Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lemont77, Jun 25, 2007.

1. lemont77

lemont77 Member

Albums:
    Ok, if y'all have never heard of her, go get her CD "Back in Black" TODAY! Download it, whatever. Her sound is great, she's just the best.

YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Rehab

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I like her too.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'm not keen on her she reminds me of Shirley Bassey.

4. snoozan

Gold Member

There are a few fans of her on this board.

I can't decide if she's doing a really cool thing by updating a classic sound with modern, edgy lyrics or if she's just a throwback who doesn't have quite the talent of her predecessors. I still bought some of her songs on iTunes though.

It doesn't help that she's all over the tabloids and her public persona is that of bitchy, drunk, eating-disordered basket case.

5. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amy Winehouse is awesome, the thing is she's not classic. She hasn't solidified her sound as being something that can stand the test of time. As good as she is, it's a little on the gimmicky side.

I think in order for her to stay around for any length of time, she has to keep her smokey, vintage sound, but stay real current with her look. People are almost 100% visual in their descisions nowdays and if it's something they've seen already and they aren't willing to keep on supporting that, she'll be dust by this time next year.

6. lemont77

lemont77 Member

Albums:
    I'm really more about her sound than her appearance. She's one of those toothpicks I was telling you about...not my bag. Honestly, she looks like she always just woke up with a hangover. But her music is great. Clever lyrics, too.

7. naughty

Gold Member

Lemont,

As you can see from my location she has a number of LPSG fans. I dont quite know what it is about her that I like. But she is witty wild and somewhat unexpected.

We discuss her further in "Voices that make you melt" and "Favorite lyrics" here in Etc. The boys have even lusted after her in the Celebrity Endowment section! LOL!

8. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I think her trashy aprearance bothers me too much, and her music isn't great either. So I'll save hard drive space, and wasting my time stealing it off the net.

9. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

She can sing alright...just don't ask her to speak! She sounds like a bag of rusty spanners!

10. dong20

Gold Member

I's seen here but never heard her, I like this version better (well, kind of):

YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Rehab (Live at the Brits 2007)=

To me it's like she's trying to emulate a vocal style rather than create one of her own, not good, not bad, merely forgettable. I guess it's that personal choice thing.:smile:

11. palmit

palmit Member

She is great, but I'm tired of hearing "Rehab," especially the version with Jay-Z. Her first album was good (although last time I checked you can't get it on i-Tunes), but I like Back to Black a little more.

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes that was my point. She's just a throw back. Throw Etta James,Joan Armatrading and a little Leslie gore and you got it. She will do well. The kids will see here as new when she really isnt. Tori Amos made millions ripping off Kate Bush. This woman is strung out big time. I dont find a junky sexy.

13. CPearl

CPearl New Member

Amy Winehouse is the most exciting thing to hit the scene in a long time. She has a look, an edge, and much respect for the artists that came before her.

14. findfirefox

Gold Member

I like "Rehab" but I have not heard any of her other songs.

15. Duality

Duality New Member

MTV has really gotten behind her. Just like Britney Spears, except this time we know upfront that she's a huge mess.

16. transformer_99

Gold Member

Overrated ?

Image:WinehouseLA.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Born rebel Amy Winehouse - Boston.com
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/07/winehouse270706_544x600.jpg

I won't carry on about the look, but will suggest it's a bad 80's hair & pop outfit in one of those B-52's hairdoos meets Madonna/Cyndi Lauper weirdo outfit. Tattoos with that look ? OK, enough on that. Did I mention her music s*cks too. The videos & vocals I heard were simply poor audio from the 30's ,40's, 50's and 60's. Almost stereophonic remastered from monaural at best. I almost waited for the tell-tale crackle from the static of either a diamond tipped 33 1/3/45 rpm turntable or AM radio reception during an electrical storm. Yep, AM radio is the best I could describe it. Radio free Cuba anyone ? Mazzy Star is the best I could come up with, but with one difference, Mazzy Star had a hit.

Mazzy Star Boulevard - Soundfiles

17. lacuna22

lacuna22 New Member

Albums:
    i am a very big fan already, LOVE that record, and totally dig her vibe. she's what rock and roll used to and oughta always be, a great voice in a little body that's living hard and messy. of course, i wouldn't want her to go the way of janis or kurt, but i'll be listening to whatever she decides to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted