American Music Awards 2008

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
I am a self confessed american-phile :smile:. Nearly all my favourite musicians are from America; Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey etc.

I watched the performances and awards through youtube, and was just wondering what other people thought of it?

I don't think Rihanna should have been nominated for R&B Female, let alone win it, because there is nothing R&B about her :confused: - though I do feel she rightly deserved the Pop Female award :smile:.

I'm glad Alicia Keys got best album; I really like her as an artist, and her talent speaks for itself. :smile:

Although I am a massive fan of Mariah Carey, I'm glad she didn't win the album or the artist award, because I feel E=MC2 was her weakest album to date. :frown1:. However, her honorary award was throughly deserved; (IMO more for her artistry than actualy number 1s). :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if she was lip-synching or not though? :confused:

Performance wise, as expected Beyonce was great. Christina Aguilera wasn't upto her usual vocal standard, but I assume this is just due to her recent motherhood :confused::smile:.

Leona Lewis was vocally stunning IMO, but I didn't think her perfomance was AMA worthy :confused:.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel was great too :tongue::biggrin1:

I hope this time next year, we get to see Whitney Houston either performing, or even be nominated, though I doubt she'll release her album when she is meant to :frown1::confused:. One of my all time favourite performances by her was actually her medley at the 1994 American Music Awards; no dancing, no dancers, no lights - just The Voice :smile:. (I was too young to even watch TV - I only saw it last year on youtube :redface::tongue:)

What did everyone else think of the AMAs?

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was there and I can tell you that Mariah didn't start out lip-synching. However, she has this "que" that she does for them to start her track up. She'll touch her IED (In-ear device) and then you'll hear her amazingly start to sound better than she did.

The worst part is that she'll continue to sing under the track until it just gets too much for her. It's like hearing two completely different people sing the same song.

I disagree with you about Rihanna, though. I think that she's done above and beyond what people expected from her and thusly is deserving of best female R&B.

Leona Lewis wasn't all that. It was a little garrish the way she kinda thrashed around at one point.

Honestly the best vocal performance of the night would definitely go to Pink. She did that amazing performance of "Sober" and then came back to perfectly harmonize with Sarah McLaughlin. I loved it.

However, Annie Lennox really blew everything out of the water with that performance of "Why?" It was almost organic in nature...I almost cried (and I don't cry about shit.)

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I missed most of the show...I only saw AKeys, Queen Latifah & Kathleen Battle...oh, I also saw Rihanna & Sarah McLachlan & Pink...and that other chick whose name I can't remember...she's got a nice voice, though...short blonde hair...nice looking...

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was there and I can tell you that Mariah didn't start out lip-synching. However, she has this "que" that she does for them to start her track up. She'll touch her IED (In-ear device) and then you'll hear her amazingly start to sound better than she did.

The worst part is that she'll continue to sing under the track until it just gets too much for her. It's like hearing two completely different people sing the same song.

Please tell me i'm not the only person who had no idea about the "que".

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Alicia Keys got best album? Her first album was the only award-worthy one she's recorded. Her most recent album is terribly commercial, a MAJOR disappointment for somebody who's so marginally talented.

I liked the Pink/Sarah performance, Pink's voice is amazing. I'm over American music though, I'm tired of the Justin Timberlakes and Rihannas topping the charts while the Nikka Costas and Chrisette Micheles and Robin Thickes go unmentioned. Us fucking Americans need to stop gobbling up CDs from anyone who looks good in a tanktop or booty shorts. If I hear one more Miley Cyrus song I'm gonna hurl.

After the jazz of the 20s, the rock of the 60s and 70s, America has let the world down. The country that brought us greats like Billie Holiday and Sinatra, now the best we can put out is Ashanti and Chris Brown.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Alicia Keys will have the staying power of Marianne Faithful. Great for the era, but a pop-star at best.

Alicia Keys is capable of better than what she's doing. "You Don't Know My Name" was a masterpiece. Her problem is she gives us these great musical landscapes like Fallen and Girlfriends and YDKMN, then she puts out crap like Karma and No One.

I LOVE her heavy voice but she might wanna let somebody else write her songs til she finds her muse. I think Robin Thicke could give her some wonderful tunes, she should also let Pink and Raphael Saadiq pen her some tunes. All these throwaway pop songs Alicia is singing, she should give them to Rihanna, Beyonce, and Britney.