Americans; Coffee houses

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am not trying to be a negative nitpick, but I fail to see how that's different from most any other country :confused:

(maybe not so much with the laws, but just customary things)

Hell, even within some states, there are huge differences in culture. In California, the Bay Area is completely different from L.A., which is different from San Diego, and all 3 are light years different from the Central Valley.

Or Florida- South Florida is completely different from Central, which is different than Northern.

Illinois- there's Chicago, and then the rest of the state.

New York- Theres NYC, Buffalo, and then the rest of the state.

Quite fascinating.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Hell, even within some states, there are huge differences in culture. In California, the Bay Area is completely different from L.A., which is different from San Diego, and all 3 are light years different from the Central Valley.

Don't forget NorCal....we're a whole notha story! Lol
:wink:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Don't forget NorCal....we're a whole notha story! Lol
:wink:

Hell, no one even knows any cities in NorCal outside of the Bay Area. Eureka? Isn't that in Oregon? :biggrin1::tongue:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There are three coffee houses (a Starbucks, a Stork's and Java Boys) within a ten-minute walk from my apartment, but only Starbucks makes tea the way I like it, so that's where I go (I rarely drink coffee unless I'm away). The coffee scene is parallel to, but different from, the bar scene here in Wilton Manors, and tends to be extremely cliquey and just a bit smug.

The closest diner is Courtyard Cafe, which pretends that it's not a greasy-spoon joint (but it so completely is). I never consider eating dinner there anymore (after some pretty gruesome plates were put on my table), but it's fine for a late-night/pre-dawn breakfast, presuming you want a hearty dollop of gay with your eggs. It's right there in the middle of everything, across the street from Java Boys.

I have a friend who insists on going to a truly retched local diner, after the bar where I work closes, called The Peter Pan. The Pan conforms to the most lurid expectations of noxious, greasy American cuisine, and the photos printed on their enormous, ten-page menu all seem to have been photographed under a red light, making everything look like raw liver. The yuck factor is high, IMO, but he loves it, so we go.

The Floridian has already been mentioned, and is far superior, both in terms of food and service, but that's really not saying much. I've yet to find a late-night diner in FtL that can serve multiple meals in a hot, appetizing and timely manner.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In Ft Lauderdale we use to go to Lester's diner near Port Everglades for late-night grub. This was years ago though and I don't know if it is still there. Good diner food, unpretentious decor and while they weren't rude, the staff weren't that horrid bouncy, friendly type that you get in so many American restaurants now. They just took the order and brought the food and minded their own business.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sambo's pancake houses used to be all over California. The original is still in Santa Barbara. They had the best pancakes and hash browns. Tim Putz presents Sambo's Photos

Yeah...spent many nights during the '70's at Sambo's in Los Angeles on Vermont Avenue. Their mascot and decor were based on a children’s book, Little Black Sambo, chosen because the chain's founders, Sam Battistone and Newell Bonette, were referred to as Sam and Bo. Their food was much better than you'd expect. That one closed in the late-'70's, if I remember. The name and story had racist overtones and communities actually put all but the original restaurant out of business.