicholson voice from A Few Good Men)

You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Why let little things like FACTS get in the way?

11. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

I have an ongoing debate with a conservative friend who is convinced that the warming is real but part of a natural cycle despite all the evidence to the contrary. There are enough people convinced that the problem isn't nearly as severe as it is to allow it to go unchecked. Somehow they are convinced that this is a political problem, and while they fiddle, the earth burns. Without a sense of urgency, this problem will only worsen. If my friend is representative of a larger portion of America -- and I think he is -- I don't see much hope for collective action.

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

People are basically profoundly stupid, and selfish to boot. Most won't care about global worming enough to DO anything about it because they know they'll be okay in their lifetime. By the time it's serious enough a problem to be felt, it will be too late. I think the outlook is not good.

13. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

What frightens me, MZ, is that even smart people believe this to be politics of hysteria generated by Democrats.

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Lex, I disagree with many of Mr. Gore's theories yet I consider myself neither too fucking stupid to live here nor do I deserve to die a quick death from lack of water and air on the Moon and Mars.

Your Brave New World solution to dissent is ironic, indeed.

15. ben11

ben11 Member

Jimbo,

You bring up some great points and reminds me how complicated these issues are.

Here's an example; New Hampshire passes regulations requiring junkyards to remove all switches in automobiles that contain mercury. These switches are given to a disposal company. Problem solved? Not quite. The mercury eventuially is sold to mining companies in South America. The mercury gets introduced into their waterways.

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Pecker--I don't see this as a partisan issue at all. I am not saying that everyone need agree with Gore (or environmentalists). I am sure that whatever you disagree with is based on your own research into the matter and not because you are "towing the party line." I wish more people were capable of independent thought.

I do fail to understand how masses of people can believe that pollution and toxins have no consequence at all to our planet (or that using a limted amount of natural resources can be a good thing). It's the same nonsense on a planetery level that people have said about, say, second-hand smoke, for decades in the face of the same disbelief. Only now are people realizing that there is no safe amount of second-hand smoke and, even in the face of such, there are still blocks of businesses and people who would rather stand on the foundation of business' right to make money over the general public's health (i.e., smoking bans hurt business).

Putting money and big business over people and the planet, to me, is wrong.

17. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

AH! 'face' has left us a "drive-by shitting" I see.

I get why you don't like Mr. Gore but what makes him 'self-loathing' pray tell?:33:

'sheeply minions' is an expression I'd more properly use to describe how you hang on to the "good old boys" notion of remaining in charge.

One can call Jimmy Carter many things. 'boob' would not be one of the adjectives I'd use to describe him (though another individual comes immediately to mind:rolleyes: )

Perhaps to you 'face' the word 'mindless' denotes people concerned about the betterment of this society and this planet. But in truth they're the mindful ones.

Without exception (with perhaps the singular exception of the late Eleanor Roosevelt) no human being has done more hands-on work for the cause of the human condtion than ex President Jimmy Carter.

He's a family man, a religious man, and a humanitarian of the first order and his willingness to get into the trenches rather than simply spout his rhetoric is the stuff of legend. Even his grass roots beginnings and "all American" appeal I should think couldn't be lost on you.

With respect to Al Gore; the reason he threatens you is that he's a considered and a considerate man. He's willing to brook the criticism of cigar-smoking-change-loathing controlling males like you in order to present a greater truth. He threatens (much as homosexual males do) the very foundation of your tender and dated reality. You fear your knowns will fall away like the house of cards they are.

For I'm quite sure your credo is;

Don't fuck with the status quo because in doing so you may well expose our fragile hold on this society.

In all honesty and with no sarcasm 'face'; what do you stand for? Just put it out there and be done with it rather than attempting to discredit that which threatens you.

At least then (much as I'd dislike that response) I'd have a modicum of respect for you.

What do you hold dear? What do you stand for?

18. Shelby

Gold Member

Years ago I read a doom and gloom book called 'Entropy' by Jeremy Rifkin. It made perfect sense to me at the time. It turned out wrong.

I'm glad people are concerned about global warming but I'm skeptical. There's too much hyperbole for me.

In a similar vein Jimmy Carter was once my hero. He still is in many respects. Reagan, I thought, was a fool. As it turns out the doofus actor was a better leader.

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is Faceking's post a direct cut and past of someone else's words without crediting the source?

The insidious thing about the anti-global-warming minority is that they don't even really seek to "win" the debate on scientific merits. Instead, they want only to carp and nitpick the issue so much that reasonable people will be confused and disillusioned into doing nothing.

20. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

There has, unfortunatley, been some hyperbolic ranting about the global warming issue (well-intended, I have no doubt), but the nonpartisan research teams have produced irrefutable evidence of man's culpability that has even Congress concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted