Al Gore is a self-loathing hack...

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Lol, look who's knocking whom for peddling 'talking points'! I don't know of many car execs in Detroit or pols in the Repub party who'd approve of my higher mileage standards proposal. It seems grounded to me to accept the reality of today and the promise of tomorrow and make the best of both as we proceed.

If we follow your path, oh, we'd definitely be part of the 'food chain'. After ripping our economy apart I can guess which part of the chain, too.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have seen some research data on both sides of the warming issue, but it would be a full-time job to compare all the minutae, so I'm not sure what I believe about global warming - but it is ALWAYS best to err on the side of caution. I do have an understanding of chemistry, so there are data from both sides that just don't seem quite right.

Increased carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, though, have much more profound effects than just simply global warming. Combined with other gasseous industrial pollutants, (mostly oxides of sulfur and nitrogen,) the increasing CO2 levels are dropping the pH of ocean waters, too, not just causing acid rain. Even very slight changes are dangerous, and over time will be catastrophic if not reversed. Organisms at the lowest levels of the ecosystems can be hyper-sensitive to increasingly acidic conditions, and once the planktons (food) and corals (shelter) start dying off, the domino effect will not be pretty. And acid rain runoff can carry many more leachates, especially heavy metals, than purer rainwater. Lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic compounds increasingly added to the world water supply, well, we all know what that effect will be.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
big dirigible said:
I also have the distinct impression from this thread that none of the commentators have any idea what peer review is (as in, a - swoon - "peer reviewed journal"), what its intended benefits are, and what its actual successes and failures are. It's another thing where enthusiasm is a poor substitute for experience and knowledge.

As one who has undergone several peer reviews in publishing papers I can say there are plenty of credentialed, degreed and respected atmospheric scientists around the world whose papers on global warming are accepted in peer reviewed journals. Despite Republican wishes to the contrary, global warming is not psuedo science.

Besides, if you think peer reviewed journals calling attention to global warming are suspect, then you've got to also believe peer reviewed journal articles against global warming are equally suspect.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
brainzz_n_dong said:
Lol, look who's knocking whom for peddling 'talking points'! I don't know of many car execs in Detroit or pols in the Repub party who'd approve of my higher mileage standards proposal.

Nobody wants an Eco-scooter here in Michigan.

We've got these big ass SUV's and people behind them that don't have a clue how to drive them. They continuously think they have to get around all the older cars, even if it means ramming them out of the way (like my bonneville).

Ever see a Geo Metro side impacted by a Ford Expedition? Imagine pop can crushed on your head.
There are those whom have no choice other than to drive them, but theyre taking their lives in their own hands.
Michigan's a No-Fault state, so even if they hit you, you cant sue them or recover any costs unless you loose function of your body (dead).

Safety is a major concern, and that safety is achieved by structural support.
Structural support means vehicle weight goes up.
To offset that weight, you need more engine horsepower.

(I won't lie - i'm a Horsepower monger myself.)
The horsepower race going on isn't helping matters.
But americans have pride in their autos, and most people nowadays want something that is bigger and better than what Joe next door has.
Unfortunately theyre not smart enough to save the cash and upgrade their autos, like in the old days. Disposable Society.

Let them have their horsepower race. I'm saving my hot rod for the car shows and drag strip. As for my daily driver, I'll be happy in my mid-size smashed up bonneville getting 30mpg.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
findfirefox said:
I say we all take mass transit and burn all cars!!!!!!!!

Mwhahahaha!

Talk like that will get you a ride in an ambulance....

Its a Dirty Rotten shame that people nowadays think that Just Because Automobiles are Old, that theyre Junk.

Automobiles should be driven until the structural frame supports give out.
That means swapping engines, transmissions, fuel and brake lines etc. (And if it's rear wheel drive, replace the frame too)
I will easily get 400,000 miles out of my bonneville, and my 98 bonnie with the new engine and trans swap should get easily 500K miles.
(Parts from your local junkyard work just great!)

New cars are nice, but for daily drivers, WHY BUY A NEW CAR???
People are going to dent it, scratch it, possibly collide with it... so why pay high insurance, high car payments when used will do??

But I forgot, these dumb high class queens have to have their "Bling bling"

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Rikter8 said:
Talk like that will get you a ride in an ambulance....

Its a Dirty Rotten shame that people nowadays think that Just Because Automobiles are Old, that theyre Junk.

Automobiles should be driven until the structural frame supports give out.
That means swapping engines, transmissions, fuel and brake lines etc. (And if it's rear wheel drive, replace the frame too)
I will easily get 400,000 miles out of my bonneville, and my 98 bonnie with the new engine and trans swap should get easily 500K miles.

New cars are nice, but for daily drivers, WHY BUY A NEW CAR???
People are going to dent it, scratch it, possibly collide with it... so why pay high insurance, high car payments when used will do??

But I forgot, these dumb high class queens have to have their "Bling bling"

Hey Rikter8,

Hijacking the thread a bit, but how many miles did you get out of your Bonne before the motor and trans bit the dust? And was it a new set-up or did you do it from a junkyard find - read both from what you posted.

I had a Grand Prix but decided to trade it in and found a great deal on a 99 Bonneville with decently low miles (bit more body/head room which I needed). I like that bodystyle better than the 2000 redesign and love the fact I'm (so far with 8,000 miles under my ownership belt) getting 32 mpg on the highway. It had an oil pan leak when I got it that was repaired, but otherwise is doing well {must find a piece of wood to knock on}...

I agree with you, drive the old for as long as you can. I LOVE looking at new car lots and going to any auto show I'm lucky enough to be close to just to take in the new, but to see a sticker on something like an extended Escalade and see it popping past $70k, and that new Caddy roadster pushing $100k....crazy.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
brainzz_n_dong said:
For instance, if I were sick with cancer, I'd want the best options that the scientific community has to offer and couple that with my religious faith to fight the rest of the battle.
ah, right, you're just a moron. thanks, i guess that wraps up this discussion

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rikter8 said:

I've got an '86 Nissan pickup that just turned 20 years old with 306,000 miles. Its still going strong. I'll drive it until, as you said, the structural integrity is gone. The interior is a bit shopworn but, economically, its pure gravy.