am i the only one embarrassed by BET

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Consider yourself lucky. What if your remote broke on the Lifetime Network? :biggrin1:

that's what my mom used to punish me with. if i did something that was bad but not whoopin-worthy, she'd make me sit in her room and watch lifetime with her. wait a minute, i wonder if that's the cause of my homosexuality. brb, gotta call mama

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure if I find BET embarassing so much as loathesome. :angryfire2:

I stopped watching BET soon after they came on air, when I realized all of the music videos depicted light skinned black women as being desirable, educated, beautiful and or sophisticated. Whereas the darker skinned girls like myself were always depicted as cheap, scantily clad, jiggling ho's. :12:

It's a shame BET couldn't have taken the high road and sought to negate or destroy negative stereotypes within the black American culture. :frown1::mad:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
its by nas

originally called "coon picnic" but it was changed to "these are our heroes" to "avoid" controversy.

its on his album "street's disciple" but "illmatic" is still his and THE greatest hip hop album of all time
Illmatic was good, but that's still a bold statement.
It takes a nation of millions to hold us back is one album that I can think of off the top of my head that rivals Illmatic in greatness and overall content.

I stopped watching BET soon after they came on air, when I realized all of the music videos depicted light skinned black women as being desirable, educated, beautiful and or sophisticated. Whereas the darker skinned girls like myself were always depicted as cheap, scantily clad, jiggling ho's. :12:

It's a shame BET couldn't have taken the high road and sought to negate or destroy negative stereotypes within the black American culture. :frown1::mad:
Indeed, they did keep that whole colorstruck thing going. Although, I do love chocolate NJ - just putting that out there should you decide to reconsider your sexuality percentages. :wink:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Indeed, they did keep that whole colorstruck thing going. Although, I do love chocolate NJ - just putting that out there should you decide to reconsider your sexuality percentages. :wink:
:redface: Thanks for the compliment, but I am strictly dickly. :cool:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:redface: Thanks for the compliment, but I am strictly dickly. :cool:
I know. Just an offer to turn you out... and I can strap one on for you, too. :wink:

But seriously, I know you love dick. I'll just say you are intelligent and have a beautiful body, so I couldn't resist offering you some. :biggrin1:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Illmatic was good, but that's still a bold statement.
It takes a nation of millions to hold us back is one album that I can think of off the top of my head that rivals Illmatic in greatness and overall content.

yea i know its a bold statement but i cant get over how nas was only 19 when he made that album. and for a 19 year old to be that introspective and wise is amazing to me. especially since he didnt even graduate high school , like me (but im got my ged) and pretty much just read books and taught himself (like me). i just guess i identify with nas more

"...i switch my motto-instead of sayin fuck tomorrow
that buck that bought a bottle coulda struck the lotto"

or

"...speak wit criminal slang
begin like a violin - and end like leviathan
its deep well let me try again.."

or listen to the rest of "it aint hard to tell" and tell me if you can believe a 18-19 year old wrote that

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yea i know its a bold statement but i cant get over how nas was only 19 when he made that album. and for a 19 year old to be that introspective and wise is amazing to me. especially since he didnt even graduate high school , like me (but im got my ged) and pretty much just read books and taught himself (like me). i just guess i identify with nas more

or

or listen to the rest of "it aint hard to tell" and tell me if you can believe a 18-19 year old wrote that

the sad part is he seems to have backtracked from those days

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

or

Nas had words, no doubt. But as he mentions, it was his parents' (maybe mostly father's) influence and spending time in Africa that gave him more to draw from in his lyrics.

I can't say he was more brilliant than say, Krs One, who was also a young rapper with a deep message, its just that Nas's flow was better. Tupac was also was amazing at a very young age. But, I agree, Nas is up there with the best.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yea true. but when you make TRUE masterpiece like that as your FIRST album its a hard act to follow. i dont blame him though. i dont think anyone could match that or better if their first album was the caliber of illmatic

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

PA,

Is that so much BET as it is the individuals who happened to chose those particular women to illustrate their videos. I would say the problem runs a LOT deeper than BET. BET has never presented itself as a high road vehicle. Robert Johnson himself was about money (whatever generated it) and so it seems does Debbie Lee and Viacom now. I think unfortunately it sells. If you want to see good black television look to Howard University's station on PBS. They may have a similar PBS channel down there.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As far as I can remember it has been how you described it, although I haven't watched it that much.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as I can remember it has been how you described it, although I haven't watched it that much.

then whats the point of your comment?? bet has NOT always been the debauchery that it is now. anyone who's been watching the channel for more than a decade knows how drastically its changed

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
PA,

Is that so much BET as it is the individuals who happened to chose those particular women to illustrate their videos. I would say the problem runs a LOT deeper than BET. BET has never presented itself as a high road vehicle. Robert Johnson himself was about money (whatever generated it) and so it seems does Debbie Lee and Viacom now. I think unfortunately it sells. If you want to see good black television look to Howard University's station on PBS. They may have a similar PBS channel down there.

bet certainly did, at one point, offer quality programming that showed the diversity, versatility, and soul of black america. there used to be good programs that discussed real life issues. even the music used to be better, we had midnight love, BET jazz, etc... bet wasn't always the trash that it is now, there is a stark contrast between BET 10 years ago and bet now

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Mr. Marley,

You give hope and inspiration to the future of Black America! You want to affirm the good in Black America rather than the more derogatory aspects. Like several posters, I stopped watching BET more than 10 years ago.

I am not against a certain degree of sexuality and edginess, but it's out of balance on BET. THe focus is on the material, sexuality, and bling rather than emphasizing personal and collective responsibility.

I wonder if you (one in general) were to write a letter to Mr. Johnson - perhaps created a YouTube message - could you get enough momentum to "wrestle" some degree of positive change from BET.