Amazon.com

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

fearghus8: I'd think twice before ordering anything from Amazon.com. About a week ago I ordered something from this website and the day after I placed it my account just disapeered... I've even received an e-mail with the an order nr and it seems not to exist anymore.
    I've tried to get in touch with the company but they just seem not to read any e-mails.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN BUYING FROM THIS SITE!

2. Imported

Gold Member

Thumper_10x7_CA: Have you tried calling Customer Support on a phone? They do still use phones you know. Just have your order # and credit card handy. The order confirmation they e-mailed you when you purchased the items will have all that information.
    I've used Amazon.com for many different types of purchases from clothing to books to electronics to childrens toys and I've never had anything less then the utmost in service and speed.

3. Imported

Gold Member

altoclef1979: I have recently had problems with amazon.com. After purchasing from a third party "marketplace seller", I was charged but never received the textbook I ordered. With his email response being completely unprofessional and pointless (almost like a form mailer), I am going to have to enact the amazon AtoZ guarantee. Until 30 days has passed though, I'm out the 60 bucks. :'(

I have never had problems in the past when ordering through amazon, but this situation does make me think about the validity of their third party connections.

4. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: My only experience ordering from amazon.com ended badly -- they had a promotion offering free shipping if the order was over $40. The book I wanted was under $40, so I ordered a second book to take advantage of the promotion.

They charged my credit card for the full amount of the order, but then sent me an e-mail a few days later that let me know the first book (the one I initially wanted) was no longer available and they've refunded my credit card -- but in doing so, they charged me shipping on the second book since the order was under $40 now.

I wrote back to complain that it hardly seemed fair to deny me the promotional offer because they were unable to deliver one of the products I ordered, and I got back a form letter that was completely unrelated to my complaint.

This was years ago. Since then, amazon.com has adopted a consumer-hostile privacy policy that has a number of state attorneys general investigating them. I wouldn't recommend ordering from them.

Although their selection and their interface are more limited, www.campusi.com has a written policy of not sharing your personal information with third parties. I'd recommend checking them out if you order books online.

5. jonb

Gold Member

Well, mindseye, that's why it's called AMAZON.com They screw you and then leave you.

Draft saved Draft deleted