American Idol

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Overall I think this group is better than any I've seen recently, I'm not quite sure what a lot of you are complaining about (unless you need charisma or personality to enjoy one's artistic talents...) In terms of quality of voice and tone, this group is far beyond what we've seen in previous seasons. Legitimate recordable vocal talents, that's not really shit you can work on. They may be more raw and unpolished, but the skills that you are born with are there for many of them. May not be hitting the notes they should be, but they seem more real to me, which makes this year much more interesting to me. Not to mention, we got people ripping it up on guitar, finally someone had the balls to bring some real fucking guitar playing to American Idol. Props to that. There are a legitimate 5 or 6 girls who have true great tone in their voices, and about 4 or 5 guys...and they fucking play guitar too, I don't care about it only being a "vocal competition"...

Media
Overall I think this group is better than any I've seen recently, I'm not quite sure what a lot of you are complaining about (unless you need charisma or personality to enjoy one's artistic talents...) In terms of quality of voice and tone, this group is far beyond what we've seen in previous seasons. Legitimate recordable vocal talents, that's not really shit you can work on. They may be more raw and unpolished, but the skills that you are born with are there for many of them. May not be hitting the notes they should be, but they seem more real to me, which makes this year much more interesting to me. Not to mention, we got people ripping it up on guitar, finally someone had the balls to bring some real fucking guitar playing to American Idol. Props to that. There are a legitimate 5 or 6 girls who have true great tone in their voices, and about 4 or 5 guys...and they fucking play guitar too, I don't care about it only being a "vocal competition"...

When this entire group sings together, they sound great as well.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You can debate the AI issue all you want, but bottom line this season, "THERE IS NOT A STAR IN THE BUNCH".....

I mostly agree. In the past, I either watched it or recorded it for later view so as not to miss a minute of the show.

Last night I did neither. I might tonight - I guess it's still "boys night out?"

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol you guys must be US weekly reading TMZ watching people. Who cares about finding the next "star"? Do you guys fawn and drool over stars? Show me someone who can sing, play the guitar, and be who they are...rather than some cookie cutter mold of a "pop star"...

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
lol you guys must be US weekly reading TMZ watching people. Who cares about finding the next "star"? Do you guys fawn and drool over stars? Show me someone who can sing, play the guitar, and be who they are...rather than some cookie cutter mold of a "pop star"...

But thats the PREMISE of the show Skull, so get with the program and let them TRY to find us a pop star.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
While some of you may like Ellen on the panel, for the most part i think she is useless.

She comes prepared with a handful of repetitive comments which are more about style than substance, and about her "personally" liking them, but her comments are becoming predictable (as they like to say on Idol), and last nite particularly was ridiculous and confusing since they always "instruct" the contestants to be "original" and make the songs their own, but for the ones that did that, they were extremely harsh and critical, calling them indulgent and over the top. Make up your minds judges.....

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Exactly, the judges are confused and don't know how to handle it because now they have some people who are original and talented, rather than just a karaoke high school pop star wannabe. The show may have set out 9 seasons ago looking for a "pop star", but that doesn't mean that the contestants can change the show. That pop shit has been getting tired anyway.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Compared to the crap that came out of Paula Abdul's pie whole Ellen sounds like a genius. The only thing I'm confused about is why Kara and Simon are so cuddly, Ryan said Kara was up against Simon but she was sitting in front of her mic Simon was not so I'd have to say Simon was up against Kara. Does anyone else find him creepy.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
"Yo, dog...allright...so here's the thing, right? The judging is just pitchy, man. It's all over the place...up it's down, "be original", "too indulgent", "you're too young" ["duh- didn't you frekin' KNOW that when you picked me??"], "you're not young enough"..."

"It's like, duuuude, we judges can't make up our fuckin minds WHAT we like. Or maybe we already have so we'll just "DOG" the ones we don't until the viewers vote 'em out..."

"But YO, do your thing and be you."

Last edited:

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"yo, dog...allright...so here's the thing, right? The judging is just pitchy, man. It's all over the place...up it's down, "be original", "too indulgent", "you're too young" ["duh- didn't you frekin' know that when you picked me??"], "you're not young enough"..."

"it's like, duuuude, we judges can't make up our fuckin minds what we like. Or maybe we already have so we'll just "dog" the ones we don't until the viewers vote 'em out..."

"but yo, do your thing and be you."

exactly

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Compared to the crap that came out of Paula Abdul's pie whole Ellen sounds like a genius. The only thing I'm confused about is why Kara and Simon are so cuddly, Ryan said Kara was up against Simon but she was sitting in front of her mic Simon was not so I'd have to say Simon was up against Kara. Does anyone else find him creepy.

With all due repsect Deno, that is exactly what alot of us watched AI for, loopy, incoherent Paula, doing her best "touch downs".

Ellen, not so much of a draw, and unless she gets a few new comments in her repetoire, they might as well have a cardboard cutout with a recording in place of her and save the huge salary.....

Those Kara/Simon moments are scripted for gossip, and i know YOU know that Deno. They have to do something to spice up this lackluster season.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Compared to the crap that came out of Paula Abdul's pie whole Ellen sounds like a genius. Simon was up against Kara. Does anyone else find him creepy.

Ellen was brought in for her comedy I assume. But the judges only get a few lines so not much chance for her to do her comedy schtick.

Simon always leans over to the judge next to him. He does it on Xfactor and BGT. He did it with Paula. Its just a physical habit I think. He's not being creepy!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
there is definitely more talent on this season than any 2 seasons combined, what are you guys looking at? I think the judges are on crack though they seem to be critiquing just to "critique" and are running circles around themselves. By the way kirkwood, did you listen to what kara said last night about the show changing because there are now artists as opposed to "pop stars" this season?

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
there is definitely more talent on this season than any 2 seasons combined, what are you guys looking at? I think the judges are on crack though they seem to be critiquing just to "critique" and are running circles around themselves. By the way kirkwood, did you listen to what kara said last night about the show changing because there are now artists as opposed to "pop stars" this season?

But AI has a pop audience. They are ultimately the ones who will make or break your career.

Fans looking for credibility look elsewhere. AI is not the centre of the music world. Its just another TV talent show. Its become increasingly irrelevant to the music charts.

Personally I don't wanna see them strumming guitars either. Theyre not great musicians just coz they can strum a guitar and sing at the same time! Session musicians can provide the music, thanks.

But I agree the judges are contradicting themselves. I think it just depends on if the re-working of a song actually sounds good or not. If not, they get scolded for changing the melody. If it does work they get praised to high heaven. It's a gamble.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of course it's a gamble.
But is it a contradiction?
I don't get it, X.

Well the judges seem to be telling them to take risks one minute then scolding them for straying too far off the karaoke path the next. You can see on their faces how confused the contestants are a lot of the time!

Im confused by what the judges want. Truth is, they don't know what they want until they see it. It's that, ahem, X-factor.