Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In England, the restaurants serve spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, and spam. Unless, of course, "Baked beans are off!" Then you ask for spam instead of the baked means and have spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam.

yurkon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I like the gun comment, that everyone has one. Kinda true. As of 2007 there are more guns than citizens. I suppose the military could take some time off and we'd be fine. It would be interesting if someone invaded us. Where's my AK?

yurkon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
wait a second drifterwood, if it's Brittany history or some other pop dope icon, the average american is all over it. Just do ask who is vice president or when slavery ended, women's right to vote or even when the internet became popular. clueless. Life altering inventions etc.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have to admit that I do satisfy the Brit stereotypes for my US friends and they tease me for it. But then I equally raise my eyebrows when they are making that awful nasal noise that passes for language and mix coke with whisky.

Whisky and coke? Jesus, you need to find some new American friends. :tongue:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
wait a second drifterwood, if it's Brittany history or some other pop dope icon, the average american is all over it. Just do ask who is vice president or when slavery ended, women's right to vote or even when the internet became popular. clueless. Life altering inventions etc.

Brittany is a region in North West France :wink:

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
Re: We are over 2000 years old our own acenstry is made from nearly every culture that we in turn have not made, yet we are English and hate anything forign.

I had lots of experience with the English....attitudes about their value on the globe, contributions in the history of man, conquering, exploitation, etc.

I've had good English pals over the years and relate very well to them as individuals. Yet , there is a "group mentality" that seems to surface in pubs and parties that I really tend to hate.

when I travel abroad, I oftentimes don't tell people that I'm from the U.S. I once heard an English guy say, while drinking beer and speaking of Washington, D.C : "I've always wanted to go to the colonies." The group of English men who listened all nodded in agreement. I found them smug and closed minded as a group of supposedly educated men with claims on the history of the globe.

Accents: They are not all pretty. They are class based and some simply used words incorrectly. Not at all what I expected, based on Stereotypes.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
In England, the restaurants serve spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam, and spam. Unless, of course, "Baked beans are off!" Then you ask for spam instead of the baked means and have spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam.

I don't know one Brit who likes spam. The stuff is sick

(another thing - sick in America means 'cool' whereas in England it means discusting)

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
do you have a favorite?
I'm not a drinker of the stuff and what do you think of makers

I'm a single malt kinda girl. I can toss back Makers Mark but i'd rather have Macallan 18 year on any given day.

Isnt Jack Daniels Whiskey rather than whisky. The difference is whiskey is made by paddys and whisky is Scotch (I think)

The spelling is different depending on where you live. Both refer to any alcohol made from grain. Jack Daniels is a blended whiskey that, like most American whiskeys, are produced like bourbons. Single malt production is something else altogether.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
(another thing - sick in America means 'cool' whereas in England it means discusting)

it also means disgusting in the USA. using the word to mean "cool" is a more recent trend, but both uses are still prevalent. The latter use will probably trickle over eventually.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I think spam is nasty as well, but my father loves the stuff. I don't get it. And like NIC said, "sick" still means gross or disgusting.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You probably only eat in cow restaurants. Standards may be higher there.

The American slang use of the word "sick" to which you refer is, I believe, a pretty recent development, and not widespread: at least, I heard it for the first time only about two years ago, and I was completely baffled by it.

The English have ways with the word "sick" that are equally baffling to Americans. Not only do they use "to be sick" to mean "to throw up" ("Get me something to be sick into!" — Alec in the movie of A Clockwork Orange), but they say things like "I woke up covered with sick" (i.e., covered with vomit).

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Hawaiians Love Spam.

I tried it after watching a special on it and hated it.

It is too salty and reminds me of meat byproducts such as pig noses and the meat scraped from their hoof knuckles.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally Posted by dong20
There was a band, Streetband (featuring Paul Young) who made a song called Toast.

Actually, that was the Q-tips, but don't worry, I won't show you up in front of the others :cool:

Actually, dong20 was right. Toast was a UK top 20 hit for Streetband in 1978. Paul Young left them to join Q-Tips but they never had any hit singles and he eventually went solo in 1983.