Amy Winehouse

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are a few fans of her on this board.

I can't decide if she's doing a really cool thing by updating a classic sound with modern, edgy lyrics or if she's just a throwback who doesn't have quite the talent of her predecessors. I still bought some of her songs on iTunes though.

It doesn't help that she's all over the tabloids and her public persona is that of bitchy, drunk, eating-disordered basket case.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Amy Winehouse is awesome, the thing is she's not classic. She hasn't solidified her sound as being something that can stand the test of time. As good as she is, it's a little on the gimmicky side.

I think in order for her to stay around for any length of time, she has to keep her smokey, vintage sound, but stay real current with her look. People are almost 100% visual in their descisions nowdays and if it's something they've seen already and they aren't willing to keep on supporting that, she'll be dust by this time next year.

lemont77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm really more about her sound than her appearance. She's one of those toothpicks I was telling you about...not my bag. Honestly, she looks like she always just woke up with a hangover. But her music is great. Clever lyrics, too.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lemont,

As you can see from my location she has a number of LPSG fans. I dont quite know what it is about her that I like. But she is witty wild and somewhat unexpected.

We discuss her further in "Voices that make you melt" and "Favorite lyrics" here in Etc. The boys have even lusted after her in the Celebrity Endowment section! LOL!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I think her trashy aprearance bothers me too much, and her music isn't great either. So I'll save hard drive space, and wasting my time stealing it off the net.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, if y'all have never heard of her, go get her CD "Back in Black" TODAY! Download it, whatever. Her sound is great, she's just the best.

YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Rehab

I's seen here but never heard her, I like this version better (well, kind of):

YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Rehab (Live at the Brits 2007)=

To me it's like she's trying to emulate a vocal style rather than create one of her own, not good, not bad, merely forgettable. I guess it's that personal choice thing.:smile:

palmit

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
She is great, but I'm tired of hearing "Rehab," especially the version with Jay-Z. Her first album was good (although last time I checked you can't get it on i-Tunes), but I like Back to Black a little more.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are a few fans of her on this board.

I can't decide if she's doing a really cool thing by updating a classic sound with modern, edgy lyrics or if she's just a throwback who doesn't have quite the talent of her predecessors. I still bought some of her songs on iTunes though.

It doesn't help that she's all over the tabloids and her public persona is that of bitchy, drunk, eating-disordered basket case.
Yes that was my point. She's just a throw back. Throw Etta James,Joan Armatrading and a little Leslie gore and you got it. She will do well. The kids will see here as new when she really isnt. Tori Amos made millions ripping off Kate Bush. This woman is strung out big time. I dont find a junky sexy.

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Amy Winehouse is the most exciting thing to hit the scene in a long time. She has a look, an edge, and much respect for the artists that came before her.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Amy Winehouse is the most exciting thing to hit the scene in a long time. She has a look, an edge, and much respect for the artists that came before her.

Overrated ?

Image:WinehouseLA.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Born rebel Amy Winehouse - Boston.com
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/07/winehouse270706_544x600.jpg

I won't carry on about the look, but will suggest it's a bad 80's hair & pop outfit in one of those B-52's hairdoos meets Madonna/Cyndi Lauper weirdo outfit. Tattoos with that look ? OK, enough on that. Did I mention her music s*cks too. The videos & vocals I heard were simply poor audio from the 30's ,40's, 50's and 60's. Almost stereophonic remastered from monaural at best. I almost waited for the tell-tale crackle from the static of either a diamond tipped 33 1/3/45 rpm turntable or AM radio reception during an electrical storm. Yep, AM radio is the best I could describe it. Radio free Cuba anyone ? Mazzy Star is the best I could come up with, but with one difference, Mazzy Star had a hit.

Mazzy Star Boulevard - Soundfiles

lacuna22

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lemont,

As you can see from my location she has a number of LPSG fans. I dont quite know what it is about her that I like. But she is witty wild and somewhat unexpected.

We discuss her further in "Voices that make you melt" and "Favorite lyrics" here in Etc. The boys have even lusted after her in the Celebrity Endowment section! LOL!

i am a very big fan already, LOVE that record, and totally dig her vibe. she's what rock and roll used to and oughta always be, a great voice in a little body that's living hard and messy. of course, i wouldn't want her to go the way of janis or kurt, but i'll be listening to whatever she decides to do.