Alberto Gonzales is Gone!

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Before you all begin to jumping up and down celebrating you might want yet to think on what the prospects are on who will replace him. It is a safe bet that no matter who it is the left will not like her or him.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I predicted this some months back. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm not sure that Chertoff will be a massive improvement, but any improvement at all is appreciated. My biggest concern is that he will carry a conflict of interest from his current post.

I imagine that there will be some blatant violations of law discovered, and Gonzo will escape prosecution on felony (maybe even treason) charges, simply because he is no longer in that position.

Personally, I think Gonzales needs to be in jail, for a long, long time.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wish I could feel excited about this resignation, but I have a feeling that Gonzales will show up for work on September 18 as usual. When questioned, he'll insist that he doesn't recall having resigned.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If Abu Gonzalez had any innate qualifications for the job beyond being a toady and a yes-man for the Bush family for decades, he failed to display them during his term as AG.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To the folks who say both parties are bad, that it doesn't matter which one you vote for, yadda yadda yadda, I ask:

If Arlen Specter were still the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee instead of Patrick Leahy, would Gonzales (or Rove, for that matter) have resigned?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a rare pleasure to wake up to hearing some good news on the radio.

Who ever replaces him, if abybody in the admin has earned anything, will likely try to avoid controversy.

There is an excellent short list of a score unemployed former federal attorneys:biggrin1:.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To the folks who say both parties are bad, that it doesn't matter which one you vote for, yadda yadda yadda, I ask:

If Arlen Specter were still the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee instead of Patrick Leahy, would Gonzales (or Rove, for that matter) have resigned?
It appears that you quoted me... I do say that both parties are corrupt and not deserving of any political power; I have never once said it doesn't matter which one you vote for.

As for Specter v. Leahy, I just don't know. What is the correct answer to your question?

Great, now he's gonna be replaced by that Clement guy, who was involved in that Bong Hits 4 Jesus fiasco...

The Bush Administration is like a neocon hydra - cut one head off, and another one grows right back at the same place. Where's Hercules when you need him?
I have only seen the speculations about Chertoff, none about Clement. Source, please? The whole "bong hits 4 jesus" debacle was just absolutely disgusting.

And for your comment about the hydra - I'm sending you a (brotherly, non-sexual) e-kiss on the cheek for that one.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great, now he's gonna be replaced by that Clement guy, who was involved in that Bong Hits 4 Jesus fiasco...

The Bush Administration is like a neocon hydra - cut one head off, and another one grows right back at the same place. Where's Hercules when you need him?

You know what I think is so funny about that whole Bong Hits 4 Jesus issue? The religious right that usually sides with the president, sided with the kid in this case. Funny how the worm turns huh Burns1de?:biggrin1:

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have only seen the speculations about Chertoff, none about Clement. Source, please? The whole "bong hits 4 jesus" debacle was just absolutely disgusting.

Sorry, forgot to link the source - here it is.

And for your comment about the hydra - I'm sending you a (brotherly, non-sexual) e-kiss on the cheek for that one.

LOL, thanks. :up:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the link, burnie!

<sigh> I still want to know why Gonzo was never held accountable for his blatant lies (under oath) to the Congress during their investigations...

I'm guessing that's one of the reasons behind his resignation (and maybe that of Rover, too.) Assuming (probably correctly) that resignation prior to final determination of guilt will protect him (them) from prosecution.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Leahy could make trouble for Abu Gonzalez, and did. And that was a good thing. But I don't understand how Leahy's influence could have forced an unaccountable, non-office-holding advisor like Karl Rove to leave the White House. If Rove survived several subpeonas in the Plame affair, how did Leahy cause him succumb now? Can you elaborate?