American Foreign Policy

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The anti-americanism thread rumbles on.

But I am interested to know where you draw the line for your country's foreign policy in being a means to an end for the perceived self interest of the US.

I get the feeling that a lot of your citizens are ignorant of the realities of American activities, financial, political and military in order to secure American interests.

Do you really benefit from them?

Would you vote for a government that would raise your taxes to make your economy less of a threat to the rest of the world or reduce your requirement for the world's natural resources?

I am not so sure.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We have enough problems with domestic affairs.

Why should our Congress waste time and money to investigate steroids in Baseball. It's just a game. Actually both baseball and Congress are a game.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is no other place in the world that I would rather live than in the United States.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

But I am interested to know where you draw the line for your country's foreign policy in being a means to an end for the perceived self interest of the US.

I get the feeling that a lot of your citizens are ignorant of the realities of American activities, financial, political and military in order to secure American interests.

Would you vote for a government that would raise your taxes to make your economy less of a threat to the rest of the world or reduce your requirement for the world's natural resources?

I am not so sure.

alot are ignorant yea but most humans are ignorant in general lol.......not all are in the dark tho......for the most part (if you keep up on daily events) any major actions that are taken to ensure our national safety or actions taken to boost our economy or help our deficit is well broad casted. But information is so washed up and edited and filtered that alot of people are oblivious to things. But that isnt out fault. (obivously the governments) I think we benefit from policies to a certain degree. Obviously, we're still around and running (running badly, but still running) as a country. But id say most of it is just a perception or an illusion. or jus plain bullshit....the best interest for any country should be the residents, the people that are in it. we are over in iraq fighting to protect us over here (so we are told) sounds good.....I guess

the possibility of dramatically reducing our requirements for fossils here in the us in the near future is pretty much the funniest thing I will hear all day. No way...saying taxes should be raised is wayyyyy to broad of a statement. cuz all you would be doing is getting more money from the poor. thats it....I would vote for the government that sees the people here that live with nothing but advantages and riches and are barely ever taxed and stick it to them.....hard....lol

B_625girth

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
raising our taxes isn't going to make our economy any less of a threat to the rest of the world. and I am a little tired of other countries blaming the USA for the worlds troubles. Oh, I know we contribute a lot of strife, our consumption of oil, we meddle in other countries politics, Bhutto was back in Pakistan at the USA urging. But we also try to help 3rd world countries, and help with disaster situations. How many foreign countries aided in Hurricane Katrina? I'm pretty defensive about the good old USA, and without us you motherfuckers would be speaking German. I'm not a Bush supporter, voted against him twice, can't stand the sight of the man, or the sound of his voice, but when terrorists blow up women & children, then we will hunt you down and kill you.

And you are right, many Americans are oblivious. as long as their little world is the same every morning when they get up, that's all they care about. some of the 20-30 year olds don't have a fucking clue what is going on or what life is about. somebody has always handed them everything they got. notice I said "some" not "all".

I would love it if we got away from oil or found a huge source in the USA. let the arabs eat and pound sand. and if the USA found an alternative energy source and reduced our oil consumption way down, and retreated our politics to within our own shores. would the rest of the world be happy??? no.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I am not so sure.

Our biggest problem is that we have ignored what history tried to teach us.

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

I am not so sure.
America doesnt have a foreign policy any more its a total mess.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and without us you motherfuckers would be speaking German.

I'm not anti-American but I get sick of Americans taking the credit for winning WWII - that was a war that was initiated by Britain and France, Russia lost more men in it than any other country. Maybe if we hadn't taken the initiative you'd all be speaking German now?

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
the foreign policy is entirely based on 9/11. it was a catastrophic day for the world, but george bush saw an opportunity - change laws, introduce new taxes and invade countries on the basis that "they are terrorists". we still don't know why iraq was ever invaded. no weapons of mass destruction were ever found - why is nobody talking about this anymore? the chief weapons inspector found nothing at all and, shortly afterwards, 'comitted suicide'. in any case, the invasions went ahead, little britain following the usa in as usual (we don't want to miss out on the action and profits of war do we?) money money money, that's what it all comes down to.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I never voted for Bush. I never re-elected him. I also have just as much difficulty with Brits who assume Spain is their back yard where they can drink too much, blow chunks, and have sex with inanimate objects as I do with my fellow 'Mericuhns who treat México the same way.

You bet. Raise my taxes and fix domoestic issues, including the implementation of national health coverage. Don't raise my taxes just to protect the Brahmin cooperate class and their stanglehold on the world's natural resources. Repair the physcial infrastructure of the cities and transportation. And make it legal to shoot assholes running rampant on public lands on their ATV's tearing up ecosystems that take thousands of years to recover.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Let's leave aside the role of the US in WWII in Europe; it can be argued that the Russians actually defeated Hitler. That point is moot.

In WWII and its aftermath, the USA was both courageous and generous. Having lived in both Germany and Japan, I know for a fact that citizens of both natons were astonished at how magnanimous Americans were in victory.

That's where it stops, unfortunately. Since then, the USA has served its own interests in foreign policy. And often, arguably, misjudged those interests.

What changed?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
It says alot about State education and freedom of thought.

20,000,000 Russians died defeating Hitler and defending their Country. They got to Berlin first and liberated Eastern Europe, which became known as the Eastern Block. This in part lead to the Cold War, which you did win. So far.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Headbang8, are you talking about Hitler's disastrous invasion of Russia--in winter? (Ha. Hitler invading Russia in winter is like the USA invading Iraq in forest camouflage.)

(Or like being a tornado chaser in the Midwest. Why chase them? They'll come right to you!)

NCbear (who thinks certain things are just common sense:smile:)