American Idol

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

so this thing has been going on for what 6 years?

I have tried to watch to see what all the fuss is about in the past...and i watched an episode or two last year...and tried the one last week, but found myself flipping away repeatedly and then abandoning it altogether.

i just don't get it.

:confused:

It is a bit stupid...anyone else with me on this?

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

No.

3. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is stupid, and you're allowed to think it is, turn off the TV and get involved with a CD, a person, a book, and you can skip all the small minded retarded gossip the fills the newspapers and the celberty spot light shows and be a better person for it.

Having a minority opinion is a worthwhile cause. Don't flow with mindless sheep driven TV programing.

Most of the people on the show have gotten no where, two three years later. It's a big washout for many. It made William Hung a celeberty.

Recently I watched the flick of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. A good way to spend two hours. Rent it and tell me what you think.

4. nay-nay

nay-nay New Member

i watched the first episode of season 1, and then i watched a couple episodes this season. i like watching the auditions. :biggrin1:

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I agree. I have tried to watch it, but early on it's just to painful to see all these sad, pathetic, and often ugly people try to sing. Especially when they show their back stories of poverty and despair and play it up like this is their shot at a decent life. Then <WHAM> they open their mouth to sing and they sound like a tone deaf bullfrog. :confused:

Later in the contest it's just a popularity contest as proven by the odious Sanjaya last year.

IMHO, most reality shows are crap. :cool:

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll go one further... it is fucking retarded and shouldn't be the most popular program in this country, it makes me want to fucking VOMIT!!!!!

7. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I can't believe people feel so strongly about people who get on TV and sing... jesus fuck.

8. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I could care less about the people who get on TV and sing. It is the fact that America watches that show like zombies and eschew other educational and thought provoking programming. I use television to broaden my mind, not to sedate myself.

I understand some people have interesting lives and need an escape, but watching a live karaoke show is no escape... it's just another cage.

That is not to say that I have never watched it because Kelly Clarkson is INCREDIBLE and has turned out to be quite the star.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I rather enjoy American Idol after the auditioning is done.

I like the idea that there is the unidentified talent that (sometimes) gets discovered.

My Daughtry album is STILL in heavy rotation.

10. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Personally, I find it boring and most of the singing unimaginative. But that's me. Clearly it's a huge hit and still a huge hit.

11. viking1

Gold Member

Yes, I agree. I also agree that MOST television is at least a bit stupid.
    I rather watch something educational, or at least realistic...

12. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

im a musician, i have tons of musician friends...we sit and rehearse in basements, we play gigs in tiny dark smoke-filled dives, we lug our own equipment, we make little to no money.

and im not asking for pity...my point is just that if we do make it big, we earned it...we worked our way up from playing backyard shows to playing in bars to playing clubs to doing smalls tours to being an opening act to getting signed to playing the big time.

the american idol whores go up and basically enter a glorified karaoke contest...they sing other peoples songs, songs that are already certified hits...hell, i went to a karaoke bar last nite and nailed "Jump Around" by House of Pain, but no one threw a record contract at me.

ive never watched an episode, but i see enough of the "highlights" on the internet or from friends...the audition shows have deteriorated into people that clearly are just there for the chance to be insulted by the judges, or just to make a fool of themselves on national television...i actually have friends that have auditioned legitimately and were told "listen, you guys are good, but for ratings purposes we're gonna put the loser on tv, so thanx for coming out, good luck next time, bye".

beyond that, you dont even need to win the show to get a record deal...it seems like more often the runner-ups get a bigger deal than the winner...so whats the point of having a competition if you win regardless?

and the coup de grace...the thing that absolutely destroyed me...made me curse the gods, question why i even bother living anymore...William fucking Hung. now, i dont the guy personally, so i cant say i really hate him...but fuck it, i really hate him...for those that dont know, he was this asian kid from southern cali who went on & did "she bangs" by ricky martin...clearly tone-deaf, no sense of rhythm, dressed like his mom still chooses his clothes...simon tore into him, but his comeback was "well, i tried my best and that means im a winner"...and suddenly he became a sensation...i wouldnt really have had much of a problem if he had his 15 seconds on TV then disappeared...but the motherfucker put out a record...it was an awful album of him doing cover versions of various songs...interspersed with "inspirational sayings" about not giving up, and following your dreams, and how even if you're a talentless waste of carbon maybe one day you can make a million dollars in the record industry.

ahem, sorry...i sorta spun out there. im done, thanx.

13. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Being a musician I enjoy anytime I get the chance to see someone perform on TV, its better than some pundit rambling on about how democrats and black people don't matter. It is better than some pointless show like prison break that has continued on for seasons (how many times can you break out of prison on a show? Once you break out, the show should be over!). Although I must admit I have never seen an episode of it and heard its good, but whatever.

The people who suck on Idol get old, I could care less for them. But I do enjoy seeing someone get up there and kill it. A real pretty girl, or maybe someone unsuspecting who can PIPE. And Simon is fun to watch, because he is ENTIRELY ON POINT with all his praise and criticisms, it is impressive to watch.

14. Flashy

Gold Member

i agree that it is nice when you see someone with a good voice, but they are still just performing someone else's stuff.

i think part of what is so upsetting is that we live in an era of synthetic music, and there don't seem to be talented musicians making it anymore so much as hip hop crap and talentless pop music.

At least these folks need to be able to sing, which i respect, but the show itself just seems stupid (mind you the stupid is generally paula abdul and that guy Randy and that idiotic Bryan Seacrest)

the Simon fellow appears to at least be honest if obnoxious

15. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    The thing about American Idol is that it's sister shows (Pop Idol, X-factor and the oldest show Eurovision) hold alot more weight in the music industry of Europe than in the United States.

Most of the X-factor winners are now platinum selling artists, whereas you can count the records sold by the AI artists on two hands.

It's a dream sold with so much contingency and red tape that the real results are far less amazing than they should be.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

i have never even heard of those other shows or the winners. :confused:

i remember "Eres Tu" won the Eurovision thing something like 30 years ago, and that is about all i know.

17. Novaboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I refuse to watch during these early stages but do enjoy the show once they get to the real competition phase. I usually tape it and can then fast forward through the commercials.

18. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Eh... who are you to say that someone watching a "live karaoke show" isn't an escape for them? Different things help people escape in different ways. And I know many people who are fully capable of watching American Idol and other things as well to broaden their mind.

19. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I think highly intelligent people like yourself are the MINORITY of American Idol fans. I think that the people that you know that watch the show that are capable of watching other things to broaden their mind are the exception to the rule of normal "Idol" watchers.

I wasn't talking about you or your friends Meg, you should know that the anti-American Idol fervor in this country is VERY high among progressives. What I wanna know is why you were surprised that I and others would rather wipe their ass with American Idol than waste an hours time watching it?

I also don't watch FOX... it is for the most part a bullshit channel with bullshit entertainment on it, the programming (except for the Simpsons and Arrested Development which I loved!) is sophomoric at best.

Again... none of this has anything to do with you or your friends, I am bitching and complaining about REDNECK AMERICA who watch FOX and shop at WAL-MART like good little Nazis, and you are sooooo far from a Nazi it ain't even funny!

Don't be all pissed 'cause I hate FOX's programming, I can't help it...

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Hahaha... I generally hate Fox's programming as well. In fact, I think that American Idol may be the only show I even watch on that channel.

I thank you for clarifying exactly what kind of person you meant... and I can agree that most of America watches crap for TV. I have a close friend that has a gazillion channels and watches Fox, CBS, and NBC. That's it. Oh, well, maybe some movie channels... She doesn't even watch the news! Needless to say, we don't discuss current events or politics or history. :rolleyes: But I love her to death, anyway. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted