American/British stereotypes

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_dumbcow, Feb 15, 2008.

1. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    What is the American general view on Britain?
    And the British view on America?

I have noticed certain stereotypes around and was wondering what they are and if they are true.
    I know that the British see America as an area based around patriotism - what do other LSPG members think of the other side as?

2. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    We Brits all have bad teeth, talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, live in castles and ride to work in armour on a horse.

We drink tea by the gallons, hate the french, moan about the rain but hate the sun and will never let the Germans forget 1966.

We have invented nearly every sport on the planet, owned nearly very country on the planet and are the ancestry for many people on the planet.

The north hates the south for being posh, the south hates the north for being common and we all hate the Scotts and the bloddy Welsh.

We have the ability to que in out blood, have invented more than you will ever agree with and will oppose anything Brussels thinks is right for us right up until we accept it as common place.

We are over 2000 years old our own acenstry is made from nearly every culture that we in turn have not made, yet we are English and hate anything forign.

We all wear a top or bowler hats, play cricket, have cucumber sandwiches for afternoon tea, carry a walking stick that secretly a sword and love London for the 'pea' soupers.

We are the last of an old and now forgotten dispossed island people as free as cows in a field we don't own and we all... love... pup. X

3. dong20

Gold Member

Americans used to be us, now we're steadily becoming them. Ironic really.:tongue::biggrin1:

As for stereotypes, no shortage of those. But that's all they are, stereotypes.

4. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Aren't stereotypes people who answer threads while listening to CDs??

Yah, I know, that was bad. So shoot me!

5. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    Well, Rugbypup, you pretty much summed up the British!
    bowler hats and pea soup - cucumber sandwiches?!?

I always found it interesting how many Americans think that they speak American, not English.

6. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    agreed. nobody can find the perfect stereotype, they are made up of people and traditionnes which stand out, but arnet necessarily reflective of the country

Very funny, Not_Punny
    *bang*

7. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Reminds of me people who say that people from Mexico speak Mexican, not Spanish. Mexican and American are both dialects, not languages.

I don't necessarily have any preconceived notions of what a Brit is or should be. I just think they have damn fine accents.

8. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bless, we invented 90% of the technology Americans think is theirs too, lol.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I think that idea is more common outside the U.S.
    For example, some French books will speak of a text traduit de l'americain, rather than de l'anglais.
    I personally have never heard an American say, "I speak American."

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dear God, I hope not! I was rather hoping that you all talked like Terry-Thomas (if anyone under the age of 40 even knows who that is).

11. bimmli

bimmli Member

What happened in 1966. I'm somewhat of a history buff so unless my brain is numb today I don't have a clue?

12. MH07

MH07 Member

Albums:
    That's kind of like all of we Texans riding horses (when we're not driving our Mercedes), living on ranches, and throwing barbeques all the time.

Rugby, don't forget, you Brits also invented the phrase, "Mind the Gap"!

(I love England. There will always be an England. If I had the wherewithal, I'd move to London today.)

13. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
  14. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    We won the world cup in football (soccer) and we have never shut up about it!

15. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:

Along with, Tally Hoe and Cor Blimey Govnor, to name a few.

Dont move to London, be kind to yourself, if the counrty had a rectum, it would be Jolly Old London town.

16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've seen "aus dem Amerikanischen übersetzt" on the title page of a book translated into German. It irritated the hell out of me. The fact that the author was Canadian crowned the absurdity. If one is going to call the variety of English spoken in the US "American," then to be consistent one would have to say that Canadians speak Canadian, Australians Australian, New Zealanders New Zealandish (?), South Africans South African, and so on. I don't doubt that there are Americans who claim to speak "American," but I am pretty sure that they are a small minority. I once heard my father speak of something being said a certain way "in American," but I am pretty sure that he was joking. I don't think that I have ever heard any of my countrymen say anything else about "speaking American."

At one time, such phrasing may have been more common: witness H. L. Mencken's book The American Language (1919). At that time, there was a struggle between those who held that the standards of correct usage and pronunciation in the English language must be those of England, and those like Mencken who held that the verbal usages of England have no more rightful influence over the speech and writing of Americans than the English crown has over the American people. I think that as the struggle gradually went in favor of the second group, fewer people felt the need to speak of the so-called "American language."

17. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I just broke up with an English girl of 3 years. Shed definitely have a field day with this thread. Lol, I think she loves to point out the culture clash, if you will, between the English and the Americans.

Some stereotypes that I've heard over the years:

- Americans are fat and unhealthy.
    - Americans are elitist bastards.
    - The English have sex like they have tea... politely.
    - The English all have terrible teeth.
    - Americans women are all sluts.
    - American men are all pigs.
    - English men are all very timid, whereas American men are quite confident.
    - A list of stereotypically English cuisine:
    • Spotted Dick
    • Bangers and Mash
    • Black Pudding
    • Bubble and Squeak
    • Cauliflower Cheese
    • Cornish Pasty
    • Cottage Pie
    • Cumberland Sausage
    • Dumplings
    • Faggots
    • Fish and Chips
    • Full English Breakfast
    Yeah... I've probably tried to dispel almost all of these stereotypes while dating her... all of the English are just... too hard headed. LOL, another stereotype for you right there. But I'm just joking...

18. Principessa

Gold Member

I'm always a bit surprised when I meet English people who have never been on a proper fox hunt. :tongue: All of England attends Ascot and the women all wear big funny hats.

Nope, didn't even recognize the picture and I am just over 40. :redface: I always thought all English men sounded like David Niven or Peter O'Toole. :biggrin1:

Do you need a re-bound girl to help mend your broken heart? :flirt: :kiss:

19. No_Strings

Gold Member

There is no 'British' stereotype, sorry chaps.

20. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Are you the one to oblige me? :wink: I'm just waiting for this throbbing pain to go away.... :tongue: I hear you can help.

Draft saved Draft deleted