Alex Rodriguez Apologizes For Steroids

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

Admitted it and apologized.

Of course a year after he looked into the cameras and totally lied about it and he only came forward after being caught out red-handed

another cheater exposed.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    My hunch is that the use of performance enhancing drugs is rampant among professional athletes and the ones who get caught are the TIP of the iceberg.......One of the "popular" ones, Human Growth Hormone, isn't even detectable by blood tests.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

true...but they also have the list of 104 other players in Baseball who failed a steroids test...i say publish it, name and shame.

we do have a right to know who is cheating in our sports.

in some sports, the use of performance enhancing drugs are not as important, like in sports where huge muscle size and power is not as efficient...(like Football vs. Tennis)

but i am sure that in sports like cycling and swimming and tennis there are other enhancers that are about increasing other more pertinent athletic performance dimensions for that specific sport than sheer muscle strength and power.

4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Is it because it's a banned substance, or because it's performance enhancing.

Been thinking, it shouldn't be legal for someone in the NFL to go into the locker room and get cortisone shots... you are cheating in that same regard. The player cannot perform the same, than without them. Cortisone is just publicly legal...

5. Smooth88

Smooth88 New Member

Albums:
    As long as Pujols isnt cheating I say theres hope for a clean HR King. And nobody brings this up but I say in these times of roids Ken Griffey Jr. getting hurt time after time because hed be approaching if not past Bonds if he never got hurt.

6. lucky8

Gold Member

I find this really interesting. On the one hand, you can't really test every athlete because that would wipe out like 1/2 of pro sports. But on the other hand, they are cheating and would not be where they are without the drugs. But then again, the same can be said about many adults in the business world who take prescription drugs such as Adderall or anti-depression or anxiety medicine...there's a large number of people who would not be where they are today if they didn't have their little bar of xanax to take before that important meeting...it's kind of a double edged sword in my eyes

7. jayfromnyc

jayfromnyc New Member

Albums:
    You're right, they all are "sorry" only after being caught. He had 5 years to come clean!!!
    A-rod's new name is: A - roid!!!

8. transformer_99

Gold Member

9. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

Thank you were do we draw the line. Cocaine helps performance (believe you me)... but then again, there's a ton of borderline substances. After all, wasn't ARod's substance potentially not on the banned list at the time. That is still what's unclear.

Regardless... Troy Polamalu takes a shot to the ribs in a football game, gets three intense painkilling shots, so he can move and play again.???? That's not playing to the "normal" human condition... which is whole point.

Is it illegal, because the govt says it's cheating?? NO
    It's illegal due to the health condition.

What everyone is hung up (flasssssssssssssshy) is it gives an unfair advantage. There are plenty of legal ways to get around that as well too (see cortisone shots, which I think requires a prescription, as would steroids)... but that wasn't the point, right?

Otherwise, anyone testing postiive for ANY illegal substance should be ridiculed. Maybe a star reliever de-copes with the stress and heat with a doobie every night... is that right?

10. SpoLLe

Gold Member

What a piece of shit.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

Nothing is borderline. Players in Major LEague Baseball are not allowed to take *ANY* illegal substances, be it performance enhancing drugs or illegal drugs or any banned substance. To do so is against the rules.

Commisioner Fay Vincent said this clearly in a 1991 memo to all major league baseball teams and the Union

"players were forbidden from taking any illegal substance. He specifically mentioned steroids in the memo and encouraged the clubs to take a get-tough policy on players thought to be using steroids."

Vincent was on the record that steroid use was against the rules.

players were not tested till 2003...steroids, and all other illegal substances were still banned and against the rules of baseball.

things that are allowed to be used, such as cortisone shots, or pain pills are well known to be within the rules that are the agreed upon types of medications allowed to be used by athletes depending on the rules of the governing body of the sports they participate in.

If a drug is on the banned list, it is banned. Players may not use it without breaking the rules of their sport...be that drug illegal or performance enhancing.

12. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

#12 MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  13. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

no offense but i dont think you know the pro's and con's as well as u think u do. the media over plays the cons of steriods and when done correctly they don't cause the damage people have been led to think they do. do some of your own research and don't be sheep. it made a rod put up incredible stats at the time and he was second in many categories only to barry bonds and we all know about that. it got him a 250million contract for god sakes. all that said i dont like his apology and i can't stand how he tried to play it off like he didn't know what was going on. but either way we already knew he was A fraud.

14. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Man, I know precisely and exactly what the pros and cons of steroids use are

Since A) A friend of mine used them, and stopped with my help. I saw the results 1st hand

And B) I did an extensive report on them for a night school health class with articles from various articles in magazines Like NEWSWEEK, PEOPLE, and some books from my local library.

:rant:Apologies produce nothing but the mere fact that you've been caught and are trying to get people to look at you for taking responsibility. Big deal! It just proves he couldn't do it on his own.

You know, Nolan Ryan was busted recently too, only he didn't get this much publicity. And this was a forty something year old guy throwing 97 MPH pitches.

15. EL_Duderino

EL_Duderino New Member

like i said the way the media portrays them is not really all that truthful. Probably the first story that actualyl didnt' just say they were awful was aired on hbo real sports some time last year. and having one friend use them and stop doesn't make you an expert. mind u i dont put anything into my body other than what i eat including medicine from my dr. unless it's critical, but i also know a lot of people who have used steriods over the years and when done right the cons are not what most people think. I just don't like how most people just eat up what the media says. there are more deaths a year from smoking or drinking or cocaine etc etc etc... yet steriods stories are always on the news and people are always talking about how they are destroying everything and they are so super risky. fuck.... more people die from prescription drugs than steriods by far. steriod deaths are very rare and in most cases they occur in people who had serious heart issues before hand. but you also have to know its all about moderation. and not everyone who takes steriods is a raving lunatic like the media would make u believe. there are a lot of people who have taken them for a long time and are just fine and are well adjusted citizens. the gov of cali comes to mind just off the top of my head. also not all steriods are the same so lumping them all in together really doesn't make a lot of sense.

16. transformer_99

Gold Member

Enter the Phillies Ryan Howard, know he's a youngster, but the man can crush the baseball. Fastest to hit 100 homers already. 5 seasons, his first he played 19 games, then 88, the other 3 are roughly full seasons. He has 177 HR's.

Fewest games for 100 HR's = 325, the prior record was 385, 60 games earlier.
    Fewest games for 150 HR's = 495, the prior record was 569, 74 games earlier.

Like any home run hitter he strikes out too. Then again he gets walked as well. He was walked 5 times in a 9 inning game in 2006.

17. nay-nay

nay-nay New Member

what an idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted