Among the Most Ironic Phrases Ever Uttered

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was listening to WMAL AM 630 again on the way home from school today. I borrow my father's car sometimes and he leaves it turned to this station all the time because he doesn't like to be faced with contrary points of view. It's an extremely biased one-sided conservative talking point regurgitator.... shows include Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly.

Anyway, some of these station identification lines cracked me up:

"Sean Hannity. The last beacon of truth in a world gone wrong."

"Raise your IQ and not your blood pressure. WMAL AM 630"

Rush Limbaugh: "That's all for today. Broadcast excellence resumes tomorrow."

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
I was listening to WMAL AM 630 again on the way home from school today. I borrow my father's car sometimes and he leaves it turned to this station all the time because he doesn't like to be faced with contrary points of view. It's an extremely biased one-sided conservative talking point regurgitator.... shows include Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly.

Anyway, some of these station identification lines cracked me up:

"Sean Hannity. The last beacon of truth in a world gone wrong."

Rush Limbaugh: "That's all for today. Broadcast excellence resumes tomorrow."

Do these shows narcotize you into a zen state while battling traffic, NIC?

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
I doubt it. At least Springer is entertaining, in a white-trash sort of way. He doesn't pretend that he should be taken seriously.

True. However, likely an equal amount of BS is broadcast, regardless of any of the choices listed above.

My personal preference is Keith Olbermann. Humor AND news!!:smile:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Most Ironic Phrases Ever Uttered"? Hardly. Modern radio just emulates the long history of print and TV. Those little radio slogans are no sillier than the famous one for the venerable NY Times, "All the News That's Fit to Print". And some of you are old enough to remember Walter Cronkite's fatuous, "And that's how it is", every night after he'd given us the view from Walter's Magic Kingdom. And then there's the Manchester Guardian's "Best daily newspaper on the world wide web". That should leave 'em rolling in the aisles. And who can forget Dan Rather's signoff?

The BS on the right side of the pile smells much like .... the BS on the left side of the pile.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
tripod said:
I Love Keith... Good Taste Hatched69!:wink:

Never heard of Keith, is he a radio personality? Is he is as funny as Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart?

I like some funny with my news as well.

Some people who've tried that combination and failed IMO: Dennis Miller (he used to be funny but he's lost it when he became a right-wing tool, he was better as a Libertarian), Al Franken (condescending toward anyone to the right of far far left and just not very funny) Of course... just my opinions.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
big dirigible said:
"Most Ironic Phrases Ever Uttered"? Hardly.

You left off the first word of my subject heading. I said "AMONG the most" not "THE most." I believe that's a salient difference.

big dirigible said:
The BS on the right side of the pile smells much like .... the BS on the left side of the pile.

You don't have to argue with me on this one.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
big dirigible said:
some of you are old enough to remember Walter Cronkite's fatuous, "And that's how it is"

Apparently you're not.

And since you're malicious enough to lump Walter Cronkite and Sean Hannity in the same category, I'd like to refute: (emphasis mine)

One of Cronkite's trademarks was ending the CBS Evening News with the phrase, "...And that's the way it is:", followed by the date. Keeping to standards of objective journalism, he omitted this phrase on nights when he ended the newscast with opinion or commentary.

(source)

Cronkite was ethical enough to separate news from opinion, and used his trademark line exclusively for news reporting. That's a separation that Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly deliberately ignore.

Nitrofiend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NineInchCock_160IQ said:

That has to be my favorite one, since it's patently stupid. IQ's are pretty constant throughout your life, it's a predetermined part of you and measures your mental capacity. Secondly, I like how it implies that if you heard any other viewpoint other than what you would hear on that station, it would enrage you. I've never before actually seen or heard a serious slogan encouraging narrowmindedness...wow. They're really preachin' to the choir there, aren't they?

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mindseye put down:

Cronkite was ethical enough to separate news from opinion, and used his trademark line exclusively for news reporting. That's a separation that Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly deliberately ignore.

You guys are forgetting onve very important thing:

Limbaugh, Hannity and O'Reilly are NOT, let me repeat again for the reading impaired, NOT, reporters or journalists.

What they ARE, again, let me repeat for the reading impaired, they ARE commentators. People paid to give their OPINIONS on issues. The reason that many people do not like them is that their opinions differ from theirs. There is a big difference between commentators and journalists and reproters.

I'm glad that all the people on the Left on this forum are giving them a work promotion but the FACTS (and I know that word is a slur to some members of the Left) are that they are NOT reporters, they have NEVER claimed to be reporters.

Don't give them praise that they don't deserve.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sklar said:
I'm glad that all the people on the Left on this forum are giving them a work promotion but the FACTS (and I know that word is a slur to some members of the Left)

Your point is well taken -- officially, they're commentators, not reporters. However, "the Left" was not the side that dragged Walter Cronkite into this debate. Also, I still stand by my claim that the commentators I mentioned deliberately blur the distinction. They'd be just happy for their listeners to misinterpret their opinions as factual news.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
I doubt it. At least Springer is entertaining, in a white-trash sort of way. He doesn't pretend that he should be taken seriously.

Not only that, but in his original show, his sign off was "Take care of yourselves, AND each other". He has since become a caricature of anything he was previously, but I'd STILL put his IQ above that of the three stooges with which NIC/160 opened this discussion.

As for ironic phrases, I'll stick with "religious right".

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
You left off the first word of my subject heading. I said "AMONG the most" not "THE most." I believe that's a salient difference.

You don't have to argue with me on this one.
I'm beginning to think that BD is really Ann Coulter's alter ego.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nitrofiend said:
<...>
Secondly, I like how it implies that if you heard any other viewpoint other than what you would hear on that station, it would enrage you. I've never before actually seen or heard a serious slogan encouraging narrowmindedness...wow. They're really preachin' to the choir there, aren't they?
Well, I have met some of Rush's biggest fans, and yes, even the suggestion of an opposing viewpoint DOES enrage them.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
madame_zora said:
Not only that, but in his original show, his sign off was "Take care of yourselves, AND each other". He has since become a caricature of anything he was previously, but I'd STILL put his IQ above that of the three stooges with which NIC/160 opened this discussion.

I'll agree. Springer's OK, no doubt. It's just the "guests" he has on his show that makes for the comparison with the other "commentators". To each their own. :redface:

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
madame_zora said:

As long as we can include Liberal Left in this, I can agree with that.

I'll even go you one better, Madame Z, just to show I don't have any political bias:

Moral Majority

Friendly Fire

Military Intelligence

Air America

It Takes A Village

Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football

I did not have sex with that woman

Hillary For President

Oprah For President

National Organization of Woman

Independant Thinkers

Anything John Kerry says