America WILL Fall

Media
I'd like to agree with you, but the EU is becoming increasingly politically important on the world stage - and its trade regulations increasingly look set to become the benchmark the world is pressured into adhering to. :redface:

I think many in the US underestimate the EU (and the damage it could potentially do?) because they don't yet see what's happening behind the scenes. China is very powerful now...but I guess we'll see.

It's not really a matter of how advanced the inner EU is compared to china right now; it's just a matter of simple population. The EU has 8-9% of the world population while china has 20% and has been moving in th right direction for the last 30 years. It's really only a matter of time, and not in a bad way (I mean what kind of person laments 20% of the world having better lives when all it means is more expensive shirts and toothbrushes for us?)

D

deleted15807

I disagree. While the US will not be the only super power in the future, it won't be because the US has declined. It will be because other countries/blocs have risen.

The real question is are there enough resources on the planet to support all the superpowers and wannabe's? Not likely.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Not likely. EU no. China yes.

Our overconsumption and debt levels are the reason for China's rise. We buy more than we can afford and they loan us money to buy more from them. We are spending and borrowing our way into disaster. And I don't mean government spending and borrowing -- I mean consumer borrowing. But that isn't as popular to criticize as government actions.

Media

The real question is are there enough resources on the planet to support all the superpowers and wannabe's? Not likely.

There won't be if we stick to oil as a fuel source. Remember when prices skyrocketed a few years ago and how they still remain about as high? That was when china started competing with us for oil field contracts and they'll only need more energy sources as more of them urbanize.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
*gasp* the sick and poor will get treatment in America now! The end is nigh!!

wait, that sounds backwards doesn't it?

A woman at work was going on about how she didn't want to pay for someone else's health care. I pointed out that I am single and have no children and yet I pay taxes that go to the schoold district. Here in Dallas the taxes for the school district are higher than the taxes for the city. In fact I think if you total the city, county, hospital district, and community college district and add them together I don't pay as much to all of them combined as I do to the school district to educate other people's children. Her husband is a teacher and she is a former teacher. She was pretty much left speechless by the analogy of me paying taxes for someone else's kids, taxes which go into her pocket, yet she doesn't want to pay anything for anyone else's health care.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

The only thing that rescued us from snowballing commodity shortages was the Great Recession. Cement and steel prices spiked due to Chinese construction. At some point we will pull out of this recession and metal prices and other commodities will go up again. Sustainability has to be a prime consideration going forward.

Media
Our overconsumption and debt levels are the reason for China's rise. We buy more than we can afford and they loan us money to buy more from them. We are spending and borrowing our way into disaster. And I don't mean government spending and borrowing -- I mean consumer borrowing. But that isn't as popular to criticize as government actions.

Their loans to us are reasons for the good position their government is in for spending on public services like schooling, roads, and their upcoming high-speed rail network (which is REALLY gonna get things going).

And private consumers aren't really borrowing anything from China; buying, yeah, but it's not like Americans are going to china and borrowing from their banks (which would probably be nice; 98% of chinese banking transactions are public with low interest rates). Of course by keeping their currency value low China's taking a little TOO much advantage at the expense of its lower class.

Media
A woman at work was going on about how she didn't want to pay for someone else's health care. I pointed out that I am single and have no children and yet I pay taxes that go to the schoold district. Here in Dallas the taxes for the school district are higher than the taxes for the city. In fact I think if you total the city, county, hospital district, and community college district and add them together I don't pay as much to all of them combined as I do to the school district to educate other people's children. Her husband is a teacher and she is a former teacher. She was pretty much left speechless by the analogy of me paying taxes for someone else's kids, taxes which go into her pocket, yet she doesn't want to pay anything for anyone else's health care.

if she has insurance, she's ALREADYpaying for someone else's health care. Now she doesn't need to worry about bring royally chested out of money that she undoubtedly deserves more than any insurance company. Jeez people are stupid.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Its true. Typically the US is perceived as being especially vulnerable to oil price shock because it refuses to put up fuel taxes. You may not like them, but it gets people used to high costs and they are better able to cope when real price rises happen. Tax policies can help the economy if you raise the money you need in the right way.

I don't believe the US will fall in any way which really affects US citizens at home. The US homeland is pretty safe and self sufficient. Whether it loses its world influence is quite another matter. I think it will. I am skeptical it can continue its current vast expenditure on arms, and even if it can there are going to me more large armies out there staring back.

The third leg may be banks. Financial services of all sorts have got away with murder in recent years and I don't see this continuing. Nothing has changed yet, but its one of situations where the charges have gone off but nothing yet has collapsed and people are still rushing round inspecting.

Last edited:
D

deleted136887

burn.
The American century is past.
You gave us hope, courage, and the CIA.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I save approx 10% of my income, and my total credit card debt is less than $500. :smile:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There won't be if we stick to oil as a fuel source. Remember when prices skyrocketed a few years ago and how they still remain about as high? That was when china started competing with us for oil field contracts and they'll only need more energy sources as more of them urbanize.

Which is why we must aggressively move toward energy independence by exploiting wind, solar, nuclear, etc.

millionman

Legendary Member
Media
Our debt load is too high, and we pass another trillion dollar entitlement? This model is not sustainable and most likely we will end up with lower defense spending to cover the HUGE increase in spending for this new program. When we spend less on defense not only will we become more vulnerable so will the whole of Europe and our allies. Don't believe me? Just look at Europe, specifically Britain and France, and tell me that their military structures are capable of erecting a large enough force to actually fight a significant war with ANYONE. The idea of socialized medicine is a disaster, and in this country is a move away from sound principle and freedoms. This program is going to be too expensive, but most importantly this was a signal to the people of this country that what the MAJORITY want does not matter and the New Class is going to dictate to us from now on. We will not fall, if the people who are suddenly active, are determined and focused on putting people into office who will shrink the size and scope of government and LEAD us in a better more prosperous direction.

millionman

Legendary Member
Media
Tomcat, Solar is useful, but nuclear is the KEY to our energy future. The libs have fought against any new nuclear facilities since the early 1970s. Most importantly we have the oil reserves, and natural gas reserves, to help meet the needs we have NOW but the current administration along with the EPA will not allow this to happen. Russia is now drilling off the coast of Cuba and finding huge oil reserves, which we could use to solve our energy problems just as easily. Also, wind farms are a joke. T. Boone Pickens invested billions and has decided that he will just take the loss as it will not produce enough energy to be a sufficient supply for anyone. It is too costly to erect the farms, and it is very difficult to deliver the power supply to surrounding areas. Wind is a HUGE waste of time and effort when compared to the viable methods we already have. In the mean time solutions can be found but the short term needs must be met, which means an adjustment in policy in a way that actually makes sense. Considering that this administration is proving to be even less adept than the previous, which I thought to be impossible, I do not see this happening.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
America is NOT falling, it's RISING like a Phoenix from 8 years of the DEBACLE known as Bush.

Amen Brother.

These fucktards are blind to ultimate corruption because they get a piece of the pie.

Others are just plain igornant and stupid that they go along, because they have no courage or strength to make a cut of their own opinion.

I'm laughing at the greedy repubs right now.
Laughing because theyre LOOSING what they stole from so many.

Little by little, chunk by chunk their corrupt little worlds are crumbling around them, and it's so funny.

I especially liked the tactics they showed last night wanting to know members votes.
What would they do with them? Harrassment, scare tactics, and who knows what else.
Mabee even murder. Hell they got away with 9/11, why not try it again.

It showed alot last night how fucking corrupt they are, and how angry they get when a penny is taken out of their pocket.

For the rest of the Decent Republican and Democratic Folks - We're laughing in the faces of these greedy bastards.

Last edited:

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think there should be an amendment to the US Constitution banning any and all forms of progressive tax rates at the federal, state and local level. All taxes should use a flat rate. For those that dont understand that - If one guy that earns $500K/year has to pay $200K to the government, the a guy that earns $50K/year should have to pay $20K. That would put a quick end to all this stupid entitlements crap. Every pay their FAIR share.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Our debt load is too high, and we pass another trillion dollar entitlement? This model is not sustainable and most likely we will end up with lower defense spending to cover the HUGE increase in spending for this new program. When we spend less on defense not only will we become more vulnerable so will the whole of Europe and our allies. Don't believe me? Just look at Europe, specifically Britain and France, and tell me that their military structures are capable of erecting a large enough force to actually fight a significant war with ANYONE. The idea of socialized medicine is a disaster, and in this country is a move away from sound principle and freedoms. This program is going to be too expensive, but most importantly this was a signal to the people of this country that what the MAJORITY want does not matter and the New Class is going to dictate to us from now on. We will not fall, if the people who are suddenly active, are determined and focused on putting people into office who will shrink the size and scope of government and LEAD us in a better more prosperous direction.

This.

You nailed it. Great post.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there should be an amendment to the US Constitution banning any and all forms of progressive tax rates at the federal, state and local level. All taxes should use a flat rate. For those that dont understand that - If one guy that earns $500K/year has to pay $200K to the government, the a guy that earns $50K/year should have to pay $20K. That would put a quick end to all this stupid entitlements crap. Every pay their FAIR share.

and right now, the guy making $50K is only paying $2,000 in taxes. You literally need to find 100 people making $50k to get the tax revenue of one single guy making $500k.

It is just ridiculous.

And all have access to the exact same services.