Al Gore?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by snoozan, Oct 12, 2007.

1. snoozan

Gold Member

2. B_Edward Yawn

B_Edward Yawn New Member

Al Gore invented global warming and ancient Chinese wisdom.

3. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

well deserved! An Oscar, an Emmy and now the Nobel.

Of course, he also won the presidency in November 2000, but some crazed ideologue (who now has the lowest approval rating of any president ever) and a bunch of shithead insincere hypocritical Bible-thumpers lead by the very evil Dick Cheney stole it.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

You certainly chose an appropriate name.

Yawn.

5. lorne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    don't forget this is also the man who invented the internet! Without hims we wouldn't have this!

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

What she said

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ah, you just pointed out how ignorant you are, and that you should stop listening to Rush Coulter and Ann Limbaugh and Pope Bill O'reilly III.

You do realize that they are lying when they claim that he claimed that, right?

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for that, DC.

Personally, I'm glad to see him named as co-recipient of the award. Whether you're a believer or a science denier or somewhere in between, you cannot discount the importance he's had in elevating public awareness of these issues.

9. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

DC, read and decide for yourself. Obviously it is a jab at Al Gore's self importance. I am sure Jon Stewart vets all his jokes and jibes.

Al Gore controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main article: Al Gore contributions to the internet and technology#1999 CNN interview
    Al Gore was involved in the development and mainstreaming of the Internet as both Senator and Vice-President. Campbell-Kelly and Aspray note in Chapter 12 of their 1996 text, Computer: A History of the Information Machine, that up until the early 1990s public usage of the Internet was limited. They continue to state that the "problem of giving ordinary Americans network access had exercised Senator Al Gore since the late 1970s" leading him to develop legislation which would alleviate this problem. [3] Gore thus began to craft the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 (commonly referred to as "The Gore Bill" [4]) after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network[5] submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science, Leonard Kleinrock, one of the central creators of the ARPANET (the ARPANET, first deployed by Kleinrock and others in 1969, is the predecessor of the Internet). [6]
    In 1999, various media outlets suggested that Gore claimed that he "invented the internet" [7], [8] in reference to a CNN interview in which he said, "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system." [9]
    In response to this controversy, Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn wrote a 2000-09-29 article (originally sent via email) which described Gore's contributions to the Internet since the 1970s, including his work on the Gore Bill:[10]
    “[A]s the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time. Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective. As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept.”

10. SoFla8

SoFla8 New Member

Albums:
    As a moderate I think Gore deserved the award. Allthough I didn't agree with his political stance, I think his crusade to expose global warming and environmental issues is worthy. The cause of global warming is the question we need answered now.

11. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

Here is what I would like to see is his complete pandering to tobacco farmers when he was an upstart senator. They have film on it. It is just so reminiscent of his pandering to the sky is falling crowd. He just makes money along the way. Do you realize he is one of the top entertainer in the world and he gets a lot of his money tax free.

12. vinny_spiruccino

Gold Member

Albums:
    So did Jerry Falwell...

13. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

I would like to start a crusade where I made $100 million along the way.

14. SoFla8

SoFla8 New Member

Albums:

Supporting, backing, promoting, & being "involved in" is a hell of a long way from actually Inventing anything!

15. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

What is your stance? People like Rush or Coulter shouldn't make a joke about him saying he "created" the Internet?

"During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the internet." - Al Gore.

Stewart would have crucified any Republican for saying something like that. But I agree it is taken out of context, funny nonetheless.

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm not sure which part of the article you quoted that you actually diasgree with. I still didn't see the part where he says, "I created the internet." His wording in one phrase was perhaps not the best, but still...

17. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

I picked it out in the last post. As I said, it is out of context, but it is funny.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Ah, I see it now - you were posting as I was typing.

You see, though, the thing is, (you keep bringing up Jon Stewart, so I'll go with that) Jon Stewart presents his jabs at the conservatives/republicans as little slices of truth, sprinkled liberally (so to speak) with humor. Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh take microscopic pieces of truth, huge chunks of conjecture and outright lies, and present it as serious news, and more outrageous egregious treasonous behavior from the liberals.

Stewart's intent is to make people laugh at his targets; Coulter's and Limbaugh's intent is to make people foam at the mouth with rage at their targets.

19. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

I admit I watch very little Stewart, but he is funny. Besides him and Bill Maher (who I watch and can be funny) there were no Liberals close to being funny.

Rush is funny and he is very factual. Laura Ingram is very funny. If you would like to post something (lets make it topical or recent) about a lie that Rush stated, have at 'er. He is most often right. I only listen small amounts of time so give me a link and we can discuss.

20. funnyguy

funnyguy Active Member

Albums:
    He is NOT keeping the money! He is going to give it to an environmental organization

Draft saved Draft deleted