Alberto Gonzales is Gone!

Leahy could make trouble for Abu Gonzalez, and did. And that was a good thing. But I don't understand how Leahy's influence could have forced an unaccountable, non-office-holding advisor like Karl Rove to leave the White House. If Rove survived several subpeonas in the Plame affair, how did Leahy cause him succumb now? Can you elaborate?

It wasn't just Leahy. Both Rove and Gonzales infuriated congressional GOPers who felt that their presence was hindering any hope for a GOP win in November. The Republicans, to save face, generally didn't air their opinions and it was very likely part of the deal after Bush had the White House sit-down with the congressional GOP leaders. He would still get tacit support for his war in exchange for lopping off a few heads. It's all about November 2008 now.

Pelosi may have promised no impeachments but she's not in control of the House. Getting rid of Gonzales would have been easy and the Dems had enough votes on their own to do the job. Gonzales pretty much thumbed his nose at congress; a stupid mistake. His own party or not, congress tends to become infuriated when its authority isn't respected. Congressional GOPers couldn't defend Gonzales if the House Dems threatened impeachment and as only a simple majority vote would be needed to remove him, the votes would be far easier to get. The GOP members couldn't just continue to defend him when he flouted congressional authority so brazenly. No, Gonzales was an embarrassment.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gonzalez, Rove, Rumsfeld, Snow/McLellan/Fleischer, Powell, Brownie, Tenet.. is this unusual for a president's second term or is it just that in previous administrations the bit players didn't get as much air time? I can barely recall anyone in the Clinton cabinet, if one of them resigned I probably wouldn't have noticed. Every time a Bush team member does it's big news, and the Dems treat it as some kind of victory... as if Bush won't just replace whoever resigns with another inept party loyalist.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Every time a Bush team member does it's big news, and the Dems treat it as some kind of victory... as if Bush won't just replace whoever resigns with another inept party loyalist.
Well, I'm guessing that the reason anyone is taking notice of these is because they've each been embroiled in some scandal in recent memory. But you are correct that the dems shouldn't rejoice, until they see who the replacement is.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So, another domino in the lineup has toppled. The AG is dead...long live the AG, right?

I wish I could rejoice in this event, but a dozen cliches are swirling around in my head at various volumes right now...the loudest seeming to be too little, too late.

I wish I could feel an elated sense of vindication, but there's only the hollow ring of observing inevitability proceed before me, like watching rivulets flow downhill.

As much as political corruption is presumed in this nation, any evidence I ever needed that this administration was truly festering came when Colin Powell announced that he would not be reprising his role of Bush Mouthpiece...er...Sec'y of State for a second term. That numerous other cabinet-level appointees followed suit was simply something of an exclamation mark.

Anyhow, unless the Solicitor General has the biggest nutsack on the planet, my opinion is that this move simply makes official the effective impotence we've witnessed from the DoJ since W took office. I'd point out that it means our justice system is now absent the person who should be its greatest advocate, but how would that be any different than the past six years?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can barely recall anyone in the Clinton cabinet, if one of them resigned I probably wouldn't have noticed. Every time a Bush team member does it's big news, and the Dems treat it as some kind of victory... as if Bush won't just replace whoever resigns with another inept party loyalist.

First of all, I think we treat it not so much a "victory", but as shining a light on cockroaches -- we know it doesn't kill the roaches, and we know there'll be more, but at least we're making the case that the public shouldn't be eating what these people feed you anymore.

As for resignations during Clinton's administration, there were 13. (Federico Pena resigned as Secretary of Transportation to accept the post of Secretary of Energy; I'm not counting this "lateral move" among the 13.) So far -- with still a year left in Bush's term -- there have been 16. So numerically, there seems to be little significant difference.

However, Clinton had an opposite-party Congress for six of his eight years in office that hounded him on everything from Whitewater to blue dresses. Bush has had an opposite-party Congress for just over seven months, which is finally exercising long-overdue oversight that the Republican leadership neglected to do.

As a result, the circumstances leading to the resignations in Clinton's cabinet tended not to drag out and escalate. Except for the Henry Cisneros resignation, most of his other resignations were reasonably uncontroversial and faded from the nightly news cycles in a short time. Conversely, Bush is experiencing many high-profile resignations in a short time that should have occurred much earlier, but were allowed to fester and spiral out of control.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Love the instant anti-Gonzalez rhetoric. This is purely politics. If you disagree, please compare him to prior AGs...especially those of Clinton.

Exactly.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I predicted this some months back. I'm glad he's gone, but I'm not sure that Chertoff will be a massive improvement, but any improvement at all is appreciated. My biggest concern is that he will carry a conflict of interest from his current post.

I imagine that there will be some blatant violations of law discovered, and Gonzo will escape prosecution on felony (maybe even treason) charges, simply because he is no longer in that position.

Personally, I think Gonzales needs to be in jail, for a long, long time.
Agreed, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

If Abu Gonzalez had any innate qualifications for the job beyond being a toady and a yes-man for the Bush family for decades, he failed to display them during his term as AG.
True.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hopefully he can recall resigning tomorrow morning.

*sigh*

Someone already said it

Hee Hee.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First of all, I think we treat it not so much a "victory", but as shining a light on cockroaches -- we know it doesn't kill the roaches, and we know there'll be more, but at least we're making the case that the public shouldn't be eating what these people feed you anymore.

As for resignations during Clinton's administration, there were 13. (Federico Pena resigned as Secretary of Transportation to accept the post of Secretary of Energy; I'm not counting this "lateral move" among the 13.) So far -- with still a year left in Bush's term -- there have been 16. So numerically, there seems to be little significant difference.

However, Clinton had an opposite-party Congress for six of his eight years in office that hounded him on everything from Whitewater to blue dresses. Bush has had an opposite-party Congress for just over seven months, which is finally exercising long-overdue oversight that the Republican leadership neglected to do.

As a result, the circumstances leading to the resignations in Clinton's cabinet tended not to drag out and escalate. Except for the Henry Cisneros resignation, most of his other resignations were reasonably uncontroversial and faded from the nightly news cycles in a short time. Conversely, Bush is experiencing many high-profile resignations in a short time that should have occurred much earlier, but were allowed to fester and spiral out of control.

Hmmm, Cisneros, Pena, William Perry, and whom can forget Espy... those are 4 Clinton cabinet appointees under a cloud of scandal, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more.

Regardless...

Will be good to see a Dem in there, with the way politics is going... so much scrutiny and monday morning quarterbacking... hopefully the populus will see all this for what it is, and call a spade a spade.

Can someone substantiate Janet Reno firing 93 attorneys ????!!! Hypocrisy in it's finest hour.

In case ppl haven't been keeping score...

A Democrat Party-led Congress has an approval rating lower than Bush's for the 7 months of control... what does that tell you....

...and you think Alberto Gonzalez is the problem. Lawdy.

and while we're at it... where's the accolades to Bush on diversity in his cabinet.... (absences and crickets from the leftist mainstream media) on names like Powell, Rice, Gonzalez, Chao, Martinez, Jackson, etc... had they all been Hillary appointees it would be considered landmark... someone recount for me the number of African-Americans Clinton appointed....

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Albert gonzales tried to say Habeus Corpus does not necessarily apply to all American citizens.

He should be swinging from a gallows.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hmmm, Cisneros, Pena, William Perry, and whom can forget Espy... those are 4 Clinton cabinet appointees under a cloud of scandal, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more.

Espy? Maybe you didn't follow the verdict. The jury not only acquitted the guy, but as CNN puts it, "repudiated" the prosecutor's botched and ego-driven investigation.

Cisneros is fair game -- I've already conceded that bad apple.

As for Pena and Perry, there's a difference between a "scandal" and simply underperforming. If you can identify what was "scandalous" about their careers in office, I'm willing to listen.

Can someone substantiate Janet Reno firing 93 attorneys ????!!! Hypocrisy in it's finest hour.
Are you serious? Every administration "fires 93 attorneys" at the beginning of their term of office. From the United States Attorneys' Manual (I've added the bold-face):

United States Attorneys are appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate for a four-year term. See 28 U.S.C. Sec. 541. Upon expiration of this term, the United States Attorney continues to perform the duties of the office until a successor is confirmed. United States Attorneys are subject to removal at the will of the President. See Parsons v. United States, 167 U.S. 314 (1897).
When a new president takes over, that new president nominates 93 United States Attorneys (that's how many there are), but retains the services of the old ones temporarily until the nominees have been confirmed. Janet Reno "fired" each of the outgoing attorneys, whose terms had ended, and whose successors had been confirmed. John Ashcroft also "fired" 93 attorneys in the same manner.

It's completely misleading and unfair to compare what Albert Gonzales did to the spelled-out custom that all new administrations follow. Your accusation of "hypocrisy" is uncalled-for.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Love the instant anti-Gonzalez rhetoric. This is purely politics. If you disagree, please compare him to prior AGs...especially those of Clinton.

Exactly.
Rhetoric? Oh please. Do you actually know anything about what his job is supposed to be, and what he has actually done while in the AG position?

Will be good to see a Dem in there, with the way politics is going... so much scrutiny and monday morning quarterbacking... hopefully the populus will see all this for what it is, and call a spade a spade.
I believe that's exactly what's happening. Hopefully, you will eventually see it for what it is, instead of what Coulter, Hannity, and Limbaugh tell you it is.
More on that in a moment, I'll combine that with mindseye's comments...
and while we're at it... where's the accolades to Bush on diversity in his cabinet.... (absences and crickets from the leftist mainstream media) on names like Powell, Rice, Gonzalez, Chao, Martinez, Jackson, etc... had they all been Hillary appointees it would be considered landmark... someone recount for me the number of African-Americans Clinton appointed....
Is that a fact, or your considered opinion, given to you by the above-mentioned pundits?
Are you serious? Every administration "fires 93 attorneys" at the beginning of their term of office. From the United States Attorneys' Manual (I've added the bold-face):
<...>
It's completely misleading and unfair to compare what Albert Gonzales did to the spelled-out custom that all new administrations follow. Your accusation of "hypocrisy" is uncalled-for.
Accurate, but incomplete. The controversy was not replacing all 93 US Attorneys. The controversy was (1) firing a few more mid-term, after they had been seated; (2) claiming that the mid-term firings were for "poor job performance," when the evidence seems to indicate it was not job performance, but political motivation; (3) lying to the Judiciary Committe during hearings into the firings.

The fact is, some of the US attorneys weren't prosecuting some high-profile cases the way the White House wanted them to. Stacking the courts and eliminating the separation of powers is not ethical government. The executive deserves every invecive thrown their way. Party loyalty trumps judicial ethics? I don't think so, and it's about time some in the executive branch were held accountable.