Alex8 and others

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I haven't been on LPSG much lately and it's been even longer since I posted (except for a Word Association blip), but this is worth making the effort. Whose posts any member does or doesn't like on here is entirely subjective. In terms of the people who post frequently and really make their presence known here, it follows that they will have some fans and they will probably also have detractors. Why someone would choose to start a thread based on his own personal response to another member's general contributions here is puzzling to me... and why pm someone to say something like that either? Just use the Ignore feature.

More importantly, alex8 is absolutely one of my favorite posters. He's whip-smart, cultured, with a bone-dry sense of humor and great timing :rolleyes: and he doesn't even get annoyed when I keep trying to stroke his straight 10%. He's talked me off the ledge here several times (ok, not so much talked me off the ledge as talked me out of throwing a molotov cocktail), which means not only is he all of the above, but he also has a good heart. When I trundle back to LPSG after adventures in the real world, his is one of the first "voices" I seek out.

So in MY subjective opinion, alex8 rocks! :hug:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
rawbone8 said:
I suppose it might seem hostile to the shy or occasional poster who musters the will to initiate a thread and then finds unwelcome intrusions of sarcasm or thread jacking.

Very well said. I should have added this point to my post in the "Guy Talk" thread (quoted below) but couldn't find the right way to express it at the time.

I enjoy it when a stupid thread is jacked and the OP ridiculed. Who doesn't? But I sometimes wonder who decides which threads are stupid and which ones are legitimate questions, because it isn't always crystal clear to me, anyway.

rob_just_rob said:
Speaking for myself, I have never posted an uncensored thought here.

That's not to say I don't discuss things here that I wouldn't discuss at (for example) an office party. It's easier to share candid thoughts with strangers with whom you aren't obliged to interact on a daily basis. But I am never completely open with my thoughts, even here.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Alex should be commended highly for the grace, wit and charm he has demonstrated in this thread. Alex had a golden opportunity to act like an jackass here and yet chose to ignore that temptation.

If everyone had the character and mindset that Alex has, we wouldn't have all the trouble we have in this world.

By taking the high road, Alex has let the author of this thread become without question the one who has problems.

Alex's stature just grew as this thread unraveled.

mjcp

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Alex is certainly the coolest of the cool, the smartest of the smart, and the sexiest of the sexy. If I didn't know better, I'd think he started this thread under a fake name just so that everyone would leap to his defense and say nice things about him.

Hey, wait a minnit....

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mjcp said:
Alex is certainly the coolest of the cool, the smartest of the smart, and the sexiest of the sexy. If I didn't know better, I'd think he started this thread under a fake name just so that everyone would leap to his defense and say nice things about him.

Hey, wait a minnit....

Oh, that's devious- I love it!

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Freddie53 said:
By taking the high road, Alex has let the author of this thread become without question the one who has problems.

Alex's stature just grew as this thread unraveled.

Gotta say, I agree with Freddie. Alex was under no obligation to post a very lengthy message discussing his participation on the board. TBTB, if you have a specific issue, you should have addressed it.

This case of the Catty, Gay Big-Dicked LPSG Members is over. The litigants for our next case are on their way into the courtroom.

The-Bigger-the-Better

Cherished Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I believe that the dynamics of this website has changed. Do I feel the need to point out specific instances when someone has posted something that seems disrespectful or "catty" in a post? No. I don't.

I think that people are well aware of what they write.

My reasoning for posting this topic was not to personally attack an specifric person, I agree that calling out someone by name may not have been very "diplomatic". My intentions really were just to point out what I see as a negative trend that seems to be occurring more and more in this site.

The-Bigger-the-Better

Cherished Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hung Muscle said:
One man's whiny, complaining troll is another's well-hung, reasonable hero.

Seriously, if the guy has a beef with someone, he deserves to be heard. Bigger has been on the board long enough to not need "the LPSG community" explained to him. In fact, he's been here longer than most people. I would just ask for specifics and not blanket recriminations.

First sentence!

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The-Bigger-the-Better said:
I believe that the dynamics of this website has changed. Do I feel the need to point out specific instances when someone has posted something that seems disrespectful or "catty" in a post? No. I don't.

I think that people are well aware of what they write.

My reasoning for posting this topic was not to personally attack an specifric person, I agree that calling out someone by name may not have been very "diplomatic". My intentions really were just to point out what I see as a negative trend that seems to be occurring more and more in this site.

Much better put BTB and a fair point I think.

We joined at roughly the same time yet I have posted 10 times as often.

I think if you do spend a long time here (or at any other forum site) you can get less tolerant of Newbies and I am guilty of this myself, yet if I look back at my earliest posts, I too was going over what must have been very old ground for the then regulars.

I won't be caustic to the inexperienced, but I will be catty to trolls. Can someone as macho and heterosexual as me be catty?

The-Bigger-the-Better

Cherished Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
novice_btm said:
I suppose, but if you know Alex, aside from the spending-too-much-time-at-the-computer aspect, none of that really applies to him, well, assuming you have a sense of humour. :tongue: Also, if someone has an issue with someone else, the adult thing to do, is to first approach that person one-on-one, and not blind-side them in a public forum. Now, as far as too much time at the computer goes, whether it refers to Alex of anyone else, in today's world, many people do most, or all of their work, in front of a computer, and if they're driven, and work non-stop, that means they're always there. Now, the leap to having a window with LPSG running in the background, isn't that big of a deal.

Perhaps the topic was presented reasonably, but it was also cowardly, ill-aimed (why not go after the abundant trolls, if you just need target practice), overly-generalized, and cheap. Personally, I hardly find anything heroic about that, but as Pendragon said, we all see things differently, and I support other opinions, just as I've expressed mine.

This confuses me as I am under no obligation to approach a STRANGER before I make a post...several of you have created friendships with one another and I think that is great...if you feel that a post maybe offensive to someone that you chat to or message by all means please ask them thier opinion of what they think before you post ....but understand this...and perhaps you can probably gauge my first post better...I rarely communicate with any of you...what I do is read as many new posts as I can...I have no bias ...what I commented on was something that I noticed as an OUTSIDER.

This is a really bad analogy and I will probably catch slack for it but ...if someone off the street drove a really dirty car...inside was full of empty cans...wrappers...etc. '

Someone might comment that the car owner must be a slob.

Now being personally connected to someone you can tell the person with the comment..."well it is a bad week...he just moved into a new house...he just lost his job...you may have insight...

However, that still doesnt change how a person originally presented themselves.

I love how you all defend each other I really do but there is no need. Cause at the end of the day everyone is right...everyones opinions are their own and can be inturpreted in any fashion...but then that being said when a comment is made should we be defensive or suprised?

You say I should have sent him a message...it is a public forum...why not keep it in the public...why should i say "I never meant to call someone out by name" Why shouldn't I hear "Man I never knew my response to a post could be offensive...I will look at them...I dont think they are... but in the event they are I will try to be more cautious"

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You say I should have sent him a message...it is a public forum...why not keep it in the public...why should i say "I never meant to call someone out by name"
I didn't say that. I said you should try the Ignore feature, since you seem to have trouble understanding alex's sense of humor (btw, this happens online frequently, especially if you don't know the person well).

Why shouldn't I hear "Man I never knew my response to a post could be offensive...I will look at them...I dont think they are... but in the event they are I will try to be more cautious"
How is that even possible? "I don't think my posts are offensive but in the event they are I will try to be more cautious." :confused: You have issues with some/all of alex8's comments, so he should try to predict your response to his next post and censor himself accordingly. Sorry, but if you expect the rest of the world to alter itself to suit your needs, you're in for a lot of disappointment in life.

Wilde316

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hell, Alex helped me find the one song that had been in my head driving me crazy to the point of mass murder, it would play day in and day out until I felt like I would scream, he helped me, for that he could be the biggest ass this side of Rita McNeil (canadian joke) and I'd still like him.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hung Muscle said:
This case of the Catty, Gay Big-Dicked LPSG Members is over. The litigants for our next case are on their way into the courtroom.

Are you the emcee of this program? Because if so, I'd like to apply to be part of the studio audience.

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I once arrived at a party. it was about 11:30, and people in there already had some drinks. There was a friend of mine, a british guy, excelent person, the kind that drinks pints of guiness and plays darts at a pub , while everybody is having a good time.
As I entered the party and lurked around, this dude came over, and, ( drunk as he was...) says, "Hey duuude"
and gives me this hug, then hit me on the back, shook me all over, hit me in the shoulders, stomach, he would not stop......

All of this was the drunken version of the cool shoulder pat, back pat, and the usual, duude, how are you doing??

It was more like I turned into a punching bag.....and he was yelling at me, it was not, duude, whats up... it was more like.

AGHHHHHHHHLJJHGGHHFDSRJKKH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I had to use some force to stop him, to bring him down from that cloud , in order to stop the craziness. I did not hit him or anything like that, but I had to be blunt and had to tell him that he was crossing the line.

I brought this experience here, because , when the party is already started , the newcomers are not in tune with what is going on, and, most of the time, party goers do not react as my buddy did to newcomers , and most newcomers are ready for what they will confront once they enter a party, it takes both sides to reach each other, making the transition a smoother one.

It takes two to comunicate, more caution on a new comer, and, more reaching on the already present is the way to achieve that understanding as soon as posible.

D_James Fenimore Pooper

Experimental Member
Media
what have you done!? you have singlehandedly started a post drawing in all the heavyweights of the board....this is gonna run and run....these guys need a break now and again, dont be so inconsiderate! haha

i form no opinion other than, read what you like, believe what you like, "end 'it day" its just some characters on a page; if you harbour feelings of offense or embaressment you must look within to find the reason why.

i.e. your insecure if you take things too seriously in the context of a msgboard.