Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't see how clothes are related, at all. If someone is showing a lot of skin, then the occasional look is expected, but rape is another matter entirely. Whether you are wearing an old shirt and jeans or nothing at all - it's not an invitation to rape. There is something wrong with people who rape, not the people who are raped.

B_hunghealinglover

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

"the officer explained that “you’re exactly the kind of girl this guy is targeting.”

"[the police are] pointing out that as part of a pattern involving one or men that the assailant(s) have targeted women wearing skirts.”

If the rapist is targetting attractively addressed women, then the police's advice is sensible.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the rapist is targeting women. should they stop being female?

making the 'type' he is targeting public knowledge is one thing. stopping women in the street to tell them off for wearing the wrong clothes is quite another.

do cops stop random porsche drivers to point out that car thieves might be tempted, so please go home and buy a skoda?

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I can see the point of the police in one way. In the mind of a rapist, a woman showing some skin is 'asking for it'. It's wrong, of course. Not only is it silly to expect people to dress in a certain way, it doesn't make sense because even a rapist has a 'type'. While one rapist may be turned-off by certain clothing, another may be turned-on by it. If I were in the shoes of the police, I think I'd adopt a more logical approach. Apart from searching for the criminals, I would condemn rape publicly and ask that women 'be safe'. In other words, avoid dark streets and walking home alone (common-sense stuff) until the criminal(s) is brought to justice. To some, it must look like they are saying, "Well, rape is expected - dress like this or it's your fault." They should be saying (and hopefully mean to say), "There is a serial rapist with a thing for legs, cover them up when you can, please be careful - we'll get him soon." If the police are actually trying to place responsibility with the victim, then something is badly wrong.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I can see the point of the police in one way. In the mind of a rapist, a woman showing some skin is 'asking for it'. It's wrong, of course.

The woman stopped on the street by a young officer tells the reporter:

“He pointed at my outfit and said, ‘Don’t you think your shorts are a little short?’” she recalled. “He pointed at their dresses and said they were showing a lot of skin.”

If the NYPD are trying to be helpful then they need to work a lot harder on how they tell the officer on the street to phrase the advice.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If the police are actually trying to place responsibility with the victim, then something is badly wrong.
people who are burgled, mugged, beated up are rarely assumed to be at fault unless proven otherwise. as some of the signs in the pictures stated, men and children get raped and they don't have cleavage on show.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The woman stopped on the street by a young officer tells the reporter:

If the NYPD are trying to be helpful then they need to work a lot harder on how they tell the officer on the street to phrase the advice.
I completely agree with you there. It's obvious that there are problems with communication, both within the police and with the public. That's actually something of a world-wide problem with the police.

people who are burgled, mugged, beated up are rarely assumed to be at fault unless proven otherwise. as some of the signs in the pictures stated, men and children get raped and they don't have cleavage on show.
In terms of appearance, I think there is more than clothing involved. As you say, it's not just women who are raped. As I said before, even a rapist has a 'type'. Male, female, short, tall, fat, thin, blonde or brunette - it doesn't matter. Everyone is at risk to some degree. Perhaps they are just discriminating against women, but I don't know.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
he may as well have said, ''don't you think you're asking for it?''

if a rapist is targeting women in short skirts then we, as a society, need to educate young guys to understand that a woman showing skin is not asking for it.
stopping women to tell them off for their outfits is just reinforcing that belief.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
he may as well have said, ''don't you think you're asking for it?''

if a rapist is targeting women in short skirts then we, as a society, need to educate young guys to understand that a woman showing skin is not asking for it.
stopping women to tell them off for their outfits is just reinforcing that belief.
I agree again. Education is the key.

B_hunghealinglover

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
do cops stop random porsche drivers to point out that car thieves might be tempted, so please go home and buy a skoda?

Porsche drivers pay higher insurance to cover the risk. This is because there is awareness that posessions that might be at risk need to be protected.

When there is a higher risk, people need to be made aware and take appropriate measures protect themselves. This is very common practice.

http://tinyurl.com/6yxs3ej

If the rapist is targetting women wearing a particular form of attire, and the police know this, then they need to warn people of the risk. It would be irresponsible of them to do otherwise.

Perhaps they need to work on their communication skills though, and the manner in which they do this. If their tone implies there is a judgement involved, and that they are looking down on the women for what they are wearing, then that is inappropriate.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

So if you: go on 'vacation' and leave all the doors and windows to your house wide open, or if you go waving your money around, or if you walk around being aggressive/intimidating towards people...is it really "not your fault" if you get burgled, mugged or "beated up"?

No one really (probably) deserves to be burgled, mugged or beated up, or even raped. But certain people increase the probability of themselves being burgled, mugged, beated up or raped.

Also I do not understand the OP. Have all those women been raped? I was expecting to see pictures of a single woman, but it seems unlikely to me that all those women protesting were raped.

At least then we might be able to see what the average rape victim wears. But this was not "amazing" at all.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the rapist is targeting women. should they stop being female?

making the 'type' he is targeting public knowledge is one thing. stopping women in the street to tell them off for wearing the wrong clothes is quite another.

Which is worse - having your car stolen or being raped? I think the police have the right priorities. Also you are failing to process the point with your feeble female brain.

The point is about the specific modus operandi of the criminal. If someone is targeting women in skirts then the skirt is the important fact. He is not targeting women at random so it makes no sense to "ban being a woman".

For example, if a rapist has a fetish for 5" heels then you wouldn't tell women to stop wearing shoes. You would say try to avoid wearing 5" heels.

A comparable situation for cars would be someone going around stealing Ford Focuses. You wouldn't tell people to stop driving cars, you would just say be more careful if you have a Ford Focus. It is a little bit unrealistic to ask people to change cars. But it is feasible to ask a woman to change an item of clothing, if it saves her from getting raped.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Stealing sex from someone is not the same as stealing possessions. You can be careless with your possessions but you have the right not to expect that someone will steal sex from you whatever you may wish to attire yourself with.

Some of you guys seem to think that rape is in the natural order of things. It pains me to the core but maybe all men are rapists after all.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stealing sex from someone is not the same as stealing possessions. You can be careless with your possessions but you have the right not to expect that someone will steal sex from you whatever you may wish to attire yourself with.

Some of you guys seem to think that rape is in the natural order of things. It pains me to the core but maybe all men are rapists after all.
Don't lose faith, Mr Drifterwood. We're not all rapists. I agree with you, for what it's worth - you should be able to live without fear of being raped. Unfortunately, there are a few who do believe in the 'natural order' theory.