An alien pod in a room full of leftists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dazedandconfused, Dec 14, 2011.

1. dazedandconfused

2. Meniscus

Gold Member

I've met conservatives who have reasonable views and can defend them rationally. I can respect their opinion even when I disagree with it. And I thinks it's a good thing for myself and other leftists have our beliefs and assumptions challenged. It forces us to think critically and make sure we have our facts straight, otherwise we're just preaching to the choir. It also fosters understanding and can help us find common ground.

Having said that, there are beliefs that have no foundation in fact, are divorced from reality, and have no rational defense. One could argue that such views aren't worthy of polite, rational debate, and should be called out as ugly, irrational, outrageous, evil, and/or insane. Many (most?) of the views expressed by Tea Baggers and today's Republican leaders fall into this category. Today's conservatives are very different from the conservatives of 30 or more years ago. As much as today's conservatives like to invoke the name of Ronald Reagan, there's no way he would get the Republican nomination today. Many of his views and policies are far closer to those of Barack Obama than of any of the current Republican candidates. I think almost every conservative person I know has expressed to me that even though they don't want to vote for the Democrat, they feel that their party has been "taken over" by the radical right and have nothing but contempt for the Bachmann, Perry, Cain, and the rest of their ilk.

Watch this video for an interesting discussion about how today's conservatism has become less of a political ideology and like a religion.
    Has American Conservatism Become a Religion? - YouTube

This is somewhat off-topic, but here's a discussion about how Fox News viewers know less than people who don't watch any news at all.
    MidweekPolitics's Channel - YouTube

3. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There do seem to be several people here more interested in shouting and personal abuse than debating the merits of an issue. Then again, this can be a very effective, rational, way of closing a debate where you dont see an alternative winning argument. The internet nowadays is being overrun with interest groups and paid lobbyists. So people, if you want to win an argument, keep to the facts and attack the facts.

4. houtx48

Gold Member

I read some of this guy's spiel and he has found a unmined niche...........he may have a point.

5. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's the internet, some boards you will feel comfortable, shared views, reasoned responses, others not so much. This place in general seems fairly reasonable in responses, the occasional note of discord, I can skip over. If a poster on either side, liberal or conservative is a shouter, I don't respond to them, on most boards that seems to be the best way to get a troublemaker to either simmer down or to just leave. If they really go over the top, I have seen the moderators step in and at times even vanquish them to the soy bean field.

6. aninnymouse

Gold Member

I think that part of the problem is that the right has become SO FAR right, that someone says Republican, or Conservative, and the immediate image that pops into one's head is Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sarah Palin, Ron Paul, etc.

Another part of the problem is that politics tends to bring out the worst in people. I'm not sure why that is, but political discussion is not something that many people can engage in reasonably. People tend to get defensive when their views are challenged, or if they perceive that someone is challenging their views.

It's a shame, because IMO, this country, and the world is headed down a very dangerous path, and we need some serious, reasonable discourse on how to fix problems before the whole thing blows up in our face.

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with the rest of your post, but this bit I'm not so sure about. Ronald Reagan was a politician. A very good one and I think if he was running for President today, he would be pandering to the lowest common denominator as well. Perhaps the real difference is the that lowest common denominator is just lower than it use to be.

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The author of the article has some points to make about discourse in the US in 2011, but as I read it, he is typical of the problem- All the fault for the cultural wars and the political gridlock he lays at the feet of "the left" and is offended that Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck aren't taken seriously. Huh???

He's also a douche the way he behaves at parties.

It's true that there are a lot of "knee-jerk liberals who aren’t just intolerant of other points of view, they literally can’t handle the truth." But it takes two to tango and there are at least as many of the same ilk on the right.

9. Meniscus

Gold Member

I actually think Reagan was an honest and authentic conservative, genuinely believing in his positions on various issues. But perhaps you're right and I give him too much credit. So I revise my original statement to say that if he took positions on today's issues that were consistent with the positions he took when he was president, he'd be considered far too moderate to succeed in today's Republican party.

Agreed. He complains that leftists are intolerant and "can't handle the truth" because they don't respect Beck or Palin or Coulter, and because they don't let him get away with outrageous claims like The New York Times is "anti-family" because they published an article on gay cruising or because they had a positive review the "anti-normal-family" movie The Kids Are All Right.

Draft saved Draft deleted