All-Region DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SteveWood, Aug 5, 2007.

1. SteveWood

SteveWood New Member

I need to replace my DVD player because, even though it works fine, it's several years old and thus unacceptably outdated. :smile: I want to upgrade to a DVD recorder, and ideally would like one that will play DVDs from all regions. I like weird foreign movies (no, not THAT kind, altho' they're fun, too) and would love to be able to order DVDs from non-North American sources.

So, here's the thing. There doesn't seem to be much of a selection at the usual big-box stores, and an on-line search drew hits from some dodgy suppliers. So ... any recommendations on a trustworthy source for this product? Any thoughts on the product itself?

Oh, by the way, I need a DVD/VCR combo because I still have videotapes (yes, THAT kind) that I watch sometimes.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

2. SlimGuySB

SlimGuySB New Member

Albums:
    I can't make a specific recommendation, but I'd suggest taking a good look at avforums.com

Spend a little time looking around, try some searches and if it doesn't turn anything up ask directly on the forums. The guys over there have never failed to provide good information when I've needed it

3. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude I'm with you but I don't think recorders for all regions are available. For players try Amazon (US) or UK. But you must get one that will play through to a US TV our format is called NTSC to get picture and sound on a standard or digital US TV set.

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

The one I recall was called Pacific and was a cheap one that would play anything. Mine is region free but its built into my TV. I have to get another TV soon though cos its analogue and everything is going digital :tongue:

Here it is:

DVD Reviewer - Hardware Reviews - Pacific DVD 1002 Mk2

They used to sell it at Asda which is now Walmart. So maybe they stock it in Walmart stores.

"The machine is set to Region 2 out of the box, however we soon had it playing the Region 1 version of “A Bug’s Life” after the first attempt to multi region the machine using the handset codes listed in our multi region section. The options available allow the user to specifically set the machine to Region 1, Region 2 or Auto/Multi Region settings, and are identical to the previous version of this unit."

Strange that you have to enter codes. Mine just plays any DVD automatically and I don't have to mess about with it.

5. SteveWood

SteveWood New Member

Thanks to all for your advice. I'll check out the forum. One thing I did pick up in researching this is that it is apparently easy, on many DVD players, to reset the region to 0 so that it can play DVDs from anywhere, although you have to hunt around on the internet to find the commands since the manufacturer and dealer will never tell you. The catch is that your TV still needs NTSC signals (if you're in NA), so you need a player with a PAL-to-NTSC converter built in. It's so annoying ... all this was done so just they could release DVDs at different times around the world and to prevent global competition in DVD prices.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can only report this:

My sister, who lives in Switzerland and travels frequently between the US, Europe and Australia, claims a local electronics shop repairman in the Jura was able to make a simple jumper adjustment in her portable DVD player to make it compatible with all DVD format zones.

If what she says is true then there's only a minor adjust needed to existing DVD players to make them universally compatible.

Draft saved Draft deleted