Americans know nothing of the world - the evidence

Are either really principalities? The Vatican is a city-state, and the SMOM is not even that ... in fact, some dispute whether it's really sovereign.
These are honest questions. I have no idea.
Perhaps you're just using 'principality' loosely anyway.

The Vatican is a principality, ruled by cardinals who are princes of the church. San Marino is a republic. Don't know about our good friends the Knights. Italy does treat them as an independent nation, however, and, being an enclave, I imagine Italy's opinion is what matters most.

There's a website called GeographyZone where people test their knowledge of geography by marking countries on a map.
20,000 people from all around the world play every day.
The United States regularly comes in at about the 150th spot in terms of geographic literacy.
The country in first place is the Central African country of Kyrgyzstan.

I HATE that site. It's fucking pixel hunt when it comes to the small countries. There needs to be a zoom function.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry I find this all very offensive!

That's people for ya, they'll love to kick ya while you're down. The video itself was obviously edited and put together in a humorous format but now it's turning into "that's what Americans are really like" and "I'm sorry but America..."

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I...I'm sorry did you seriously just say we don't persecute based upon religion or ethnicity? Remember after 9/11, every Muslim "not" being persecuted by the public just for being Muslim?

you think THAT was religious persecution?

Talk to the BUSLOADS of burning Sikhs... or the survivors of religious genocide in Bosnia, or the political genocide in Cambodia...

Or how about one black tribe hacking to death the members of another black tribe in Rwanda...

The biggest trouble with Americans... is what pussies they are about the racial or religious tension in this country.

Listen... when I hear blacks bitch about how tough it is to be black in America... I just gotta think, hey... hang out in Any-fucking-place, Africa, and see how tough it is when your brand of black ain't the ones with the machine guns...
Or where your fellow black members of the community pressure you to stone your daughter for being raped... ( after your mother cuts her clit off, that is, )

Or go to Italy, where everything is so lovely... and our hosts had been trying to get permission to cut down some trees on THEIR OWN LAND... for 70 years... without success...

Or France-Land... or any other place in Europe where living day to day is a chore.

There is a reason EVERYBODY hates America... and EVERYBODY want to live here...

The latter is because America is proof that people of wildly different cultures, creeds and beliefs can LIVE here with remarkably little violence between them...

the former is because Americans have it SO GOOD... and yet all we do is bitch about shit.

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
you think THAT was religious persecution?

Talk to the BUSLOADS of burning Sikhs... or the survivors of religious genocide in Bosnia, or the political genocide in Cambodia...

Or how about one black tribe hacking to death the members of another black tribe in Rwanda...

The biggest trouble with Americans... is what pussies they are about the racial or religious tension in this country.

Listen... when I hear blacks bitch about how tough it is to be black in America... I just gotta think, hey... hang out in Any-fucking-place, Africa, and see how tough it is when your brand of black ain't the ones with the machine guns...
Or where your fellow black members of the community pressure you to stone your daughter for being raped... ( after your mother cuts her clit off, that is, )

There is a reason EVERYBODY hates America... and EVERYBODY want to live here...

The latter is because America is proof that people of wildly different cultures, creeds and beliefs can LIVE here with remarkably little violence between them...

the former is because Americans have it SO GOOD... and yet all we do is bitch about shit.

Quoted For Truth. I think he pulled this from the Bible itself.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS- seriously... considering the the range of folks who live in this country... it is astonishingly peaceful place in which to live.

Our racial and religious tensions are nothing but the vague echo of the tumult that still rages the world over.

Jason_els, I think it odd that your country has no legally paid holidays or paid vacation. If your country did, do you think Americans would travel more abroad?

I did a bit of investigating myself and found this link (see below). According to this study, Canada doesn't rate well either (at the bottom of the list, between the UK and Japan and far behind most European countries). I find those numbers to be low. I've always heard that the more seniority you have, the more vacation you have (as in the study), and that it varies from province to province; however, I've also heard in a news report on the CBC that the minimum of paid vacation that Canadians are entitled to by law is 2-3 weeks (e.g. 2 weeks in my home province of Quebec).

U.S. shame: the only OECD country with no paid vacation
4 Jul 2007 ... Canada lags badly in survey of paid vacation ... Canada ranks third from the bottom with 10 paid days of vacation legislated by law and ...
U.S. shame: the only OECD country with no paid vacation

The best answer I can give you is........ I doubt it.

Labor laws in the US are not nearly as protective as they are elsewhere. Most people here see taking vacation time as a liability because employers actively discourage taking vacation. Many employers will pay you for the time you don't take just to keep you at your desk. Unless you're part of a union, and only 12.5% of Americans belong to one and most of those are government, then you may find yourself without a job when coming back from vacation. While you can't be fired for taking vacation, you might find your advancement blocked or your bonus (if your employer has them) much less than your coworkers. Plum assignments might not come your way either. Unless you're a union worker, your employer is free to fire you any time they like without reason.

Fix those labor issues and you might find that people will begin to take vacation. I was nearly fired for taking 30 days of legally-entitled UNPAID family leave when my father had a heart attack and quadruple bypass and eventually fired for no reason less than a year later despite five years of excellent reviews. I also took all my vacation. Employers cannot directly punish you for taking what you're entitled to, but they can get rid of you once the legal departments find the means they can reasonably defend.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
PS- seriously... considering the the range of folks who live in this country... it is astonishingly peaceful place in which to live.

Our racial and religious tensions are nothing but the vague echo of the tumult that still rages the world over.

I'm sick of you stealin my ideas!!:wink:

I've been arguing for about a week now that the idea of the picket-toting, torch-carrying extremist Christian who wants all gays to be denied rights and locked in cages is mostly a myth. Statistics suggest more and more religious people are becoming at least indifferent to gay partnerships, and many actively support them yet the average gay person thinks they need to wear bullet proof vests and drive armored cars when they ride past a church. Thanks a lot CNN for "informing" cough*manipulating*cough*sensationalism the masses. Get this shit Phil, someone tried to tell me that if Obama wants to win gay support, he should focus on gay hate crime legislation over gay partnership rights. HUH!?!?!? Tacking on a few extra years to someone who's going to prison anyway (not to mention his lawyer who'll get the "hate crime" aspect dropped and charges reduced) is more important than marital rights? Thanks to a lazy nation that swallows the media with gluttony, we've got about 10% aflliction in this country (most of which is caused by our own irrational fears) and 90% fear of the boogeyman.

Last edited:

ballsaplenty2156

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wonder who all you enlightened people would hate on, if all the Americans on this website took a walk and left you all alone?

It is truly sad how much venom comes at America from it's supposed "friends" and "allies". It sickens me to think that we, Americans, are truly on our own in the world.
Yes, we are going thru some very tough times right now; economically, politically, and diplomatically. However, we will eventually regain our former position on the world stage; I'm hoping we will remember all those of you that offered a helping hand and encouragement. That will be a very, very short list, indeed.
My fellow Americans, on here have made many key points in an attempt to defend us on this thread. For that I'm grateful. When the economy improves in the future, I hope those of us that do travel outside this country, remember the attitudes and countries of all those slamming us here, and refuse to spend one American cent in your countries.
Maybe, we as a nation, do need to become more insular and keep all these fair weather friends from visiting or doing business with this country.
I have never in my young life, seen people verbally attack a nation as I see on this website; ridiculing its' policies, people, and intelligence. We are not perfect, but which country is?

Agree completely. It is astonishing how well we get along given the diversity of this country.

Western Europe's immigration policies are a disaster and will sew such seeds of strife as they cannot imagine. HUGE mistake.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Not EVERYBODY hates America...and not EVERYBODY wants to live there. I don't, and I could if I wanted to. In fact I did live there for 17 years. I HATE fucking strip malls.

According to the video, Americans get very little news about the world unless it's about Iraq or the USA and a disproportionate percentage of that is about Anna Nicole Smith. I don't agree with those that say it's what Americans want. It's what the networks deliver and they do so because it's easier and more profitable.

It's not the content we are addicted to, it's the medium. We love TV and most of us will watch whatever is put in front of our noses. When people say "I hate TV", most of us mean we hate what's on, not the medium. We love being able to switch on and be entertained.

If the news organizations would give us more news that mattered, we would watch it and be more aware.

I agree that travel is a good thing. Of course it gives you a perspective that you won't get any other way. More importantly, for me, it gives a perspective on where I coming FROM. I mean looking back at your home place from the outside rather than from the inside looking out.

But if people want to, it is perfectly possible to know where Andorra is without leaving the farm. You just have to want to.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You confuse America bashing with criticism...the arrogance which i mentioned earlier...you just cannot possibly be wrong...oh no...so we must just be picking on you! WAKE UP!

I'm very awake, dear, and there's nothing arrogant about the truth.
Call it bashing, criticism, or even call it "thought provoking web satire". It doesn't change the overall message. I'm sure if I went to Manchester, videotaped a bunch of bar drunks & poor people failing to give correct answers to elementary level History & Geography questions, edited & molded the clips to the theme of Benny Hill, then turn around and say, "The Brits know nothing of the world", you'd be raising bloody hell.

I'm just stating the obvious without trying to pigeonhole or alienate any particular country. The world is full of stupid people and every country has more than a healthy share of them. Would you rather I stoop to your level of comprehension and indulge on vaguely worded statements that discredit an entire nationality, which would also include those who are educated and show a competent level of understanding towards other countries and cultures? Because that's the actions of a person who truly knows nothing.

Did you even watch the video? It's really an attack on the news media and not Americans in general. Because most Americans, including myself, have grown very tired of the stories & information that has been obsessed over by these networks over the last decade. But why spin this study into a comment about "Americans" and how they don't know anything about the world? I wonder where you'll channel your fashionable ignorance once American Hate goes out of style? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Not EVERYBODY hates America...and not EVERYBODY wants to live there. I don't, and I could if I wanted to. In fact I did live there for 17 years. I HATE fucking strip malls.

According to the video, Americans get very little news about the world unless it's about Iraq or the USA and a disproportionate percentage of that is about Anna Nicole Smith. I don't agree with those that say it's what Americans want. It's what the networks deliver and they do so because it's easier and more profitable.

It's not the content we are addicted to, it's the medium. We love TV and most of us will watch whatever is put in front of our noses. When people say "I hate TV", most of us mean we hate what's on, not the medium. We love being able to switch on and be entertained.

If the news organizations would give us more news that mattered, we would watch it and be more aware.

I agree that travel is a good thing. Of course it gives you a perspective that you won't get any other way. More importantly, for me, it gives a perspective on where I coming FROM. I mean looking back at your home place from the outside rather than from the inside looking out.

But if people want to, it is perfectly possible to know where Andorra is without leaving the farm. You just have to want to.

I'm not so sure. Remember when Princess Diana was killed and MSNBC became the, "Princess Diana Channel?" That was their highest ratings period ever. CNN destroyed news in the US as we know it. Most so-called reporters don't even bother to check facts or have the time to. They take news off the AP wire and spin it however they're told. The general lack of education in the US means that most Americans don't know when or how they're being lied to even when it's most blatant.

I once worked in a book distribution center one summer. It was hot, horrible, and I lasted only two weeks before I quit and went back to my lower-paying job at the mall. Part of that was because the people I worked with had NO idea of the world around them. I saw issues of, Weekly World News (click on the link, I dare you!), and other ridiculous tabloids in the lunch room and these people thought this was real news. Half the time when I opened my mouth I'd have my co-workers staring at me, wondering what I was doing there. Was I a management spy? A felon? Drug addict? My education made me distinct and resulted in suspicious ostracism.

Enormous numbers of Americans, even college-educated ones, are vastly undereducated and it's shameful. But it is what happens when the parents and educators themselves are undereducated. More than ever, colleges are teaching to create workers, not independent critical thinkers, and it's a tragedy.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wonder where you'll channel your fashionable ignorance once American Hate goes out of style? :rolleyes:

Isn't it Russia's turn? We haven't really stepped all over their balls lately. Hating Muslims is getting boring, and Christians; too easy.

Enormous numbers of Americans, even college-educated ones, are vastly undereducated and it's shameful. But it is what happens when the parents and educators themselves are undereducated. More than ever, colleges are teaching to create workers, not independent critical thinkers, and it's a tragedy.

This is textbook bigotry unless you present solid, definitive supporting facts. I'd have to see text scores, aptitude tests, assessments, not to mention a graph that clearly defines "undereducated."

"Undereducated" implies circumstantial ignorance so you're blaming someone else for our ignorance. Huh?!. It's also an irrelevant statement because it's not a fact but you used the definitive clause "are" without an indefinite adverb. I don't know what do with the second sentence, it's more irrelevant dribble because it's based on presumption. The last statement is, and I'm detecting a pattern here, more definitive words without those oh-so necessary indefinite adverbs. Can you back up any single one of these statements? I won't ask you to back them all up because you'd have to google all night to find enough articles and *cough*biased material to support your bullshit.

You're entitled to your opinion, but there is true harm in presenting erroneous information as facts, please learn and respect the difference because you're making your country look awfully uneducated. I understand the group of people you're talking about, morons, but it's discriminatory to assume, unfoundedly, that they represent the majority of Americans.

And what constitutes education? You know that in some countries, if I tell the village that you have Aids you'll be kidnapped, castrated, and murdered, America takes care of our HIV patients. Obama is trying to get 10 BILLION that's BILLION with a B as in BILLION dollars in funds to distribute to college students. We DO care about education, that's more than apparent. We're starting to criminally charge and lock up parents who's children skip school or don't graduate on time. No one's arguing that we don't have some idiots, but if it's as bad as you say it is, college entry wouldn't be the competetive sport that it is.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The real topic should say SOME Americans know nothing of the world. I hate it when they try to categorize an entire nation for the stupid actions and/or lack of knowledge of a few. There's idiots in EVERY country. I'm sure I can get a few cameras, go to a few slums and film a few slob-like natives giving wrong answers to everyday questions.

But of course, bashing America is the new black and since we choose to live here we must be guilty by association.

And they call us stupid... :rolleyes:

I'm very awake, dear, and there's nothing arrogant about the truth.
Call it bashing, criticism, or even call it "thought provoking web satire". It doesn't change the overall message. I'm sure if I went to Manchester, videotaped a bunch of bar drunks & poor people failing to give correct answers to elementary level History & Geography questions, edited & molded the clips to the theme of Benny Hill, then turn around and say, "The Brits know nothing of the world", you'd be raising bloody hell.

I'm just stating the obvious without trying to pigeonhole or alienate any particular country. The world is full of stupid people and every country has more than a healthy share of them. Would you rather I stoop to your level of comprehension and indulge on vaguely worded statements that discredit an entire nationality, which would also include those who are educated and show a competent level of understanding towards other countries and cultures? Because that's the actions of a person who truly knows nothing.

Did you even watch the video? It's really an attack on the news media and not Americans in general. Because most Americans, including myself, have grown very tired of the stories & information that has been obsessed over by these networks over the last decade. But why spin this study into a comment about "Americans" and how they don't know anything about the world? I wonder where you'll channel your fashionable ignorance once American Hate goes out of style? :rolleyes:

I was just about to ask you if you had watched it too. But now I see your edit. The video had nothing to do with filming stupid Americans saying stupid things. The OP johnshlong, is a well known troll and America hater. Don't take him seriously.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The real topic should say SOME Americans know nothing of the world. I hate it when they try to categorize an entire nation for the stupid actions and/or lack of knowledge of a few. There's idiots in EVERY country. I'm sure I can get a few cameras, go to a few slums and film a few slob-like natives giving wrong answers to everyday questions.
Bingo. Hence these people throwing their misguided stereotypes around like they are stone-tablet truth.

In my experience, (Germany) a lot of people thought they knew stuff about America in which I knew were not true. But, they thought it was true because their - oh no - media said it. Go figure! While their media may be reporting on issues outside their borders, it still does not make it true, now does it?

Naw, F' that! Everything on the news is true; however, our news is better because it spreads the shitty reporting out over multiple countries!

I have no problem with calling US Media crappy. But call it's people "stupid" (however nicely you want to put it) for having that on TV, is just wrong. Again, screw you all who buy into stereotypes such as this OP.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
BTW, thankyou to the intellectuals and open-minded people who understood the satire of the video. I'm sure that you're too individualistic to base your opinion of a country on a youtube interview with a handful of douchebags. The video didn't offend me because I knew it was meant to be humorous, I just wish some of you people had the ability to think for yourselves. Too many of the goddamn sheep in this world blindly swallow whatever the media spoon-feeds you; which is a perfect analogy because that type of lazy thinking (if you can call it thinking) is infantile.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
BTW, thankyou to the intellectuals and open-minded people who understood the satire of the video. I'm sure that you're too individualistic to base your opinion of a country on a youtube interview with a handful of douchebags. The video didn't offend me because I knew it was meant to be humorous, I just wish some of you people had the ability to think for yourselves. Too many of the goddamn sheep in this world blindly swallow whatever the media spoon-feeds you; which is a perfect analogy because that type of lazy thinking (if you can call it thinking) is infantile.
You sure about that? Alisa Miller is president and CEO of Public Radio International. PRI: Public Radio International: National and World News, Talk, Arts, Entertainment and Music - Alisa Miller on Global News

I think she was serious and there were no douchebags being interviewed.