Am I destined to fail?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by LemacST, Dec 19, 2007.

1. LemacST

Gold Member

Ever since I've entered the school system, I've always been an unorganized, lazy asshole. I remember the first time I got caught slacking--I was in first grade and my teacher asked us to write some stuff in our books. It was classwork basically, writing down words or something. I would always set my tacky black and white composition book standing up on the table so the teacher couldn't see what I was writing. After maybe the 5th day doing this, the teacher stomped her way over to me and snatched my book. She found nothing but blank pages. I got bitched out.

I remember in middle school the same thing happened but to a larger scale. Instead of missing 10 dinky words, it was like 4 pages. I got chewed out like no other, the teacher, in her own words, said "You are the worst student I have ever had in my entire life. This is disgraceful, I am disgusted". She looked like she was about to cry. I felt terrible for her more than myself.

High school, new tactics, same bullshit. Almost flunked out but I managed graduating on time.

Now in college, I find myself in the same situation. I've acknowledged my problem(s) for a while, but I can't seem to fix them permanently. Some semester I've done really well, most not that great and some really bad. How the fuck can I really set myself straight? This is a life-long issue. The most depressing part is that I know that I'm a much more capable person than half of the assholes I attend college with. I just can't get organized. I can't break out of this horrible habit that will surely be the end of me if I don't do anything about it. This is the equivalent of trying to turn a morbidly obese person into a healthy, fit one. It's possible but very hard. What should I do?

2. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

if you are serious... see a counselor real soon.

3. LemacST

Gold Member

Of course I'm serious. What kind of counselor should I see?

4. freeballing

freeballing Active Member

Albums:
    Hmmmm, you seem like an intelligent dude. Don't sell yourself short. Are you truly lazy? Maybe you have A-D-D. Maybe school isn't challenging enough for you. You've already acknowledged what the symptom is. You just need to set realistic goals for yourself. There are plenty of books about organization. Entire websites dedicated to organization. I have to keep lists to get everything done. If it's not on my list, it will NEVER get done. Don't be so hard on yourself. Focus. Make a daily plan. And stick to it. Reward yourself for sticking to it. Good luck dude...

5. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

Were you ever assessed by the school? You could have ADHD. Whatever the reason, see a school counsellor and lay it all out on the line.

6. bottombuddy

bottombuddy Member

now you've recognised where your failing......the best thing would be to focus your whole future on your goals and as you slowly achieve them you will grow out of becoming and " UNORGANISED LAZY ASSHOLE" and if you think your far more capable than the students that attend college with you then its upto you to prove that to yourself rather than put yourself down as failing,etc.......if you know you can do it focus on goals and achive them one by one.

7. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think you're destined to fail. You just need to find what works for you. I don't know your exact school situation, but maybe you could take less classes per semester or balance your schedule with classes you like instead of all boring classes. Sometimes the counselors will suggest taking all the boring classes early to get them out of the way, but it may work better for you to spread them out. Also, studying with other students can help motivate you or at least get you to put the time in without getting bored.

I hope you can get it together and finish, but I understand how sometimes you don't feel like doing the work. I was similar to you. If I don't feel like doing something I'm stubborn enough not do it. I'm not good at forcing myself to do things I'm not interested in.

8. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

Usually there is a student counseling center on campuses. This could very well be a symptom of a medical problem, so seeing a physician for a physical could be of benefit. Years after I was in school, a doctor thought I had some form of problem like ADD. Of course, at the time no one could have an excuse for being less than a perfect student.:mad:

9. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I'm not sure about the councilling idea - if you hit a good one, great - but if you hit an asshole (as most of them are, IME) with preconcieved ideas and, worse still, an 'agenda' you probably won't get far. The idea of dividing the stuff you have to do into the smallest componant parts and rewarding yourself for completing each little taks works for a lot of people. The rewards have to be small too. Write an essay plan* - come and 'play' here for half an hour... that kind of thing.

* or whatever the equivalent is for whatever course you're doing.

And most of all, don't get down on yourself. Just keep trying.

Draft saved Draft deleted