Am I special or just another dumbfuck?

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I understand that my contribution to society is minimal and that in 200 years I will be entirely forgotten.

Well I think that this is your fundamental crisis, it reflects a crisis within contemporary culture about the nature of masculinity, and its place in today's world. My view is that part of being a man is to contribute to the broader well being of our families and/or communities. Yes, your contribution may currently be judged as minimal, and insignificant in the light of eternity, but is that any reason not to be inspired?

My final comments below are about how you are at a point of change in moving from a kind of late adolescent world into a new world of stepping up to become a man that will happen as you enter your 30s.

So why doesn't it stop the fantasies of brutally teaching these dumb pricks a lesson?

Well is is a good question, how can anger become a driver for change? And what kind of change is worth investing your energy in?

I treat people with respect and I hold down a steady job and bring in more money than my minimal qualifications would suggest I could.

Ok but you are also blessed with a discontent that says you can do more, you can aspire to greater things, you have the capacity to question. You have the ability to strive for more, and say "no this is not good enough, the way my life is now is not enough for me. I have the capacity and the appetite to test myself further".

Why do I have those moments of feeling like I'm the centre of attention and loving it yet a matter of days later feel like I'm a complete dick?

Because it's probably true.

Why can't I just find a happy middle ground?

I believe you will find a kind of certainty, it won't be the boring middle ground. It will be an increasingly clearer vision of how you can lead a challenging, and more fulfiiling, purposeful life. This will come as you move into your 30s. The best thing to do know is to see as much of the world as you can. Meet as many people who are leading interesting/different lives that you can take something positive from.

Will I find it with age?

Not necessarily, most people are too lazy, too selfish, and too boring. But I believe you could. Many great people come from ordinary backgrounds, the only thing that distinguishes them is that they will say "no, what exists now is not good enough, I expect more of myself, my peers, my community, and of life itself".

Is it natural that I don't feel I've acheived anything even when other people say I should be proud?

Most people are mediocre, yes there are people who believe it is their democratic right to be dull, ignorant, stupid and selfish. They are living life as an innocent bystander, rather than an active participant.

Is it bad that sometimes I look down on these people for not seeing how insignificant I really am?

Well I'd say it would perhaps be better to have compassion for them, they don't have the ability to question bland, boring and mediocre. But this is only true if you can rise above them, otherwise you will simply become one of them.

Why do I feel angry that people are so quick to congratulate me for what amounts to nothing more than big-fish-in-small-pond accomplishments?

Well it is probably a frustration within yourself that you are on the edge of stepping up into a new phase of your life but the pathway for you is not yet clear.

Do I have a superiority complex, an inferiority complex, neither or both?

You question the nature of reality. In fact both are an illusion. You have potential to be a greater person than you are. You recognise this. At your age these questions are very common. They will lead you to a very important new phase of your life.

In your late 20s all the hopes and dreams you had in your late teens are either a reality, or going to become increasingly hard to realise. In fact some doors may now be closed to you that once were open to you. This is very common in your late twenties, and I believe there is some research around on anxiety and depression issues specific to this "dilemma" at your stage of life.

Given that what you have now is some level of disappointment and frustration, the key for the next decade of you life is to find the strategies, identify your resources, build relationships with successful people who inspire you, and find the community context for you to lead a life that will bring you the fulfillment you need, knowing that you have truly lived a puposeful life. This is, so that in some way, you will be able to say yes I found a purpose for my life, in my own way I made a difference, it is a life worth living. I found a way to become more like the person I truly am.

The question is also one of faith. Research does show that depressed people are more realistic about life. Do you have the faith to hope, to be "unrealistic", to refuse to settle for the mundane? Can you find belief in yourself to take risks, and aspire to a more challenging life, that is increasingly purposeful?

For now you might be a special dumbfuck, but I think you'll be glorious.:wink:

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hi hun. We have discussed this in private before, or maybe just skirted around it, but you know that I understand what your going through. I deal with it as well. Mostly with motherhood, and my career. Some days, like you, I think of some of my childhood friends who are welfare Moms, not working, living off the system and neglecting their kids. I think "Damn, I'm so much better than that, look what I've done with my life compared to them- I work full time, pay my own way, and my child is thriving". Other days, I may compare myself to other working mothers I know who manage to juggle three kids, full time jobs, going back to school (which is my dream) and I think - "God, I'm so lazy and pathetic I could never pull that off". At any rate, I just wanted to say that I think you are awesome. I think that men like you are one in a million. I do want you to find a certain peace within yourself (as do I), but if that "happy medium" takes away your spirit and passion....I'd curse it with my dying breath. Part of what makes you so interesting and such good company is that you won't settle for being 'normal', you ask questions, you question yourself (sometimes unnecessarily, but still not a bad thing). You have received much more profound responses than anything I could ever write, so I won't attempt to give you any advice. Just know that you are not alone, that we all struggle with feelings like you've described. Here's to growing up - may we do it with grace, keep our heads up and never settle for the norm. Much love to you S, you've been a great friend to me over the months and that alone means you have lots of tolerance if nothing else - ha-ha. x

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BigPoppaFury said:
Thank you all for your replies! I have to leave for work in literally one minute so I'll just address a couple of things:

I'm happy! Please don't misunderstand this as a cry for help and don't mistake me for a depressed guy. My post is more a series of "whats this all about?" questions.

I know I'm a good guy- thanks for the compliments but it's not what I was looking for :smile: I know I'm not a dumbfuck either! The title of the post was meant to be a little humourous, I guess I fucked that one up :wink:

My final question was possibly the most important one and perhaps I should have weighted the post a little more towards it. I really do feel at times like I have superiority AND inferiority complexes running along side each other and I just wanted to see if anyone else could identify with that.

Thanks again!
Sure we all do ... that what makes us balanced and human :tounge-in-cheek:. It sounds like your in control of all those complexes and emotions that go hand in hand with them.:icon10:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BigPoppaFury said:
Will I find it with age? Do other people my age feel the same? Is it natural that I don't feel I've acheived anything even when other people say I should be proud? Is it bad that sometimes I look down on these people for not seeing how insignificant I really am? Why do I feel angry that people are so quick to congratulate me for what amounts to nothing more than big-fish-in-small-pond accomplishments?

Do I have a superiority complex, an inferiority complex, neither or both?
Yes age will help a lot. I think you are halfway between a "realistic" complex and an inferiority complex. By realistic I mean that at times your self image matches your real image. You really are articulate, interesting, competent, ... all those things that you said, and at times you see it accurately. But then at times you slip into the classic inferiority thing that many people have 100% of the time, especially if they are depressed.

I read your initial post a number of times and what struck me was in the first part when you were explaining why you thought you were a pretty good guy, the criteria you chose was exemplary and it seemed to be drawn from your own personal set of beliefs. But running through it was a subtext which seemed to contrast this set of beliefs with those of the people around you when you grew up. Its as if what you are now, is in spite of what they were then. So that subtext is pretty sarcastic as if you still want to prove to all those schlubs what a great guy you turned out to be, except they are too stupid to be using the same criteria you are. So there is no way to prove it to them. Since they don't value intelligence, humility, calmness, friendliness, etc, they are not going to get it anway.

So I think you have a really good idea of what kind of person you should be, and I think you feel you are achieving that. So when you examine the evidence through your own eyes, it looks ok.

But when you are looking at yourself through the eyes of those people, you don't measure up at all, because they don't value those things that you consider exemplary. If they value solving a problem with their fists, you must be a wimp. If they drank and had adventurous lives of petty crimes, you therefore must be a loser becaues you weren't a "player", etc.

All of what I am saying takes place quiclkly and at an emotional level, so its not as if you really are conscious of this all the time (this applies to all of us).

I think I figured out the anger thing, the rejection of compliments thing and the contribution to society thing, too.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional counselor. I just read a lot of books and tend to mouth off a lot. You can consider me full of shit if any of this doesn't ring true.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Read this and tell me how you feel afterwards....

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Marianne Williamson