Americans saying words...

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I heard an expression the other day from a london girl and she said a programme was "Pants" i am from the UK and i never heard that before, i had not a clue what she meant.
Question; does fanny mean butt in America? i was watching an American film with a woman on a keep fit belt vibrating thing, she said " i want to get my fanny toned up"?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that in certain circles, British English is kinda refined and articulated. American English is a departure from refined British. Even more Australian English...is a departure from refined British English. (Speaking as an American and judging from the Britons and the Australians I have met in the States.)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Question; does fanny mean butt in America? i was watching an American film with a woman on a keep fit belt vibrating thing, she said " i want to get my fanny toned up"?

Yes it does, it's a mild term to use instead of butt or ass, something a grandmother might say.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I remember a guy in the UK once told me his wedding night was great, but he was really pissed. I thought how could it be so great if you were really upset?

Other languages are just as fun. A taco is something you eat in Mexico, but in Spain its something all together different and not something you can eat.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I use words and phrases that I have heard from around the world in my travels and work them into my vocabulary as I see fit depending on who I am speaking with.
Ciao,
A bientot
Later Dude
Me ke aloha
Au Reservoir ( If you have not read Mapp and Lucia)
My personal favorite was living in the Caribbean and calling a friend who answered to phone after cocktail hour saying "Hello Good Evening." I still do that sometimes.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just watched Scrubs and an american said Bum. it just sounds wierd. anone else think so? and im not doing this to be harsh so Americans, what do us brits say wierd

I think it's heartening since we all used to say it in the States.

The only portion of the United States which still calls one's derrière his "bum" is the Northeastern quarter of the United States (esp. here in coastal New England) .. and even that's fading fast in favor of the crass sounding "butt" (I assume short for 'buttocks').:rolleyes:

The other word I recall from childhood is "bottom" as in "if you don't behave I'll give you a swat on your bottom".

I was raised to call my bottom my bum and will call it that until they plant me.

I hate what American television makes the rest of the world think of us.

The English say queue up rather than stand in line.

The English say "he's in hospital" rather than "he's in THE hospital".. the list goes on.

The English say "we had to put the dog down" rather than "we had to put the dog to sleep". (That's why I always chuckle when a straight couple who are friends of ours says "oh look at the time! I've got to put Evan [their infant son] down").

I asked recently if they were going to smother him or just shoot the poor little bastard.

The English say "he's gone missing" rather than "he's disappeared" (more and more Americans are saying the former since the "gone missing" business has become pervasive in the news media everywhere here).

AND I DON'T CARE WHICH SIDE OF THE POND IT IS THE PROPER PHRASE IS: "The following is a list of school closings due to the storm" rather than "The following is a list of school closures :rolleyes: due to the storm".

I was raised hearing "I'm cross with you" when my mum was angry with me. "Mad" meant insane. But to most Americans the phrase is "I'm mad at you".

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My favorite phrase that means something TOTALLY different in the UK than it does in the US is this:

One of my friends went to the UK and keeled over laughing when a guy she was with there talked about "sucking on a fag". (He meant smoking a cigarette. :biggrin1:)

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I use words and phrases that I have heard from around the world in my travels and work them into my vocabulary as I see fit depending on who I am speaking with.

Au Reservoir ( If you have not read Mapp and Lucia)

Ah, Nude, I knew there was a reason I liked you. Anyone who quotes from Mapp and Lucia is fine with me. Some of the most enjoyable reading on the planet.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
hearing a southerner say "y'all" (short for "you all"), especially with a deep southern twang, is one of the things i can never get over. it's so different from my west coast approach, where we mainly just say "you guys."

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Ich persönlich sage übrigens lieber Arsch. Hintern. Arsch. Hintern. Arsch, Arsch, Hintern. Hintern, Arsch, Arsch, Hintern, Hintern, Arsch, Hintern. Arsch, Hintern, Hintern, Arsch." --Ein Australier aus Sydney, Monty Pythons Fliegender Zirkus

Translation: "I personally prefer to say arse. Bum. Arse. Bum. Arse, arse, bum. Bum, arse, arse, bum, bum, arse, bum. Arse, bum, bum, arse."

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hearing a southerner say "y'all" (short for "you all"), especially with a deep southern twang, is one of the things i can never get over. it's so different from my west coast approach, where we mainly just say "you guys."

I am a Northerner, where we use the awkward "you guys". I think "y'all" is a very good invention and wish it was in standard use in the North. In fact, I like all of its variations, such as:

- y'all
- y'all's
- all y'all
- all y'alls'

Yes, oddly, the construct of y'all is singular in the South. If you are referring to a group you say, all y'all as in, "Can all y'all fit into that one car?"

I agree that the word "bum" is interchangeable with the word "tramp" in the USA, as in, "He is such a lazy bum. Why doesn't he get a job?"

The word "tramp" seems a bit stilted to my ear. Has it gone out of use, or is it regional?