Allergy to Magnums?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by episcalo, Jul 5, 2006.

1. episcalo

episcalo Member

Albums:
    Hello guys..I've been reading the forum for a while now and need your advice on this! I'm 8.5 x 6.5 and just recently lost my virginity (better late than never!)
    I don't fit in regulars and in most large condoms, as you probably have guessed, So I tried Magnums XL. They fit well (while a little tight to my taste at the base, where I'm slightly larger)

However, about 6 hours after the intercourse, I have rashes and red patches on about the first 2 inches from the base up. It iches, there are cracks in the skin and it kinda swells....not a pretty picture, if you ask me and pretty unconfortable. It heals in a week.

My question is could it be a latex allergy? If so, why only at the base, and not on all the penis?
    Could it be the lubricant?
    Could it be the the fact that it's tigher at the base?

Just to make sure it wasnt latex, We tried with one Lifestyle Large (It was our 2nd buy of condoms...but they are too small)
    Beside the fact the intercourse wasnt enjoyable because it felt too tight. the only problems was like i had a garrot on the penis, the skin was a little red on the base but it all quickly went away, in matter of hours.

So i'm guessing that the pressure at the base + the lubricant is the cause of the problem with magnums XL.

My question is, what other condoms are available to me for my size?

thank you!

2. baseball99

baseball99 New Member

Latex allergies are common. Different condoms use different percentages of latex, some are 100%. There may also be other chemicals used during the process. Its impossible to say if it is an allergy and it can seriously range from irritation from shaved areas rubbing or something even like some stds, which can produce a rash within the 6 hours or so. Your best bet would be try the magnums again witha different lube and without lube. If the problem keeps up you should really see your doctor to 1.) rule out any stds and 2.) document a potential latex allergy

3. ceg1526

ceg1526 Member

You can try the Durex XXL; they're a bit bigger than Magnum XLs so that may take care of the comfort issue. You can also go for the Theyfit condoms - I'm going to guess g22 since we're about the same size.

Talk to your doc on the cracking; limiting sex to once a week is no fun. Is your girlfriend using a contraceptive gel? Years ago I had a bad reaction to one.

Take care

Ceg

4. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    One thing you might want to check into is possible Psoraisis. I developed that on my penis about 4 years ago. In the same spot that you are describing. It's a tad bit freaky to look at but that's if you let it go untreated. Get a prescription for elodil. That worked for me.

Cleared it up in no time.

Other things to consider, as has been posted before, is try different lube.

See if the symptoms come back after a week of no sex. If they do, then you know it's not an allergy problem.

5. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

I've had the redness and rashing from tight condoms before too. I think it was because the condom was really tight and restricting circulation but im not sure. Or maybe the prolonged period of sex I was having??

I don't think its an allergy since other condoms are latex too...unless its something in the lube but my unprofessional opinion is that the condom isn't big enough for your girth.

Try putting some lube in the condom before you have sex. Or some lube on your cock. Or lube on both ideally.

You might want to try changing condoms every once in a while too...

Good luck.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Another consideration: do you shave down there? Quite possibly your already-irritated skin is reacting to the condom lube.

But you may very well have an allergy to latex. One good way to find out is to get a pair of latex gloves (available in any pharmacy dept.) and wear one, say on your left hand, for an hour or so. If you have a similar reaction there then you'll know for sure.

At any rate you should check with your doctor. As one radio doctor says, "Don't be embarrassed to report a problem to a doctor. We see so many weird things that aren't really weird at all, but quite commonplace."

7. hungschlong

hungschlong Member

Albums:
    I had the exact same problem with the Lifestyles. So I switched to Magnum XL, all cleared up.

Could just be senstive to that specific mix of lube.

8. episcalo

episcalo Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the answers. We are now using Avantis for now..their are a complete rip off but ya know... I heard lifestyle was going to release a larger size than the "large" one...ever heard of it?

Draft saved Draft deleted