Altruism Amongst Animals

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

frankly, we always here about animals doing amazing things, helping people, saving people, guiding people...

dolphins protecting people from sharks, dogs getting people to safety etc...

but this is truly, truly amazing...

watch what this dog does...you will not believe it...it really is bravery, to help his friend

Hero Dog Video

2. D_Tintagel_Demondong

This video is amazing.

Altruism is sometimes mistaken for stupidity, like when a bird mistakenly raises another bird's hatchling. When I watch this video, I can't see any reason why this dog would save the other dog's life other than to protect it.

This dog is also very clever. It couldn't pull the other dog with it's mouth without hurting it, so it used it's paws. The intelligence is almost unbelievable.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

I agree completely...it seemed to understand the danger and the traffic pattern, as it trotted along the side before moving to the injured one when it saw a break in the heavier traffic, you could see the fear in its body language as it understood the magnitude of the danger as the cars were whizzing by and stopping short, even as he was pulling the other one across the lanes, you could see he was scared, but was not going to abandon his friend...this video has really left me flabberghasted, i have to say.

This dog truly understood the mortal danger of the situation, it understood his friend could not move, it understood he had to get the friend to the other side of the road, where he understood there was an element of safety...

it is truly incredible i agree...

i honestly hope these dogs are safe, and i hope if they did not have an owner and were strays, that someone adopts them...

this was an *INCREDIBLE* act of selflessness, that we usually only equate to people, but this little dog, thought only of saving his friend...

i still cannot really believe it!

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude... I'm all choked up now after seeing that!! I am a big fan of dogs even though I am allergic to them. Thank you sooooo much for giving us that link, I've never heard of it until now. That was absolutely AWESOME!!!!!

It confirms the "best friend" status of this amazing breed of creatures.

The questions that I have is: "Is this wolf behavior or domesticated dog behavior?" or "Are domesticated dogs taking on human traits?"

I guess it doesn't really matter, that dog is a hero. There are many heroic dogs

I'd like to be shown a heroic cat, bird or lizard, there are tales of horses being brave but I am not aware of other animal bravery...

Thanx Flashy! :biggrin1:

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I keep reading this thread as Autism ... :redface:

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I saw that on the news, it was a touching story. I seem to remember that there were several people who wanted to adopt the dog but did not know it's whereabouts! A friend of mine taught me years ago to stop and pull injured or dead animals off the road so that they don't continue to be struck by traffic. I've never had to test it on a busy freeway. I don't know if I could be as brave as this dog.

7. Incocknito

Gold Member

The dogs look similar are you sure they weren't related? Of course they look like strays so maybe they had been together as a pack for a long time.

I always think its sad how if a dogs owner dies that the dog (in most cases) will not move from the spot where its owner died and will stop anyone from going near it. I even remember some cases where the dog didn't move for days and starved to death.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

sadly, i have done a bit of research

Apparently, this occurred in Santiago, Chile. There are tens of thousands of strays who they simply exterminate...apparently, one organization who was supposed to be caring for the dogs simply euthanized all dogs, so they could keep the money given to care for them.

apparently, these two dogs, the hero and his friend may have been taken to that particular "shelter" after the incident.

Nobody has been able to locate them :frown1:

what a waste of decency, life, value and ironically, "humanity"

(some comments in the section below the post have references to the possible fate)

Dog Saves Other Injured Dog Lying On A Highway (VIDEO)

9. MickeyLee

Gold Member

:eek::frown1:

you shattered my cuddle bubble. :mad:

10. Flashy

Gold Member

sorry...wish it had been different...:frown1:

i hold out hope that maybe he is okay somewhere.

11. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ya i'm pretty sure my dog has autism, he's only really good at diggin holes (the dirt from which he eats) and the rest of the day he'll watch a squirrel on the cable tv wire..........

oh, this thread is about altruism?...........never mind, he's a selfish bastard too, it's all about him.

12. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are numerous stories of cats rescuing their young from burning buildings and I've heard of both cats and dogs taking in the young of other species to nurse as their own.

Most stories of animal heroism involve animals saving humans, but then only humans are likely to relate the tale. For all we know it's more common than the few instances we witness.

A few others for your reading pleasure:

Heroic horse saves woman from death by cow | Horsetalk - International equestrian news

YouTube - Dolphin saves whales in New Zealand

Friendly dolphin saves teenage boy from drowning

Dolphins save swimmers from shark

British Cat Saves Lamb from Drowning

Runner's Cat Saves Family!

BBC NEWS | England | Cambridgeshire | Rabbit saves diabetic from coma

#12 Gillette, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  13. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I'm not quite sure I get this (it's very inspirational, but... )

If Dog B is "intelligent" and "brave" and "altruistic" for hazarding the perils of a busy freeway to save Dog A... then, why is Dog A crossing the freeway in the first place? Is he unintelligent and reckless? Is he not savvy enough to "know" that 75 cars coming at him at 65 mph is an unsafe crossing venue?

Also, I've seen videos where dogs and chimps and tigers (Sigfried and Roy) suddenly turn against lifelong owners and trainers. It's probably a more common phenomenon than altruistic animals.

This vid is extremely touching. Yet no-one here is offering an animal psychology that accounts for all the numerous deviations of "altruism" - why the same dog that "helped" the injured animal on the highway, might spontaneously get into a dogfight with Dog C over territorial rights, or unexpectedly bite the hand of the altruistic guy that feeds him.

14. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Canine thrill seekers?
    Four legged equivalent of two guys out for base jumping/mountain climbing/shark diving? One of them has an "oops" and the other rescues him from the predicament requiring he put himself in even more danger than the original risk factor.

Maybe the dogs were abandoned or forgotten by their owners and were trying to get home. Animals have an excellent homing instinct but it doesn't follow road maps.

This is assuming the two dogs were acquainted prior to this event.

15. dong20

Gold Member

Nah, the injured dog simply knew where the bones were buried ... :tongue:

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Or a had a hot date with some bitch...:wink:
    With dog sex 'lock and load' takes on a whole new meaning.

17. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fucking awesome links Gillette, I checked every one out and I am in SUCH a good mood now. Those animals are AMAZING!!!! :biggrin1:

I definitely enjoyed reading about the cats, I knew that they had it in em'.

18. pym

pym New Member

19. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Cool stuff.

As a dog owner my entire adult life, I wholeheartedly agree that dogs have innate instincts that confound people on a regular basis.

Better than humans, they can sense your mood, the environment, people, attitude and danger.

They have a nurturing behavior for children and older people that far exceeds most adults.

$ 0.02

Draft saved Draft deleted