Allergies

Grimes

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man I have some killer allergies so far this year, anybody else in the same boat?

What do you use to offset them?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
According to my doctor this has been the worst year for allergies since he started his practice. I take Zyrtec; I also have been taking a shower the minute I come in the house if I've been out and about.

Grimes

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Eyes, Nasal, and Chest

I've been taking the store brand Clariton but it is clearly not doing the job, is Zyrtec over the counter?

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Zyrtec and Allegra are over the counter now.

I take Allegra, and it usually helps me.

I get Nasal, Ears and Chest. I did the Claritin thing, didn't work for me. I would always get one messed up ear infection in the spring, and another one in the fall. Since I've been on the Allegra, about four years now, that doesn't happen unless I don't take the meds.

It actually works quite well, with no adverse affects. There is not the dry mouth that there is with Claritin, or the floaty feeling associated with Benadryl. Plus, it's cheaper. I can get a 30 day supply for ~$20.00; Claritin is about $30

If I don't take it, I cough really badly, and my ears itch, oftentimes leading up to a very nasty, mucousy discharge. There are warnings about taking it with antacids and fruit juice, but so long as there's a two hour separation, all should be well.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a dust allergy which isn't good as I work in dusty enviornments everyday. What do I do to cure it- nothing, man the fuck up.

Grimes

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was manning up for awhile too, but if there is things to help, why not use them? Sneezing, coughing, and constantly blowing your nose are not things I consider too manly

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have a dust allergy which isn't good as I work in dusty enviornments everyday. What do I do to cure it- nothing, man the fuck up.

Well, if it interferes in you everyday life, then you have to do something about it. It's just a simple pill once a day. If you had high blood pressure, would you say "Man the fuck up," or would you find a way to deal with it as quickly and painlessly as possible?

Some people get serious allergies, sometimes related to environment, that they can't do anything about, and are debilitating enough to warrant some sort of intervention. If you're coughing, sneezing and wiping your eys/nose constantly, that's not good. Then, if you get severe ear infections, like I, and many others do, double not good. That's when you need to do something, not to "cure it" but to prevent having difficulties.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I get allergy shots and take loratidine in the morning and at night. I'm allergic to pollen/ ragweed etc, but I'm even more allergic to dust mites. Pretty much any department store with carpet makes my nose stuffy. I'm just happy I'm not allergic to animals. If your allergies are really bad I'd suggest talking to your physician.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've had severe nasal, itchy eyes, skin, and (sometimes) sinus headache allergies my whole life. Pollen, dust, and cats are my worst enemies.
I've been taking Benadryl since it was prescription (it's been OTC now for years), and it's the only thing that helps me.

Ionto

Sexy Member
Media
Yep, it's been a bad year for anyone with pollen allergies, and it seems that way on several continents.

I get pretty bad hayfever - which started this year about the end of March, so it's been with me for long enough now. I'm not good with most anti-histamines. What I do is put lots of vaseline in my nostrils (all the time) and wear wrap-around sunglasses when I'm out. The only anti-histamine I seem to tolerate is polaramine, which sends me to sleep, so I take it when I go to bed and have a decent night.

You probably just have to experiment and find what's best for you. We're all different.

D_Fizzy Cola Bottles

Experimental Member
Media
If anyone wants to try it out: Nettle is good for allergies. You can drink it in tea form or cook it. Probably not as effective as prescription drugs but if ever you're feeling somewhat itchy and congested, as opposed to majorly itchy and congested, then try Nettle as an herbal remedy.

Reviving an old thread... looking for advice please.

I recently bought an Afghan Kilim rug from a shop. It's wool, flat weave, organic vegetable dyed, looks clean, with no particular smell. But I'm having a reaction to it - itchy eyes, streaming nose, sneezing, slight wheeziness. It was pretty immediate and doesn’t seem to be getting better although I've cleaned it thoroughly. Any ideas what might be the cause? I'm thinking
  • Dust mites
  • Some insecticide (maybe to protect it)
  • Something mixed in the wool like goats hair that I'm mildly allergic to
Also, any suggestions for what to do, maybe a professional steam clean? It's outside in the car right now. I really like it so hope not to have to take it back.