Am i transphobic?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I'm pretty socially liberal. I support most liberal causes. But the transgender thing perplexes me.

I don't have an issue with people wanting to live their lives as whatever gender they want and I don't have an issue using whatever gender pronoun they prefer. But, I just can't say that I honestly think of them as doing anything other than playing pretend.

I don't think they should be discriminated against or forced to behave like or use the facilities of a gender they don't associate with, but I just can't make the leap of thinking of a person with a vagina as being a man. I just can't.

Am I transphobic?

Reactions: malakos

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
A lot of right-wingers really have it in for transsexuals.

Mike Huckabee wished he would have been transgendered as a teenage boy so he could have had access to the girls' locker room.

I wish peace, love and happiness to the transgendered community. I am sorry for all the hate thrown at you in this cruel and ugly world.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
A lot of right-wingers really have it in for transsexuals.

Mike Huckabee wished he would have been transgendered as a teenage boy so he could have had access to the girls' locker room.

I wish peace, love and happiness to the transgendered community. I am sorry for all the hate thrown at you in this cruel and ugly world.

I feel the same.

Huckabee's comments were ridiculous. But they come from the same place as my views, honestly. If you think transgendered people are ultimately their birth sex, then it's not too crazy to imagine that situation.

I think that's part of why I made this thread.

In my opinion you are not transphobic. You are not directing hatred at anyone or discriminating against anyone. We don't have to approve of, or understand everything other people do, and vice versa. I find it hard to understand in some ways. Surely it's more about appearance than what kind of genitals a person has? I don't like the idea that a person would drastically and irreversibly alter themselves with surgery in order to be their 'true selves'. Surely the only way to be your true self is to live with whatever you get in the lottery of life and make the best of it? Just my opinion, but maybe I'm a cunt.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Wally, I wrote a news article about a young transgendered girl and the battle of the elementary school bathroom. Basically, the local school district was having a fit over where the tyke could pee.

One comment that kept coming up as I talked with people was "genitals are that person's business and no one else's."

And it's a pretty baseline comment.
If I see a woman in the street, I'm not thinking about what's under her skirt, or under a man's belt.
It's not my business. I don't want anyone asking about my bits. Why would I concern much self with theirs?
How a person presents themselves gender wise is good enough for me.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am not Transphobic, I am a Transformer :D

470px-Optimusg1.jpg

Masterpumper

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm pretty socially liberal. I support most liberal causes. But the transgender thing perplexes me.

I don't have an issue with people wanting to live their lives as whatever gender they want and I don't have an issue using whatever gender pronoun they prefer. But, I just can't say that I honestly think of them as doing anything other than playing pretend.

I don't think they should be discriminated against or forced to behave like or use the facilities of a gender they don't associate with, but I just can't make the leap of thinking of a person with a vagina as being a man. I just can't.

Am I transphobic?[/QUOTE/]

So, if an FTM has a phalloplasty will you accept it then? That's more real to you?
Have you met a pre-op FTM in person?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
What if you lose your cock in a car accident? Guess you would want people to think of you as a woman then?

No, I'd be a eunuch.

I think your sex is a biological truth. No matter what you do, nothing can change it. If you have a dick you can have it made to resemble a vagina, but it's still a dick.

That's diferent from gender though, which I think can be changed.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Masterpumper

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I'd be a eunuch.

I think your sex is a biological truth. No matter what you do, nothing can change it. If you have a dick you can have it made to resemble a vagina, but it's still a dick.

That's diferent from gender though, which I think can be changed.

Except that now some kids are being raised gender-neutral and even on their birth certificate it says "neutral"...what are your thoughts of them?

Masterpumper

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I say that there is a difference between sex and gender.

Yes, there is a difference but you said they are pretending...now from having talked to a trans person I learnt this: not sure how they are pretending if they truly feel male inside for an FTM for example...in each and every thing in life everybody already has different perceptions so who knows what's real: maybe you were born a man but I see you as female cause you lost your cock and not an eunuch. What about babies who were born with both parts: how do you see them?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Yes, there is a difference but you said they are pretending...now from having talked to a trans person I learnt this: not sure how they are pretending if they truly feel male inside for an FTM for example...in each and every thing in life everybody already has different perceptions so who knows what's real: maybe you were born a man but I see you as female cause you lost your cock and not an eunuch. What about babies who were born with both parts: how do you see them?

The brain is a funny thing. People can believe a number of things about their body or surroundings that aren't true.

To be fair, I could see someone saying that I'm no longer man, if I lost my dick. Being a man is more of a mental and psychological thing and very heavily influenced by others perceptions. Would I be female? No. I don't have a vagina or the right chromosones for that. I would call anyone who said that an idiot. I would be male, but maybe not a man.

Anyone with both parts is intersex.

Masterpumper

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The brain is a funny thing. People can believe a number of things about their body or surroundings that aren't true.

To be fair, I could see someone saying that I'm no longer man, if I lost my dick. Being a man is more of a mental and psychological thing and very heavily influenced by others perceptions. Would I be female? No. I don't have a vagina or the right chromosones for that. I would call anyone who said that an idiot. I would be male, but maybe not a man.

Anyone with both parts is intersex.

But how do you know what you SEE is true? There have been times where the eyes sees things that aren't there...see: court case witnesses...

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't really pay much attention to most people, I'm happy to pay minor attention to the surface as a courtesy. How other people want to be seen is none of my business, whatever makes them happy ... it really doesn't bother me.

But I find narcissistic exhibitionists tiresome. And that goes for everyone, what I think of them really doesn't matter, and I don't like having to pay attention to any of it. I have more interesting things to think about.

Reactions: AlteredEgo