American Idol / Paula she can't seem to talk well

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by alex8.5, Feb 29, 2008.

1. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've watched two weeks in a row. I swear Paula Abdul can't seem to put two words together. I hate watching it because of her... Does anyone else see this?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Yes. She seems drugged.

3. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I often think I could probably benefit from whatever it is she's on. Must be nice to be "happy and carefree" all the time. :biggrin1:

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

This is not the first season that she is incoherent. I don't watch the show anyway. I did watch a few of the first shows where they show the goofy singers, but that gets old after a while too.

5. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    You just noticed this over the past two weeks alex? :rolleyes::biggrin1:

I don't know what she's on, but she's on something and has been for a long time. I know she's got a bad back, and based on my admittedly non-clinical experience her behavior mirrors someone who's a heavy user of prescription pain killers. She had an on-camera freak out about a year ago after a particularly disastrous satellite media tour and she was openly accused of being on drugs. I thought her vehement (yet carefully worded) denial was telling: "I have never used recreational drugs!" Operative word there, I think, was 'recreational.' Many people who grow addicted to prescription meds don't think of themselves as "drug users" in the classic sense.

I've worked with her a few times and it's amazing to watch her process information whenever someone speaks to her. It's like her brain is still running on a 14.4 baud modem while everybody else has gone broadband.

6. JustAsking

Gold Member

Paula's struggle with chronic pain over the last 25 years has been heroic. Here is an article on her problems and her recent surgery.

I think people have forgotten how influential Paula Abdul was on the music industry in the 80s. If you watch her videos from there, you can see how she influenced Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and even later, Britney Spears.

For a while she was doing choreography for everyone.

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I didn't know Michael Jackson liked to lip-sync :wink:.

8. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I didn't know Michael Jackson had lips...

9. Flashy

Gold Member

she wasn't influential at all in the music industry...she was influential in dance choreography for music videos, which is a facet of promotion of the music industry...which is not really the same thing as being genuinely "influential" in music/music industry. :smile: (IMO)

10. Flashy

Gold Member

he had them...but he felt they were unnecessary so he removed them. :tongue:

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

One must give Lady Abdul the street cred she deserves. The Laker Girls have never been as good as when she whipped them wimmin into shape back in the day. And I don't even like basketball.

As for dancers in general, they pretty much burn out their joints by age 35. Modern, ballet, or lap -- it's work and takes its toll on the body.

12. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I ... hate ... it ... when ... paula ... talks ... like ... this.

:confused: for an old guy you sure know your newglish vernacular.

13. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    what the hell was with that video of her and Randy. He was only holding a bass in a song that had nothing but a freaking drum and background vocals. And the song was something about dance and Paula stood there like her legs were asleep. Randy referred to it as his album, I'd like to know what that means too.

14. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

It's pretty well documented by this point, that she is not drugged, but exhausted. She works and works and works and never sleeps.

So, she looks like a drug addict but is really just sleep deprived.

Same effect though.

15. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

1. she's an idiot

2. she's usually drunk during the show

16. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

She looks like 80 miles of bad road.

17. MichiganRico

Gold Member

God, I wish people would just give this Paula Abdul thing a rest. Okay, she's not a wordsmith. That honor goes to Randy Jackson with comments like: "I'm just not feeling it, dawg." and "It was really pitchy." As as for Simon, he actually can put together two words: "It sucked."

Paula likes to give constructive criticism along with a pat on the back. She shows a lot of compassion for contestants, some of whom are very young for the business. That is a far more intricate verbal process than simply saying, "That was a absolutely horrible performance." Okay, she stumbles on her words, but most of us (with the notable exception of Simon) understand the point she's trying to make. Her approach to judging contestants should be lauded, unless we're as mean-spirited as her Brit sidekick. (And yes, I agree that Simon is right much of the time, but I simply wish he could be a little bit less bitchy.)

18. camper joe

Gold Member

Poor Paula needs help, of what type is what I'm unsure of.

19. transformer_99

Gold Member

I haven't watched that since the first season relatively consistently each week ? I know it's still on, what season # are they on now ?

20. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    After reading a bunch of these responses I want to apologize for my initial flip answer on the thread.

I don't know if Paula has a problem with pain killers, I just posited that as the most likely culprit based on my interaction with her and watching the show. That's why I included that my diagnosis was non-clinical. I've had friends who have developed drug addictions to pain killers (I was well on my way to one myself) and found a lot of similarities between her behavior and theirs. A LOT of similarities.

That said, I appreciate NJ & JustAsking pointing out exactly how fucked up she is from damage to her body. I knew that, but discounted it, and I feel like a bit of a schmuck because I sustained a back injury in the past few years that left me FUCKED UP, and mine wasn't even CLOSE to being as severe as hers. I'm also an insomniac and I wouldn't wish that hell upon anyone.

I still don't rule out that she's got pain-killer issues... but I also wouldn't blame her.

As to Paula's contribution to Idol... look, the show wouldn't work without her, or someone just like her. Simon is the judge that offers the cold hard truth of the music industry. I very rarely find Simon's comments - good or bad - to be off base, and I have a lot of experience in this arena. What Paula offers is an equally important role as cheerleader, because we all have bad days, and if all we got afterward was Simon's perspective we'd likely be crushed. Paula reminds the talented folks that they're there for a reason. And for the untalented, she opens up her feedback by telling them how good they look. The fact is the people on that stage, regardless of what experience they have in the music industry, are incredibly unprepared. Paula serves a valuable purpose to them, and by extension to the people who watch the show.

Randy is the most useless of the bunch because he's the moderate between two extremes. But also, by nature an essential part of the mix, because in the event of Simon/Paula split, whichever side he agrees with is usually right.

Anyway... just wanted to offer a more reasoned response.

Draft saved Draft deleted