Am I the only one...

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
...who has an aversion to responding to old threads? I know the topics are often good (unlike, perhaps, this one) and often I think about adding a comment, but then it happens... I look up at the date and see the original post is something like two years old (??)

And often the second or third post from the last is often just as old. What gives? How do these things resurface? Are that many people on here reading stuff that old?

I still hold the opinion (expressed here once before) that threads here should have a shelf life of x number of years (or months). If the topic is still that relevant, re-create it. (Most do that anyway). What say you?

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

zaza

Experimental Member
Media
Well I can`t be doing with going through old threads, I probably wouldn`t search either, I`d probably recreate.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, you really do feel suckered when you post a reply to one of those zombies. It'd be like the town letting a travelling carnival set up in the cemetary. Just let things R.I.P.

Now I look at the date before I even read a message.

It's become a plague here the last week or so.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In general I will not open up an old thread--something which has been dead for at least a month; but I have been known to open them up again after a few months (I believe my biggest lapse of time was 2 months).

As for them being brought back up this is a very mixed bag. There are those who blow a gasket when a subject is repeated if it is anywhere in the archives and instruct people to then use the search mechanism provided here. Then there are those who get mad if an old thread is brought back up (some are the same ones who beef if a subject is repeated)--I see the entire thing as a lose-lose situation. In the long run it's a big board with a lot of people and things are going to happen. Close a thread after a time? Why? If it is meant to close, it will, even if a person drags it back up after a few years. It ran out of steam once and it will happen again.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've put a tickler in my file to wait six months and then respond to this.

:biggrin1:

But if people didn't dig up ancient threads and respond to long-gone members, who would we mock then?

... OK, yeah, we still have plenty of candidates for mocking. Nevermind. :rolleyes: