Amy Winehouse punches fan while singing???

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Awesome! Go AMY! Punch that creep again!

You knee-jerks can't even see what that "fan" did while she was high-5-ing her real fans... the bodyguard is in the way of the cam... but, you are SO ready to judge her from your comfy suburban armchair.

"Novelty song"?... yeah... guess that's why she's gotten so much acclaim for all the work on both of her albums. Stay home and keep reading National Enquirer, boys and girls.

Onan

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Sure because acclaim from music critics and the record industry definitely means you're not a fad these days. Please, all they're looking for is something they can sell for a while, apparently with an image of self-abuse nowadays, until the next big thing comes along.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sure because acclaim from music critics and the record industry definitely means you're not a fad these days. Please, all they're looking for is something they can sell for a while, apparently with an image of self-abuse nowadays, until the next big thing comes along.

Amy's two albums are undeniably brilliant, critics approval or not. Her music is old skool & therefore timeless in its appeal. As Ive said before, despite the drama her music is still shifting. It was shifting before the drama too so it seems her drug abuse is neither helping or hindering her sales. Quality music is what people want at the end of the day. She delivers.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Shouldn't you have said "Multipe Grammy Award Winning Amy Winehouse hits fan"?

just think in 5 years VH1 will be doing a 'where are they now' and they can do this one in 5 minutes...."she died of an......."

She isn't bad but good grief- arfen't hey hundreds of better, less um...train wrecky singers out there?

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Shouldn't you have said "Multipe Grammy Award Winning Amy Winehouse hits fan"?

just think in 5 years VH1 will be doing a 'where are they now' and they can do this one in 5 minutes...."she died of an......."

She isn't bad but good grief- arfen't hey hundreds of better, less um...train wrecky singers out there?

NO

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I heard he tried to grab her tits. If I'd been in her place I'd have done the same thing.
Right on, HickBoy... She sucker punched that asshole!

Why are so many untalented people so hateful towards her?

Think about that.

Last edited:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Amy's two albums are undeniably brilliant, critics approval or not. Her music is old skool & therefore timeless in its appeal. As Ive said before, despite the drama her music is still shifting. It was shifting before the drama too so it seems her drug abuse is neither helping or hindering her sales. Quality music is what people want at the end of the day. She delivers.

Well atleast you put your own opinion behind it, instead of insisting she's good just because the critics say so. I don't care for her music either way, but I give you credit for defending her based on your own opinion.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why are so many untalented people so hateful towards her?

Think about that.

Because so many people have been programmed to believe that success can only be visualized in one way. The female vocalist has to be visually stunning, curvy, without a hair out of place, always smiling (with perfect teeth of course), who sings songs of diva-like mentality about loving that man, hating that man, wishing they could break up with that man, wondering why they're still staying with that cheater of a man, contemplating about taking someone else's man... oh yeah, and the quintessential party jam that is attached to some random dance step that makes no sense until the song is played.

We forget that these are musicians. Just about all of them do drugs in some fashion to begin with even if it's not on camera. And we also forget how messed up some people are when they were on stage in the 60s and 70s. Janis Joplin? Jim Morrison? Jimi Hendrix? Anyone with a guitar? Despite their issues with drugs (and some do die of overdoses), their contribution to music is essential.

Sure, Amy Winehouse could use a little help with her public image for those who latch onto that more than artistic integrity. But musically, she's one of the most interesting people making records now. I can look at my niece's toys if I want to see another Barbie doll on stage.

EboniGoddess

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Marley and xcuse....I think you both would agree with me if I said she's the most valuable to the record company if she isn't dead. Putting her away now and holding her against her will would be an investment.

I cant help but think that maybe she aspires to be as drugged up as the singers of the time frame she aspires to sound like. Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, tons of motown legends......all were junkies at one point of time or another. Even Bob Marley has a pothead. Then again:rolleyes:, atleast they knew how to hide it when they were on stage.

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Marley and xcuse....I think you both would agree with me if I said she's the most valuable to the record company if she isn't dead. Putting her away now and holding her against her will would be an investment.

I cant help but think that maybe she aspires to be as drugged up as the singers of the time frame she aspires to sound like. Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, tons of motown legends......all were junkies at one point of time or another. Even Bob Marley has a pothead. Then again:rolleyes:, atleast they knew how to hide it when they were on stage.

Her record company cant force her to do anything except stick to her contract obligations. I think her drug use is more to do with the circes she mixes in rather than a contrived attempt to imitate her idols. Its like quicksand, once in its hard to drag yourself out. Bob Marley never hid his pot smoking, in fact its a big part of his image!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Only the good die young.

Not soon enough. I don't care how many records she's sold.

She's a total piece of trash.
She's doing drugs in front of everyone, and quite honestly a strung out freakshow.

"Well he grabbed her tit" - What the fuck is her bodyguard standing there for, to look macho?? Let him do his job, not her to do it for him.

The short clip I listened to sounded like a half dead cat drowning on its own flegm.

Is this the kind of image you want YOUR kids to lisen to and follow??
Do Drugs, drink yourselves to oblivion, and step on everybody around you?

Sad.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Because so many people have been programmed to believe that success can only be visualized in one way. The female vocalist has to be visually stunning, curvy, without a hair out of place, always smiling (with perfect teeth of course), who sings songs of diva-like mentality about loving that man, hating that man, wishing they could break up with that man, wondering why they're still staying with that cheater of a man, contemplating about taking someone else's man... oh yeah, and the quintessential party jam that is attached to some random dance step that makes no sense until the song is played.

We forget that these are musicians. Just about all of them do drugs in some fashion to begin with even if it's not on camera. And we also forget how messed up some people are when they were on stage in the 60s and 70s. Janis Joplin? Jim Morrison? Jimi Hendrix? Anyone with a guitar? Despite their issues with drugs (and some do die of overdoses), their contribution to music is essential.

Sure, Amy Winehouse could use a little help with her public image for those who latch onto that more than artistic integrity. But musically, she's one of the most interesting people making records now. I can look at my niece's toys if I want to see another Barbie doll on stage.

Tell it, brother. Amy Winehouse is no cookie cutter blonde turning out bubblegum music. Her singing style is unique, but borrows heavily from Dinah Washington, and sometimes even Bessie Smith. Her musical style shifts constantly, but manages to pay homage to multiple eras of music simultaneously.

Tell me an artist these days who can win Grammy awards with tunes that sound like they came right out of Phil Specter-ville and backed up by The Shirelles. Like Jason Mraz, and others recently, they have dragged modern pop music over to the altar of jazz and made them like it.

Finally, although my heart goes out to her dealing with her self-destructive demons, she has managed to mine them for some of the best songwriting that has come around in a long time. "My Tears Dry On Their Own", "Love is a Losing Game", etc. These are no bubblegum airhead pop tunes. They bear the marks of painful realities in the spirit of genuine blues.

What astonishes me is how much talent can flow from someone who is so fucked up in her demons, her behavior, and the stultifying affect of the chemistry she consumes.

Take a moment to watch this performance from last September. Notice that this is not some lip-synching bimbo. Yes she already shows signs of self-destruction with the bee-do, the tatts and the emaciation of an eating disorder and drugs. But notice that this soulful and inspired performance is unassisted by any electronics. It is a naked performance backed up by a quiet guitarists "comping" the jazz chords she wrote, while she sings the words that she wrote.

As I said in a previous post, you might not relate to the style. The secret to understanding it is that this is not so much singing as it is voice as jazz instrument through which emotions are conveyed through poetic words of pain.

The question is, if this is not talent, then how can it sell. It is not packaged or produced or hyped in any way. The words, music and style are not like anything out there today, yet she wins Grammys and such. People like it because it is genuine. And I am sure that her popularity is not due to her lifestyle. People might pretend to admire it, but most people just see a train wreck in progress. It makes good tabloids, but tabloid readers are not jazz fans.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What astonishes me is how much talent can flow from someone who is so fucked up in her demons, her behavior, and the stultifying affect of the chemistry she consumes.

Some people say that true art comes from the hardship and heartbreak of one's personal life. It's also why many people prefer the old Mary J. Blige over the new & improved one because she sang songs that could connect with those who are struggling as well. I don't believe the statement 100%, but I do think personal struggle does have something to do with the way a person conducts themselves in the public eye and in artistic expression.

One thing's for certain. I can listen to a track by Amy Winehouse, Anita Baker, Randy Crawford and feel some kind of emotional, distinctive & creative flow with their voices. Most of today's pop princess are talented in their own way, but their overly cliché lyrical content & generically trained voices get lost in their overly-sanitized image & ultra-hyped reputations. It's as if the only thing you're allowed to have that is different from everyone else is your race (since they're born with it and it can't be changed with plastic surgery) and the record label (since they sold their lives to it).

Last edited:

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thank you, JustAsking and VinylBoy for your intelligent, well-rounded and thoughtful posts.

The rest of you... get back to your Soap Opera! You aren't even listening.

Onan

Er, Ive defended Amy more than anyone around here thankyou. Not just on this thread either. Damn sight more than you have...

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I think her singing is sort of flat. I thought she was cute until I saw her up close...and then you can see that the drugs have given her crack skin.

But she could fix that by sobering up.

She also seems like a bitch.

Which can be cute, but I could totally see her punching someone unprovoked. Although the video doesn't show shit.

It's very possible that someone grabbed her inappropriately, in which case, they totally deserved it. Maybe if it happened they assumed she is such a drugged up hag that she wouldn't react.

One good thing I can say about her is she seems real in the way she sings and walks
Just don't fuck with Amy Winehouse. And don't be talkin that trash about Courtney Love either.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Er, Ive defended Amy more than anyone around here thankyou. Not just on this thread either. Damn sight more than you have...
Sorry XCUSE... was annoyed and in a hurry... totally meant to include you in that post! You made some good points in her defense a well.

mea culpa

Last edited: