American Eagle now selling briefs, what will this do to fashion trends.

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by matt121matt121, Mar 8, 2009.

1. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just noticed on www.ae.com that american eagle is now selling briefs, will this lead briefs back to increased popularity.

It looks like they are offering them in many colors and patterns, and are more similar to more exclusive brands like 2 xist ck etc.

I looked on other brands and old navy and gap sell briefs but there briefs seem to be very similar to traditional briefs that could have lead to their unpopularity in the first place since guys don't want to be associated with there fathers wearing briefs that look like plain tighty whities from basic brands such as hanes and fruit of the loom.

will this lead other brands to start offering briefs for men? I know I would like it if brands such as Hollister and Abercrombie would offer briefs, other brands to keep an eye on would be Aeropostle and Express.

Anyone have any stats on how these are selling?

Now we just have to get a main retailer to start offering speedo style swimwear, now thats the type of fashion change I really want, for the speedo to become more popular with the guys who are fit enough to pull it off.

2. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Briefs really came back into favour here in the UK about 3-5 years ago and they are now sold as widely as boxers / boxer-briefs. Stores like H&M sell a really excellent collection!

Glad to see that A&E are catching on with the trend.

3. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ya sorry matt but briefs have been big here (cali) for at least 3-5 yrs too, i could be wrong but i think H&M kinda started the revival. at the time i just figured it was because briefs have always been popular in the UK. they aren't ur dad's briefs either, much updated.

if ur in miami i'm suprised ur just now seeing the brief trend, maybe u should check out more progressive retailers, A&E has always seemed pretty old school like JCrew to me. and cos. like aussiebum & 2xist have been around for forever with cool briefs.

PS: there's not a thing wrong with a plain pair of basic tighty whities stretched over a hot package either......

#3 thadjock, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know briefs are big among the gay community, and the more metro guys, and guys in their 20's and above, but they had lost favor among the younger boxer generation.

I know h&m has been selling briefs for a long time, that are in many colors and styles, and i've got many pairs of briefs in brands like 2xist and ck,

I just hadn't ever seen briefs at american eagle before, as they mainly talor to the like 14-21 age group, ie the boxer kids, and was just commenting that the trend is changing in this age group, and that fashion briefs are a way to do this, since I know that eventhough I own some hanes tighty whities, i would never be caught dead wearing them to the gym or out on a date or anywhere anyone could see them.

I just recently moved here to south florida, so haven't discovered the so called more progressive retailers, as back in indiana where i moved from i had to buy my 2xists and ck etc briefs online,

5. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    dude! most of the fun of buying underwear is cruising the other guys who are doing the same thing at the store. or asking the sales guy if he's tried a certain brand/style and how do they feel......ur not in kansas anymore, LIVE IT UP!! :biggrin1:

RE: tighty whities.
    you must have really had a psycho-trauma event involving white briefs but i'm not qualified to unpack that for you. call love line. :eek: a nice clean smooth snug pair of white CK regular briefs are hot as hell on a hot guy.

6. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    No tramatic event involving briefs, i use to wear hanes tighty whites all the time, and then transitioned to boxer briefs and then to boxers in hs, and then in college went to a mix of all 3.

use to love seeing one of the guys in my aquatics class in college who ALWAYS wore hanes tighty whities, and they looked really good,

and then there was another guy who would always wear either them under his blue swim trunks with the waistband clearly showing, though i never could figure out why, as I wouldn't have thought that trying to swim laps or anything with cotton briefs on would be fun at all.

there just not my choice for a date

7. ah20rocket

ah20rocket New Member

Albums:
    its about dang time, and they look very sharp too !

8. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like Thadjock said, briefs on the West Coast have been popular for a while.

Actually, I think that American Apparel is really the brand who brought briefs back to the forefront because they started selling the vintage multi-colored versions about four or five years ago and they caused a humongeous stink. Especially amongst the scene/hipster sect.

It won't really do anything to fashion trends because the slim "fitted and fashionable" style has been in play for a while and while alot of young guys are coming late to the party, it's been the major trend since around 2006.

9. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    American Eagle was my first notification of places selling fashion briefs, as where I was living in Indiana there were NO American Apparel stores, though I have seen several here in South Florida.

10. Yinyang

Yinyang New Member

I've been buying briefs from American Eagle for a couple of years now.

11. hardon89

hardon89 New Member

Albums:
    american eagle has been selling breifs for awhile now........... must be selling great cause everytime i go in the best ones are gone...

12. zawfi

zawfi New Member

(a) how do their boxers fit? I always hate trying a new brand.
    (b) how do their briefs fit? same as standard hanes tighty whities?

13. brbd45

brbd45 Member

There boxers and briefs fit very well. They both hold up very well and the briefs fit a little tighter than the standerd hanes tighty whities. I have wore american eagle brand underwear for about a year and a half. There great.

14. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I've seen Speedo swimsuits at Macy's, Bloomingdales, and Lord&Taylor in New York. I think that Speedo swimwear is already 'popular with the guys who are fit enough to pull it off.' But if you look around America, those guys are few and far between. The daily gym attendees are not representative of the 300 million people out there in America. You don't want to see most of those people in a Speedo, I assure you.

15. B_am12388

B_am12388 New Member

I have like a 238013820132138019 pairs of briefs from American Eagle. They cute. :)

16. tingting

tingting Member

Albums:
    Im wearing a pair of ae trunks right now and i have to say they are my favorite pair of underwear. They really show my bulge and are comfortable!

17. D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan

D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan Account Disabled

AE underwear are nothing special, IMO. The patterns are funky and cool, but, otherwise, the fit/support does NOTHING for me.

Briefs have definitely been making a comeback. Tres sexy. :biggrin1:

18. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE NOW DISCONTINUED...UNFORTUNATELY!!!!

Unfortunately it looks like the standard basic briefs must not have gone over as well as expected..which is sad to see...

I just looked on their website and now it looks as though they only have trunk briefs, boxer briefs, and boxers, and no longer have the real briefs...

What I don't understand is why would they shrink their line of mens underwear as they continue to expand their line of womens undergarments...Don't they think guy's want choices to...

From an Article found here: Men's Underwear - the premier underwear blog on the web It looks like the briefs have been out for less than a year...

Do you guys have any thoughts as to why they didn't sell? Or anything that could have been done, or could be done to show American Eagle that guys do want a wide selection of underwear options...

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

#18 matt121matt121, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  19. sixbysix

sixbysix New Member

I have a couple pairs of them. I like the cut and the fit. Nice wide waistband too.

20. darkbond007

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I got three pairs a couple months back. They fit nicely and the waistband is pretty nice too.

Draft saved Draft deleted