Al Sharpton

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Shelby, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Shelby

Gold Member

Somebody ought to lynch that race baiting sob.

I hope Tiger tells him to fuck off.

2. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Al sharpton. He's under investigation for manipulating money; I eventually think the time will come when he will be disgraced. Currently, he's a news item in the same form of Paris Hilton. He's around, he says stupid things and gets press covereage.

The other comments directed toward Tiger Woods are inexcuseable. Retard racist humor has no place on the airwaves.

I think Tiger Woods is a bore. All he knows is golf, a sport I find dull.

3. Osiris

Gold Member

I saw that story last night on MSNBC. Whereas "lynch" may have been a bad choice of words given the old Tiger Woods - Fuzzy Zeller scandal, the Rev went WAY overboard. I honestly am debating writing a letter to the netowrk in protest if they fire this woman.

When are people going to understand, color commentators don't always have the time to do "mental edits"? They are there, live and working against a fast ticking clock. Things will get said. The only way you are going to keep this from happening is to just show the sports and have no commentary. Yeah I'd REALLY watch that. (SNORE!)

Revernd Al needs to stick to doing what he does best and stop being the world's moral compass. Reverend Al is best at constructive discussion on race relations and peaceful resolution of these issues. The problem is when he gets whipped into a frenzy, he just goes over the top and becomes a "media whore". He needs to get on black folks about how they talk about themselves before getting on the rest of the world.

4. bimmli

bimmli Member

I used to live in NY and remember when the "Reverand" Al Sharpton involved himself in the Tawana Brawley hoax. He knew she was lying about being raped by white cops but used her to further his own personal goals. He is the lowest of low because by doing so he clouds the real issues.

And one other thing, where was he after the attacks on the World Trade Center. This was a time when people from all ethnic/races acted as real AMERICANS and came together to show their solidarity.

He is a divider....not a unifier.

5. Osiris

Gold Member

I can't argue with that. I still hate the whole Tawana Brawley thing. Everyone suffered but him.

6. Fire Agate

Fire Agate New Member

i cant stand al sharpton or any of those other guys who only show up in racially charged situations
    i have an idea make every situation be a racist one so i can get on tv

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly. It's sad that he doesn't realize he's become a caricature that nobody with any sense lends any credence to.

8. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    But at least he sticks up for his people. I can't really say I have seen Tiger speak for the black community, ever.

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with you on this, O. When I first heard of the snafu my mind went into "devil's advocate" mode. After all, we all hope (or say we hope) for the day when we all become so colorblind that such a reference could not possibly be (racially) offensive to anyone. So, (playing that devil's advocate), perhaps that is what occurred here, I rationed. Maybe for one brief instance she totally forgot Tiger's race and spoke completely "off the cuff".

On the other hand, one must admid "lynch" was a particularly poor choice of words... perhaps the worst... Couldn't she have said "mugged"? Geez.

The choice of words is inescapably "unfortunate". But considering the press it has already received (and the subsequent apologies and suspension) I think "firings" should not be necessary. Tiger Woods (ever the gentleman) has risen above the brouhaha by accepting the apology... said it was a non-issue with him. In light of that anything further seems to smack of "overkill".

Unfortunately, as you suggest, sensationalism over this (on the part of Sharpton) tends (I think) to undermine any otherwise good work he may have done in other venues. And generally it undermines "the cause".

10. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've always wondered who voted Al Sharpton the African American Moral Compass. Was there a vote that no one heard of? Why is HIS word the definitive word on on race relations?

I look at Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and I see two prominate (sp) African Americans who have done well for themselves and I keep asking myself: "How have these two men helped other African American acheive the same success that they have?"

The answer I WANT to say is they haven't. The reason I say that is that I don't know if they have helped other African Americans who started with nothing get jobs on major news stations. I don't know if they have helped other African Americans become millionaires (outside of sueing someone). I don't know if they have helped other African Americans get their own radio shows. I don't know if they have helped African Americans move up the economic ladder.

What I SEE is that Al Sharpton tends to use situations to his advantages not necessarily to the advantage of the people whom he is supposed to be helping.

So let me ask you, my fellow LPSGers, do you know of any African Americans that Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson has helped to reach the finanical levels that they have without having to sue someone to get it?

Sklar

11. lucky8

Gold Member

i blame the media...honestly...who gives a fuck about al sharpton...he's just as racist as anyone else. dude only adds fuel to fires

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    His people? Most black folks I know feel more enmity towards him than anyone else does...and are quite insulted by the notion that he somehow represents either them personally or black people as a group.

As for Tiger, he's of mixed-race heritage...and I find it immensely respectable that he's never been one to stoop to racial pandering.

13. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Yes, Al and brother Jesse keep things stirred up as usual. It's to bad that they get so much tv time. I wished the media would just ignore them.

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Apparently some people enjoy listening to the likes of Al Sharpton bloviating just like some people enjoy listening to Limbaugh, Coulter and clones bloviating.

15. Osiris

Gold Member

Well said. I don't know where he got the unofficial title, but I thik it was out of the Tawana Brawley morass. If you really look at it, there are no more Medgar Evers, Dr. Martin Luther Kings, or Coretta Scott Kings. Myrlie Evers is the last of the ilk and she is quiet these days. I choose to think that because ther is more power in the hands of the individual now than there was back then. I'm not saying we don't need a voice, but I think we as individuals now know how to organize a group voice and that is what they taught us.

As for Jackson and Sharpton, both cut their teeth with Dr. King and pretty much got their status in the name of "continuing his work."

16. lucky8

Gold Member

o ya...i just remembered...black people arent the only people in history to have been lynched. im sure that in the vast history of the last 2000-3000 years....hundreds of thousands of whites, asians, and latinos have been lynched too...wtf is so offensive about saying that...everyone lynched in Salem was white, but i wouldnt bitch about a black dude saying someone wanted to lynch me. people just need to smoke more weed and chill out...too much time on their hands apparently

17. Osiris

Gold Member

I agree that lynching is not exclusive to black folk, but it really would not have been an issue if Sharpton hadn't said anything. Even Tiger's people said it was evident that they were joking and meant no harm by it.

Like someone else said, you have to hand it to Tiger for being above this mess and never playing the race card.

18. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    But it is reverend al, and no one else, who sits up there on TV and debates with those running for president (or at least demo nominee). Him being there forces all of them to discuss issues regarding the black community. Do you really think edwards or kerry or anyone else really gives a shit about those issues? It is almost comical to watch when he debates with them.

19. Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff New Member

I find it rather funny that anytime an African-American fellow with some religious moniker before his name appears on the telly in some outraged snit he is given the honorific "Black Leader" by the media. And despite the fact that said black leader was not elected to his exhalted position by actual black people and that black people are as varied in their politics and opinions as any other people, still these charlatans are deemed the go-to spokesman whenever there is any perceived racial incident and their opinions are received as canonical law by the same media what annointed them in the first place. It's a form of circlejerk where an actual brother can't seem to get a hand.

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would find it funny as well, if this nation weren't people with so many easily-led sheep who not only buy into such sensational misdirection, but will actually act upon it.

Draft saved Draft deleted