Almost 4000 dead in Myanmar Cyclone

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's nothing like nature to remind us 'who' is really in control of this planet, and how inconsequential many of our 'concerns' really are. The military government has asked for international aid, I hope it's provided unconditionally.

Yangon has said this event will not interfere with a referendum on constitutional reform as the latest step in a series of planned moves toward democracy planned for May 10th but that seems rather impractical in such circumstances.

Myanmar death toll 'nears 4,000' - CNN.com

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It certainly does put our daily problems into perspective. Al Jazeera has just reported that the death toll will be over 10,000 according to government sources.

mommyeatter

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's nothing like nature to remind us 'who' is really in control of this planet, and how inconsequential many of our 'concerns' really are. The military government has asked for international aid, I hope it's provided unconditionally.

Yangon has said this event will not interfere with a referendum on constitutional reform as the latest step in a series of planned moves toward democracy planned for May 10th but that seems rather impractical in such circumstances.

Myanmar death toll 'nears 4,000' - CNN.com
I COULD REALLY CARE LESS ABOUT THE GOVT AND WHATEVER BUT YOU HIT IT IN A CUE, GOD IS IN CONTROL OF OUR LIVES....NOT ANYTHING ELSE. ITS A TRAGEDY AND A BAD POINT IN OUR LIFES MILESTONE. PEACE BROTHER!

QuiteOne

Sexy Member
Media

You've lost me. 'Who' is in control? I don't think it proves how inconsequential our 'concerns' are, it proves how inconsequential our lives are!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...The military government has asked for international aid, I hope it's provided unconditionally...

This is nearer what I expected however ...

U.S. first lady Laura Bush, who has a long-standing interest in Myanmar, urged the government to allow the team into the country, saying she expected Washington would provide "substantial" aid if it could conduct its own assessment of the situation on the ground.

And she blasted the junta, saying the lack of warning before a deadly cyclone hit on Friday was the latest example of "the junta's failure to meet its people's basic needs."

Laura Bush criticize ruling junta »

She criticized a draft constitution the government plans to put to its people in a referendum on Saturday, saying pro-democracy activists and some ethnic groups had been excluded from the process of drafting it. She said it would be "very, very odd" if the referendum went ahead as planned this weekend after the devastating storm.

The United States has sanctions in place against Myanmar, whose government is holding Nobel Peace Prize-winning democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest. Casey said the sanctions might restrict what type of donations the United States can make, but will not prevent Washington from sending some type of assistance via the United Nations.

Relief groups scramble to aid Myanmar - CNN.com

How entirely unsurprising.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This is nearer what I expected however ...

U.S. first lady Laura Bush, who has a long-standing interest in Myanmar, urged the government to allow the team into the country, saying she expected Washington would provide "substantial" aid if it could conduct its own assessment of the situation on the ground.

And she blasted the junta, saying the lack of warning before a deadly cyclone hit on Friday was the latest example of "the junta's failure to meet its people's basic needs."

Laura Bush criticize ruling junta »

She criticized a draft constitution the government plans to put to its people in a referendum on Saturday, saying pro-democracy activists and some ethnic groups had been excluded from the process of drafting it. She said it would be "very, very odd" if the referendum went ahead as planned this weekend after the devastating storm.

The United States has sanctions in place against Myanmar, whose government is holding Nobel Peace Prize-winning democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest. Casey said the sanctions might restrict what type of donations the United States can make, but will not prevent Washington from sending some type of assistance via the United Nations.

Relief groups scramble to aid Myanmar - CNN.com

How entirely unsurprising.

What's entirely unsurprising is that once again, even in the midst of such an enormous tragedy, there will be governments and politicians posturing and scrapping over the particulars.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I have flown over the Irrawady several times. 120 Mph winds and subsequent storm surges will have completely devestated the area.

Mrs. Bush has offered a conditional $250,000. That's less than $0.001 cents per US citizen. I hope they get enough support to tell her where to stick it.

Toll, 15,000 and rising. Though these figures are just guesses.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mrs. Bush has offered a conditional $250,000. That's less than $0.001 cents per US citizen. I hope they get enough support to tell her where to stick it.
Ditto. This offer from a government who refuse to take care of their own a la Hurricane Katrina. I cannot believe she had the nerve to criticise another country knowing how poorly we take care of our own.

B_boynextdoorkpt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This is truly a tragedy beyond my comprehension, the latest news on CNN is that up to 50,000 are now dead. I feel that aid should be given, but I think that we have many people in our own country that are going without food, being financially pressured due to our bad ecnonomy that we need to be helping. I recently saw a piece on NBC Nightly news, showing a retired couple on a fixed income, that has had to move out of their apartment and live in their van, and there are days that they cannot eat, much less get their prescriptions renewed. I think we should help other countries, but my god, we have our own citizens that need help, we must do something!