Alternative Voting referendum - going a little over the top

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_crackoff, Apr 25, 2011.

1. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

It looks like the LibDems are fighting in the sewers over the AV issue.

First, they're threatening to sue over NO2AV "lies", & then...

Deputy PM Mr Clegg said PM David Cameron's opposition to AV was aligning himself to the BNP and Communist Party in "defence of the indefensible".

The Press Association: 'Bad losers' taunt as AV row grows

This is despite the fact that under AV, the majority of those elected would actually require the alternative votes of the BNP, Communists, Greens etc...

Possibly the Tories should counter with " Facist's to elect Liberals shocker!"

This referendum on abolishing the first past the system, & replacing it with one that isn't proportional to support anyway, in an attempt to deny any fringe parties from democratically getting a couple of seats, whilst at the same time, relying on those fringe voters to elect someone they don't want, is pointless & bizarre.

What a stupid referendum & voting system.

And all this from Nick Clegg, a man who probably didn't even win the support of his own party in it's own sodded up leadership election.

Meet the real leader of the Liberal Democrats - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Chris Huhne looks like a cross between Michael Foot and John Major.

Sorry that I don't have anything more constructive to say, Crackers, the whole AV thing has passed me by and I don't have a postal vote.

3. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

That's OK DW. I've been more interested in those super injunction stories anyway!

Nice to see Andrew Marr's come clean (!), I seriously wanted to out that hypocrite, but at least there's a Welsh connection yet to be revealed. Being as you can find out exactly who those guys, & girl, are anyway, it does make it seem a bit pointless, but far more fun than AV.

I could give cryptic clues - but I'd be banned.

#3 B_crackoff, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

The more difficult question seems to be, who hasn't shagged Imogen?

5. Jason

Gold Member

The AV issue seems to be a bore a minute. I haven't heard anyone who isn't a politician actually discussing it!

The worry is the possibility of a very close referendum result. We can live with or without AV as long as there is public consensus behind it. But we could well get a result comparable to the one that set up the Welsh Assembly - a low turnout, and a tiny majority one way or the other. And if this happens we would have a democratic process that people don't feel is legitimate - it could be very damaging. Imagine if we get AV on a 40% turnout by a majority of 50.01% and at the next election the result is materially changed because we have moved from first past the post to AV. Very many people would considr that the government has no legitimacy.

A good result would be a resounding no. If we are to look at reforming the voting system - and there are powerful arguments both ways - AV isn't the way to go.

The sadness is that we are not getting a referendum on the issue that people do want a vote on - and in/out EU referendum. This issue has now received one of the biggest (the biggest?) petitions and has a national newspaper (The Express) crusading on the matter, including a 24 page special a little while ago.

6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not in favour myself, as I think the current system is clearer, and doubt AV will make much of a positive difference.

Not bothered if people want to try it out for a while, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted