All Male College, 1957

Jean Deaux

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was an incredible story. It was filled with emotions that I have not felt since I had a similar friend to Dusty in high school. I started tutoring him in a college prep course that grew to much more than a tutoring session. I went on to college and he dropped out of the world. I have tried to make contact with him since then but have been unable to locate him again. I owe him a lot, and would like to tell him what he meant to me, should we ever make contact again. I saw him the last time when I was invited back to speak at my university and he visited my hotel room--after I contacted him to tell him I would be there. I could tell he was intimidated that I had been able to attend university and he had not taken that route. I wonder, so much, how he is doing now since he taught me so much about life.

Reactions: DavidXL

Bashful_man

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I came on this beautiful story by accident as I was having problems getting LPSG to load! I started reading and could not put it down Until I just had to sleep or eat! You grabbed my heart and made me laugh and yes cry! I didn't go to college as I was one of the unfortionate people to get drafted in the Vietnam war era! I got to see the front line driving a supply truck carrying food and fuel to areas known to be heavily infiltrated with enemy. Never knowing when tragity would strike. However I had a very close buddy that was closer than others knew. When one day he was there and the next he was gone when I was told his Dad was on his deathbed and had gone home. Many nights I would cry for his presence and I felt so alone. As I had not been able to see or contact him, it seems he fell off the face of the earth. The closer I thought I was getting the farther I seem to drift away. Two years ago I found that he had not made it home, he had been Injured in an accident going to the airport and didnot survive. I must have cried for weeks it seemed, even though it was only for a couple days. Your story brought back those feeling once again as I felt the pain of Jack and Dusty's hearts.

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It was an incredible story. It was filled with emotions that I have not felt since I had a similar friend to Dusty in high school. I started tutoring him in a college prep course that grew to much more than a tutoring session. I went on to college and he dropped out of the world. I have tried to make contact with him since then but have been unable to locate him again. I owe him a lot, and would like to tell him what he meant to me, should we ever make contact again. I saw him the last time when I was invited back to speak at my university and he visited my hotel room--after I contacted him to tell him I would be there. I could tell he was intimidated that I had been able to attend university and he had not taken that route. I wonder, so much, how he is doing now since he taught me so much about life.

Thank you for your note and your kind words. It really is amazing the strength of memories and attachments to people we fall in love with at that age. I hope you are able to contact him!

I came on this beautiful story by accident as I was having problems getting LPSG to load! I started reading and could not put it down Until I just had to sleep or eat! You grabbed my heart and made me laugh and yes cry! I didn't go to college as I was one of the unfortionate people to get drafted in the Vietnam war era! I got to see the front line driving a supply truck carrying food and fuel to areas known to be heavily infiltrated with enemy. Never knowing when tragity would strike. However I had a very close buddy that was closer than others knew. When one day he was there and the next he was gone when I was told his Dad was on his deathbed and had gone home. Many nights I would cry for his presence and I felt so alone. As I had not been able to see or contact him, it seems he fell off the face of the earth. The closer I thought I was getting the farther I seem to drift away. Two years ago I found that he had not made it home, he had been Injured in an accident going to the airport and didnot survive. I must have cried for weeks it seemed, even though it was only for a couple days. Your story brought back those feeling once again as I felt the pain of Jack and Dusty's hearts.

Thank you as well for your note and recollection of your friend - how heartbreaking! I'm very sorry your lost him, particularly under such circumstances (the image of a young soldier in Vietnam crying to himself at night is very moving). Thanks again for reaching out, and I'm glad my story spoke to you.

AJnCJ

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, my college days were great. Close friendships with other males, which as a closeted gay man led to confusion and frustration. The little incidents that almost happened that didn't, which I regret to this day. The being a man, feeling like you were in your physical prime. Ahh, I'm sounding like the 51 year old guy that I am.

Agree - same sentiments

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Had some time this last weekend, so I reread the thread again, for the umpteenth
time from beginning to end.... Again it was a Wonderful expience!

It brought back, as before, many memories of the wonderful times and experiences
of my coming of age sexually. With each reading I relived the feelings of deep crushes
and blind idolization of both men and women that came and went during university,
and of the wonderful feelings that come forth...in the heart and the pit of the stomach..
when you feel like bursting from happiness and just taking a deep breath makes you
dizzy. Of course, there were the bad memories, too....of the disappointments, sadness,
and being sick to the stomach when things went bad. But, mostly there were good
and happy memories.

There were also some bad memories of the hard times we had to live through since it
was neccesary for all of us to live in a closet, where you had to be so careful and so
secretive and pray that you could keep your stories (lies) straight. Knowing who to let
in on your secrets was like playing Russian Roulette. One bad mistake and everything
was lost.

Dave, you know how much your story has meant to me, and I know you have touched
many, many more. Thank you again for letting us be a part of it.

GroteJongen

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
true masterpiece! i even let some of my friends read it because its sooo amazing! I never cry but David, you almost got me there a few times. Thank you for letting me feel these emotions

RG97

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have just finished reading this story! It was absolutely gorgeous... I am 19 and only just been able to admit to myself and the people around me that I am gay. I haven't yet told my parents: I don't know how to or when. This story has made me really appreciate how much nite freedom I have today than I would have back then to be who I truly am - in a way it makes me want to take that guy I have a crush on and kiss him in the middle of the street because I cam and there is no difference between the love of two men and the love of a man and a woman or anyone for that matter.

A mixture of raging boners and tearful eyes which I never thought you could experience from a story. I cant help but way dusty and jack could have found a way to live with his understanding mither in California but that is just not possible.

What I will take from this story is that i should never be afraid or nervous or shy when someone tries to hold my hand, hug me or kiss me in public. The world we live in is so much more understanding/accepting and I'm not sure how i would have navigated my way through that time period as i am struggling enough now.

I don't know how or when or even if i will come out to my parents but i hope one day that you wont have to come out as gay anymore because there will no longer be predetermined assumptions of who someone will or should fall in love with

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have just finished reading this story! It was absolutely gorgeous... I am 19 and only just been able to admit to myself and the people around me that I am gay. I haven't yet told my parents: I don't know how to or when. This story has made me really appreciate how much nite freedom I have today than I would have back then to be who I truly am - in a way it makes me want to take that guy I have a crush on and kiss him in the middle of the street because I cam and there is no difference between the love of two men and the love of a man and a woman or anyone for that matter.

A mixture of raging boners and tearful eyes which I never thought you could experience from a story. I cant help but way dusty and jack could have found a way to live with his understanding mither in California but that is just not possible.

What I will take from this story is that i should never be afraid or nervous or shy when someone tries to hold my hand, hug me or kiss me in public. The world we live in is so much more understanding/accepting and I'm not sure how i would have navigated my way through that time period as i am struggling enough now.

I don't know how or when or even if i will come out to my parents but i hope one day that you wont have to come out as gay anymore because there will no longer be predetermined assumptions of who someone will or should fall in love with

Dear RG97 – I was incredibly moved by your kind note and by the thought that my story spoke to you, particularly given your age. Jack is the age my father would be if he were still alive. I am the age of Jack’s son Chris, and I am more than old enough to be your father. I am in no position really to give anyone any advice on coming out and how they live their lives given the choices I made in my life, which were to try to ignore my same sex desires and focus on my opposite sex desires - even though I would have been open to having a boyfriend if any of the boys I loved would have loved me back (maybe they would have, but I kept my openness to myself, which made it pretty much moot!).

When I was 19, in the 1980s, I knew I liked both guys and girls and was able to choose to (mostly) ignore the guy stuff then and keep quiet about it given what was then a primary interest in girls. The 1980s were a different kind of awful than the 1950s from my 19 year old eyes. But, the emergence of AIDS, the near universal acceptance of homophobia, the dearth of positive messaging and role models made it a very rough time. Others had more courage than I did during those times, and I really applaud their courage and the dramatic changes they were able to accomplish for young people like you so that you are able to live a full, open, honest, and happy life if you choose to.

Things aren’t perfect today, but they are so much better than they used to be, at least in or near major cities in the US (I’m not sure where you are). I don’t know about your relationship with your parents, so I can’t advise you on what to do about them. But as a father myself, I know that parents (often, but not always) know their kids a lot better than kids think they do. It might not be a surprise to them. They may even surprise you. I do advise you to live a life that is open and true to yourself. You will be much, much happier.

I just finished reading a very beautiful (and very sexy!) novel called BEIJING COMRADES that was just translated into English this spring. My story hits many of the same notes as that one. I don’t think it is available as an e-book, but I saw that Amazon has used copies for $7. My local library had it, and I came across it by accident. (The New York Times and Publisher’s Weekly gave it great reviews, too). If you’re looking for smart, sexy read that that validates the beauty of same sex love, I highly, highly recommend it. I took Friday afternoon off, because I had to finish it. It is one of the best books I have read in recent years, and I think it will speak to you in the same ways.

I wish you the very best for falling in love and having a wonderful life.

All the best,

David

RG97

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dear RG97 – I was incredibly moved by your kind note and by the thought that my story spoke to you, particularly given your age. Jack is the age my father would be if he were still alive. I am the age of Jack’s son Chris, and I am more than old enough to be your father. I am in no position really to give anyone any advice on coming out and how they live their lives given the choices I made in my life, which were to try to ignore my same sex desires and focus on my opposite sex desires - even though I would have been open to having a boyfriend if any of the boys I loved would have loved me back (maybe they would have, but I kept my openness to myself, which made it pretty much moot!).

When I was 19, in the 1980s, I knew I liked both guys and girls and was able to choose to (mostly) ignore the guy stuff then and keep quiet about it given what was then a primary interest in girls. The 1980s were a different kind of awful than the 1950s from my 19 year old eyes. But, the emergence of AIDS, the near universal acceptance of homophobia, the dearth of positive messaging and role models made it a very rough time. Others had more courage than I did during those times, and I really applaud their courage and the dramatic changes they were able to accomplish for young people like you so that you are able to live a full, open, honest, and happy life if you choose to.

Things aren’t perfect today, but they are so much better than they used to be, at least in or near major cities in the US (I’m not sure where you are). I don’t know about your relationship with your parents, so I can’t advise you on what to do about them. But as a father myself, I know that parents (often, but not always) know their kids a lot better than kids think they do. It might not be a surprise to them. They may even surprise you. I do advise you to live a life that is open and true to yourself. You will be much, much happier.

I just finished reading a very beautiful (and very sexy!) novel called BEIJING COMRADES that was just translated into English this spring. My story hits many of the same notes as that one. I don’t think it is available as an e-book, but I saw that Amazon has used copies for $7. My local library had it, and I came across it by accident. (The New York Times and Publisher’s Weekly gave it great reviews, too). If you’re looking for smart, sexy read that that validates the beauty of same sex love, I highly, highly recommend it. I took Friday afternoon off, because I had to finish it. It is one of the best books I have read in recent years, and I think it will speak to you in the same ways.

I wish you the very best for falling in love and having a wonderful life.

All the best,

David

Thank you so much for the respond - I live in the North of England in the UK. I will absolutely look into the book you recommended. I don't know what I will do about my parents but I think bo need to rush into it - I am happy and enjoying life by being out to my friends and the people around me and not living at home means it does not intrude hugely in my life. I presume at some point I will tell them but for now i may just sit it out.

Thanks again for an amazing story

Onlyme7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Not really a regular here, more signed up put of curiosity. This is the first story I've read AL the way through, it's taken me around 2 weeks but I had to finish it.

Was quite disappointed when it ended actually as it's a great story. The end of it was almost like watching the end of toy Story 3 (toy Story fans will understand what i mean)

Reactions: RG97 and DavidXL

prism

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i hope you haven't given up on the story and are instead making a rough storyline already.

love this, it's one of my favorite stories here

Reactions: myjoystick

myjoystick

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i hope you haven't given up on the story and are instead making a rough storyline already.

I believe he is in the process of a sequel. He mentioned that a long time ago and I can't wait for that to come out! He also said he is going to take a break (not from LPSG) and I hope that means a few months and not a few years. :)

DavidXL

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I believe he is in the process of a sequel. He mentioned that a long time ago and I can't wait for that to come out! He also said he is going to take a break (not from LPSG) and I hope that means a few months and not a few years. :)

Hi, myjoystick and prism - thank you both very much for remembering this story and for your continued interest in it. I really appreciate the support, which is hugely motivating for me. Writing this story has meant a lot to me personally, and I will definitely come back to it and hope to start it up again before the end of the year (i.e., within the next couple of months).

I've blocked off Jack's freshman year as "book one" in my head. I will likely kick off book 2 with a chapter called "Naked Party Weekend" that recounts when the Magnificent 6 (now minus Freddy) reunite at David's family summer home on the Chesapeake Bay over 4th of July weekend and decide to hang out naked for the whole weekend. Nudity, skinny dipping, and boners will be on the menu.

Thanks again!