am i the only one embarrassed by BET

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
(black entertainment television)

i remember back in the day bet had programs like teen summit that discussed college, career paths, std's, peer pressure, civil rights, racism, teenage pregnancy and such. they had nightly news with my weird Mrs. Reid, and intelligent, insightful programming. now it's all booty-shakin rap videos, thugs, horny brainless college students and minstrel-show level glorification of uneducated, inarticulate ghetto black people. the only time i watch bet now is sunday morning for gospel and the celebration of gospel. other than that, i officially consider BET just a darker-skinned MTV (or as i call it, EMP-TV)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(black entertainment television)

i remember back in the day bet had programs like teen summit that discussed college, career paths, std's, peer pressure, civil rights, racism, teenage pregnancy and such. they had nightly news with my weird Mrs. Reid, and intelligent, insightful programming. now it's all booty-shakin rap videos, thugs, horny brainless college students and minstrel-show level glorification of uneducated, inarticulate ghetto black people. the only time i watch bet now is sunday morning for gospel and the celebration of gospel. other than that, i officially consider BET just a darker-skinned MTV (or as i call it, EMP-TV)

No indeed because I refuse to watch it. I havent seen it in at least 12 years.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
yeah, i totally gave up on BET at least 5 years ago. it's totally deplorable. just like MTV. i swear if i see another America's Next Top Model marathon on MTV i will go mental.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
it's interesting when you think about the appeal. obviously somebody is watching the smutty programming because it stays on the air, but i wonder, does the dumbinb down of america=the duming down of tv or is it vice versa

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
when i used to watch TV i loved the stand up comedy stuff on BET. i haven't watched it in years though, but from what you're saying it sounds like it's all bling-bling hype. how sad.

it is. it sucks because they used to be SO instrumental in educational programming for black youths but now its one big smutfest, praising the same rappers it criticized not too long ago. i forgot about comicview though, i'm glad you reminded me. that show had some HILARIOUS moments:

(sung to the melody of 'the reason why i sing'
someone asked a question
why drink tanquerey
i said the answer's very simple
cuz we out of alize

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am not embarrased by BET.

However, I am disappointed that Bob Johnson felt broadcasting cooning, shucking, jiving, etc. was a positive media move and beneficial representation for the Black community. He could have accomplished so much more - but I guess rather than displaying magnanimity, cashing checks was the priority.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
it is. it sucks because they used to be SO instrumental in educational programming for black youths but now its one big smutfest, praising the same rappers it criticized not too long ago. i forgot about comicview though, i'm glad you reminded me. that show had some HILARIOUS moments:

(sung to the melody of 'the reason why i sing'
someone asked a question
why drink tanquerey
i said the answer's very simple
cuz we out of alize

comicview! that's what it was called... i couldn't remember the name. oh god, i used to laugh until i cried every time i watched it. they had some great stand up on there.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
comicview! that's what it was called... i couldn't remember the name. oh god, i used to laugh until i cried every time i watched it. they had some great stand up on there.

im so glad you reminded me of that gem. it still comes on kinda late, i may record an episode or two and see if its still got good comics

D_one and done

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i havent seen BET in years. ive had a general dislike of it for a long time as the intelligence level slowly dropped, but after they showed this:

YouTube - Read A Book

i officially hated BET. it was almost funny how they played it, as if it were a public service announcement. i understand the social commentary, but it still infuriates me that a television network seen by many as a broad brushstroke of african american culture endorsed this in any way.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i havent seen BET in years. ive had a general dislike of it for a long time as the intelligence level slowly dropped, but after they showed this:

YouTube - Read A Book

i officially hated BET. it was almost funny how they played it, as if it were a public service announcement. i understand the social commentary, but it still infuriates me that a television network seen by many as a broad brushstroke of african american culture endorsed this in any way.
Thanks for the link! I have never heard of the video or knew there was a controversy around it. I can't believe BET considered the playing of this video an opportunity to mitigate the effect on youths of a decade of videos glorifying foolishness. *Sigh*

ugh, taking this as a sign, I have too many books (7) and totally off rand journals (2) to finish reading this weekend...

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It would seem that Aaron McGruder, creator of fantastic "The Boondocks" would agree that BET isn't up to much. The link below is to a banned episode which featured Huey going on a hunger strike against BET.

Boondocks - Hunger Strike

i LOVE boondocks. their overexaggeration of stereotypes is ingenius. i loved the "praise white jesus episode"