Allergies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Grimes, May 30, 2011.

1. Grimes

Grimes Member

Albums:
    Man I have some killer allergies so far this year, anybody else in the same boat?

What do you use to offset them?

2. Ric1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    what are the main symptoms? eyes,nasal or everywhere?

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

According to my doctor this has been the worst year for allergies since he started his practice. I take Zyrtec; I also have been taking a shower the minute I come in the house if I've been out and about.

4. Ric1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Mizollen but it's a POM.

5. Grimes

Grimes Member

Albums:
    Eyes, Nasal, and Chest

I've been taking the store brand Clariton but it is clearly not doing the job, is Zyrtec over the counter?

6. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Zyrtec and Allegra are over the counter now.

I take Allegra, and it usually helps me.

I get Nasal, Ears and Chest. I did the Claritin thing, didn't work for me. I would always get one messed up ear infection in the spring, and another one in the fall. Since I've been on the Allegra, about four years now, that doesn't happen unless I don't take the meds.

It actually works quite well, with no adverse affects. There is not the dry mouth that there is with Claritin, or the floaty feeling associated with Benadryl. Plus, it's cheaper. I can get a 30 day supply for ~$20.00; Claritin is about $30

If I don't take it, I cough really badly, and my ears itch, oftentimes leading up to a very nasty, mucousy discharge. There are warnings about taking it with antacids and fruit juice, but so long as there's a two hour separation, all should be well.

7. Ric1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    flixonase nasal spray is good too

8. alx

alx
    Gold Member

I have a dust allergy which isn't good as I work in dusty enviornments everyday. What do I do to cure it- nothing, man the fuck up.

9. Grimes

Grimes Member

Albums:
    I was manning up for awhile too, but if there is things to help, why not use them? Sneezing, coughing, and constantly blowing your nose are not things I consider too manly

10. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Well, if it interferes in you everyday life, then you have to do something about it. It's just a simple pill once a day. If you had high blood pressure, would you say "Man the fuck up," or would you find a way to deal with it as quickly and painlessly as possible?

Some people get serious allergies, sometimes related to environment, that they can't do anything about, and are debilitating enough to warrant some sort of intervention. If you're coughing, sneezing and wiping your eys/nose constantly, that's not good. Then, if you get severe ear infections, like I, and many others do, double not good. That's when you need to do something, not to "cure it" but to prevent having difficulties.

11. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I get allergy shots and take loratidine in the morning and at night. I'm allergic to pollen/ ragweed etc, but I'm even more allergic to dust mites. Pretty much any department store with carpet makes my nose stuffy. I'm just happy I'm not allergic to animals. If your allergies are really bad I'd suggest talking to your physician.

#11 HiddenLacey, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  12. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've had severe nasal, itchy eyes, skin, and (sometimes) sinus headache allergies my whole life. Pollen, dust, and cats are my worst enemies.
    I've been taking Benadryl since it was prescription (it's been OTC now for years), and it's the only thing that helps me.

13. Ionto

Ionto New Member

Yep, it's been a bad year for anyone with pollen allergies, and it seems that way on several continents.

I get pretty bad hayfever - which started this year about the end of March, so it's been with me for long enough now. I'm not good with most anti-histamines. What I do is put lots of vaseline in my nostrils (all the time) and wear wrap-around sunglasses when I'm out. The only anti-histamine I seem to tolerate is polaramine, which sends me to sleep, so I take it when I go to bed and have a decent night.

You probably just have to experiment and find what's best for you. We're all different.

14. D_Fizzy Cola Bottles

Albums:
    If anyone wants to try it out: Nettle is good for allergies. You can drink it in tea form or cook it. Probably not as effective as prescription drugs but if ever you're feeling somewhat itchy and congested, as opposed to majorly itchy and congested, then try Nettle as an herbal remedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted