AMERICA THE FREE!! (except for you homos)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Jon Stewart's interview with Bill Bennett-

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

funny how the latest "no no" is yesterday's fight for equal rights. Listen carefully how Stewart makes it so obvious to a befuddled Bennett:

The Daily Show Interview

2. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Jon Stewart is a genius because he simply extends Bennett's arguments to their logical conclusion and watches as the conservative goes wild renouncing the implications of his own position. Bennett argues that America is great because of its freedoms, and then spends all of his time revealing his actual contempt for that concept.

Thanks, Stronzo, for keeping this clip alive. It is priceless.

3. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Very welcome.

Stewart has a genius for levelling things generally. I love his manner.

4. Caliman

Caliman Member

So smooth. All that clown got done was to lick JS's butt.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I think I want to marry Jon Stewart...

And Bill Bennett is no less a moronic jerk now than he was 20 years ago.

6. kank84

kank84 Member

Albums:
    I only discovered Jon Stewart after someone got me his book for my birthday, but after watching the daily show pretty much every day since then I think I love him. My favourite part of that interview is when the Bennet bloke (is he well known in the US, or just another conservative?) says that race is not an acceptable method for ruling on marriage, but gender is; but he gives no reason for this. It's just the case. I like the way that Stewart can reduce his oppositions argument to the absurd just by pointing out how illogical it is.

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

Stronzo, the most potent thing Jon said was near the beginning- they WILL fail, they always do. This sucks so incredibly much for the gay people right now who have to endure being the group that fights off this idiocy, but take heart in the fact that EVERY time in this country that there has been a civil rights issue, freedom HAS always won, and I have to believe it will here too.

Remember that Lincoln only had about a third support of the common man when the issue of slavery was being discussed- most people are just self-serving bloodsucking assholes, and that fact never changes. What always happens is the the issue finally gets enough attention from the media sources of the times that the people who CAN string thoughts together get heard, and repeated and repeated enough that even the very dense can understand. The average person has to be moved to a place where he believes it's okay to change his mind- as in "socially acceptable". Most people are very dependant on the opinions of others.

The "group think" going on right now under our current administration is very dangerous on so many levels because it is fostering the most negative and narrow views that are natural in man anyway. Xenophobia is "natural", but not a very good fucking idea for the survival of a species. The thing is, the race of Man seems to want to survive, so I believe we will overcome our baser natures in increments, as any species does. While this is painful for the ones who must endure the traumatic parts, I take comfort that what we are fighting now serves a purpose for the ones who will come after.

8. davidjh7

Gold Member

Ultimately, I think you are right, MmZ---even as negative a view of humanity as I have..:smile: Everything cycles in its time---I just think that in this issue, so deeply rooted in traditions, in long held religious and social predudice, and frankly, ignorance, is going to be around a long, long time. I beleive that eventually this country will have gay marriage. I suspect it will come first as relenquishing to a cival contract, that will last for awhile, thenbe challeneged under the same tenent as when the supreme court struck down the "sperate but equal "clause, since it is shown that seperate is never equal. I can hold out a fantasy of believeing I will see this in my lifetime, but I cynically, perhaps, feel in my heart I will long be rotting in the grave (or ash, or stuck out in the trash in a lorge hefty bad :tongue:) when this happens. My one hope I have found, is that every generation, socially, seems to be slightly less fucked up than the last, at least in acknowledging that people really aren;t all that different from each other. Maybe in 10 years, 100 years, 1000 years, or after a new better species evolves after a nice extinction level event wipes out this arrogant race, there will be a better level of true equality on this planet. Cheers!

9. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Send little Billy Bennett over my way Once I get through with him he'll appreciate the freedoms entitled to homosexuals a lot more.

10. davidjh7

Gold Member

Why do I picture a scene from X-men, where the senetor who is so blatantly mutant-phobic is turned into an X-man himself, to teach a lesson? :biggrin1:

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the clip...:smile:

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Thanks. I thought that too the moment it left Jon's lips. They will fail. 'They always do'.

I guess personally (since I'm bound to personalize the thing) I feel most sorrowful that I will not be here to see it. I take cold comfort in thinking of myself as having endured it for "the cause" I'll add. We've thought often of relocating to a predominantly gay place somewhere in this world but I'm somehow caught in limbo between seeing my world as mainstream and not wanting to immerse myself in gay culture to such a degree that I'm blinded to the way of things in the "real world" (whatever that truly means).

For me (after an initial euphoric stage) I suspect it would be too simplistic since I like to scrap too much.

But between the changes that I'm now witnessing and the rather new controversial video Hater by "Everclear" it would appear the tides of change are coming albeit incrementially. It seems that those who think with logic and decency rather than ancient rhetoric are coming rather tellingly to the fore lately.

It does provide some good comfort.

Thanks MZ for the thoughtful response.

R.

13. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
    Excellent post!
    Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day and society sometimes takes decades to adapt. It's frustrating at best, but there's hope. Today's youth are growing up in a more "tolerant" society than their parents or grandparents, so there is progress, albeit painstakingly slow.
    Be patient!!:tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted