Am i transphobic?

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
But that's assuming that Olympian men are willing to reorganize their entire lives in order to get the advantage of competing against women. If they want to go through the necessary treatments and live as females for years and years just to cheat themselves to a piece of Olympic bronze, then I almost think they deserve it.

You don't have to reorganize their lives if they really feel that way. I'm not afraid of men pretending to be women to get a medal. That won't happen.

What I'm saying is that there are basic physical differences between transgender women and cis-gendered women that unfairly benefit transgender women.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not saying that it doesn't exist. I just don't think they're really women.
Then my answer stands as written. I have no illusions of you ever changing your opinion on this or anything else. Still you asked, I answered. I do appreciate you starting the thread, it will be interesting to see how it goes. Thanks for your reply.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You don't have to reorganize their lives if they really feel that way. I'm not afraid of men pretending to be women to get a medal. That won't happen.

What I'm saying is that there are basic physical differences between transgender women and cis-gendered women that unfairly benefit transgender women.

Ah, okay. But that difference is still there in post-op cases, no? So that's nothing new in terms of the Olympics.

Well, yeah. If you're assuming that men are willing to change their gender as a form of doping...

Have you seen the episode of South Park in which Eric Cartman pretends to be mentally handicapped in order to participate in the Paralympics? He shows up and gets his ass handed to him. My point being, of course, that it would take a whole lot more work than having a sex change for a man to show up at the Olympics and win the gold medal in the female javelin competition.
Well, not necessarily. I was a reasonably good athlete at school, but never did any training, and I could jump higher than than the female world record holder at the time.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
The brain is a funny thing. People can believe a number of things about their body or surroundings that aren't true.

To be fair, I could see someone saying that I'm no longer man, if I lost my dick. Being a man is more of a mental and psychological thing and very heavily influenced by others perceptions. Would I be female? No. I don't have a vagina or the right chromosones for that. I would call anyone who said that an idiot. I would be male, but maybe not a man.

Anyone with both parts is intersex.

I'm so enjoying this little post, Wallyj.

Our perceptions of ourselves can be polar opposites to how we are perceived by others.

What you said that I put in bold letters is what I find off-the-wall interesting.

If society was more accepting of masculine women and feminine men perhaps there would be less gender reassignment going on. I think it's a fashion trend, like large breast implants. Unfortunately, the ideal is that we've all got to be either Barbie or Ken. Maybe some people feel the need to have gender reassignment to make themselves seem more coherent and acceptable?, because I'm certain there is plenty of hatred and phobia directed at men or women who just aren't doing the same 'black or white' gender presentation as everyone else.

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media
If society was more accepting of masculine women and feminine men perhaps there would be less gender reassignment going on. I think it's a fashion trend, like large breast implants. Unfortunately, the ideal is that we've all got to be either Barbie or Ken. Maybe some people feel the need to have gender reassignment to make themselves seem more coherent and acceptable?, because I'm certain there is plenty of hatred and phobia directed at men or women who just aren't doing the same 'black or white' gender presentation as everyone else.

Think you have a bit of a point there. Don't know how much of a fashion trend it is but i agree i think it does have a little to do with appearances. Both physical and mental.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I don't see any man getting breast implants and chopping his junk to be trendy. Nah, ain't happening. I do think with more social coverage of trans issues more people are being open to the idea they may be trans, and there is now some hope for them to transition and have a shot at acceptance, but no one puts themselves through this for a trend.

Asking oneself or others questions about anything in life does not make one phobic. Having an hysterical or irrational fear based on hearsay, biased opinion and non factual information can lead to a phobia.

Gender reassignment surgery is available for free on the NHS. One of the reasons for this is that people who feel that they are in the wrong body say that they would rather commit suicide than live as a man (or woman). Surgery is permanent! How many people get a tattoo, or get married, or do something else permanent and then live to regret it? Unfortunately the suicide rate amongst post-op trans people is very high. Perhaps because they end up still not being either male or female, but something else entirely, maybe because gender dysphoria can sometimes be caused by underlying issues such as abuse. I find it extremely upsetting that so many very young people are doing this to themselves, and that some of them will regret it. I don't think everyone does it for the same straightforward reason either. Even though some rad fems are blatantly transphobic, they do have a few points that contribute to the bigger picture.

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media
Gender reassignment surgery is available for free on the NHS. One of the reasons for this is that people who feel that they are in the wrong body say that they would rather commit suicide than live as a man (or woman). Surgery is permanent! How many people get a tattoo, or get married, or do something else permanent and then live to regret it? Unfortunately the suicide rate amongst post-op trans people is very high. Perhaps because they end up still not being either male or female, but something else entirely, maybe because gender dysphoria can sometimes be caused by underlying issues such as abuse. I find it extremely upsetting that so many very young people are doing this to themselves, and that some of them will regret it. I don't think everyone does it for the same straightforward reason either. Even though some rad fems are blatantly transphobic, they do have a few points that contribute to the bigger picture.

Yeah that whole "only masculine men do this" or "only feminine women do that" is a problem. Most if not all are only labels/traits/playable roles made up by people who no longer exist. With no real barring on life as a human being now that big ass animals aren't trying to kill us regularly. I'm guessing that when a straight effeminate male or straight masculine woman comes to that question along with reactions from most people it can be confusing and maybe more than a little disheartening. And this is without even entering the possibility of those kinds of people not being straight. Yup, another small part of the larger conversation that needs to be had by us human beings.

Reactions: 950483

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is definitely cisexism present in this thread. I think people like to focus on the phobia rather than the systemic oppression because facing the oppression means admitting our social structure is broken.

For example, the assumption that people transition from male to female or female to male because they are perceived as more feminine or masculine respectively. Not only is that an oversimplification, but it also completely erases a person's experience and identity. I've been told I shouldn't transition despite the fact I want to because I appear male and masculine. Many put pressure on trans people to not be trans, even if they are not transphobic. I think that's part of what cisexism is.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The amount of effort that is often put into finding the "unfair advantage" transgender people have, or finding the "unfair advantage" that people of color have, or finding the "unfair advantage" that homosexuals have is just absurd. What's next, a big sign saying "MINORITIES NOT ALLOWED"? Good grief! Why don't we all just admit who's really playing pretend right now...

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I say that there is a difference between sex and gender.
Exactly. Sex is the category assigned a birth based on genitals.
Gender is how the brain and body systems interpret the world, including the body itself.

So since I am AFAB (assigned female at birth) and my brain's experience is more female than male, I'm female.
My child, on the other hand, is AMAB but her brain's experience is more female than male.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
There is definitely cisexism present in this thread. I think people like to focus on the phobia rather than the systemic oppression because facing the oppression means admitting our social structure is broken.

For example, the assumption that people transition from male to female or female to male because they are perceived as more feminine or masculine respectively. Not only is that an oversimplification, but it also completely erases a person's experience and identity. I've been told I shouldn't transition despite the fact I want to because I appear male and masculine. Many put pressure on trans people to not be trans, even if they are not transphobic. I think that's part of what cisexism is.

Wally was asking if he was transphobic. That is what is being answered.