An englishman's view on McCain

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Everyone has a right to make fair comment on any subject they please on this board. Americans are not shy about stating their opinions about foreign leaders, whether they are informed opinions or not. The non-US members can and should comment on US politics.

I wonder if the OP had said something along the lines of- "John McCain seems to be very trust worthy and I hope he becomes the next President", if the posters who told him it was none of his business, would have said the same things?

Take your heads out of the sand.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To me, the opinions of foreigners really are irrelevant, no offense intended. They can't possibly know the intricacies of our government, the culture of the various areas of the US and how those candidates play there, etc.

You would be shocked then, to know how false that statement is. I've been working and living abroad for the last 17 years, mostly in Vienna, and I can tell you that a good many "foreigners" are extremely knowledgeable and versed in the intricacies and machinations of the American political system. The policies and actions of the US, more so then ever, have a huge effect on the rest of the world. I don't have to explain to you just how small the world has become through advancements in technology and communications. A person in the UK, Brazil or Japan, eg., has immediate access to the events as they unfold during the election process. In many ways the opinions of foreign observers is far less biased and prejudiced then a person getting their information from just the US media, where the propaganda machines are running full bore. I also find that often, just as when one learns a second language, the rules and intricacies are actually processed, sought out and learned as opposed to just assumed and taken for granted.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I, for one, am always interested in hearing the opinions of foreigners on American politics, whether or not I agree with them. I find them instructive.

Definitely. However, an opinion on the "vibes" a politician gives off isn't really that informative, necessary, or relevent.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Definitely. However, an opinion on the "vibes" a politician gives off isn't really that informative, necessary, or relevent.

I hear you. I was speaking to the concept in general and reacting to the ideas of some people here that the opinions of people abroad are either worthless, entirely uninformed or irrelevant. It interests me to know how we and our politicians are perceived, even sometimes personally.

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
lol @ an "Englishman's view on McCain"

Good to have your input.

McCain's an Irish surname isn't it? :wink: And don't forget his wife's name Cindy LOU McCain.

In all seriousness Barack's the man. Whether or not we can get over ourselves as a collective batch of insularists and bible thumpers remains to be seen.

My partner's father said the other day while he and my "mother-in-law" were at lunch. "Well I can tell you who I'm not voting for!! I bet you know who I mean too!"

I asked "who pray tell?"

Reply: "That Muslim fellah" :confused:

I responded "But both McCain and Obama are Christians".

Said he, "oh NO they're not!! Obama's middle name is "Hussein" and you know what that means!"

I put down my fork and said "what is it you dislike about him more that he's half black or that you perceive him as a terrorist?"

Dessert was not served that noontime. :rolleyes:

I apologize my good English friend for how common we are (generally) as a country. We bear little resemblance to what was once a very fine concept in governing. As a collective I suspect we're not an awfully bright bunch.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
lol @ an "Englishman's view on McCain"

Good to have your input.

McCain's an Irish surname isn't it? :wink:

The former "Mc" part of his name is Scottish and means son of. The latter part, "Cain," is of Hebrew origin meaning craftsman.

B_phe1249

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most Americans, being Americans, could care less about what the world thinks of them or their politicians. Hell, most would be hard pressed to name a current leader of another country. Who's the president of Canada? Is it Prime Minister there or President? Who cares.
Mexico? Where is that exactly?

Chalk one up for the great American educational system - the saviour of democracy.

I think you underestimate most Americans and their knowledge of the rest of the world. Most Americans will not seek the approval of the rest of the world by voting one way or another. As for our educational system it offers more access and opportunity than any other in the world. What the students chose to do with it is for another debate.

Canada has a PM, he lives in Ottawa, that would be in Ontario.

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
The former "Mc" part of his name is Scottish and means son of. The latter part, "Cain," is of Hebrew origin meaning craftsman.

I realize the "Mc" or "Mac" (in Scotland) is 'son of'.

You're mistaken though.

McCain is an Irish surname. It's not Scottish. And I sincerely doubt there's anything "Hebrew" about the name 'Cain'. Remove the "Mc" and you've got "Cain" which is utterly and entirely Irish and another legitimate Irish surname.

McCain's Irish ancestry

Hiberno-Scottish or IRISH family name

from Ulster Heritage Magazine:

"Those that have read Senator McCain’s autobiography, Faith of Our Fathers, will know that he addresses his McCain roots briefly in that book. He gives a short history of his McCains being Highland Scots, connected to Clan Donald. So, how does that tie into the reality of his Antrim roots? Well, he made a slight, but very understandable error in his family history, one which many McCains of this family have made, including myself. The story he gives was one that circulated widely among the members of our family from the early 1900s well into the 1980s. It was a story crafted by early researchers who meant well, but were totally lost in the very Gaelic world of the early McCains. It was only recently and after he completed his book that a more complete and accurate history of this McCain family was recovered. This recovered history was the work of several McCain researchers, both native born Irish McCains and McCains in Canada and USA, who used DNA testing and primary source research to find out what they could about the family.

This is where the research into this family is at present; both the primary source research and the DNA testing suggest they were one of many Gaelic families that moved back and forth over the Irish Sea and part of the Gallóglaigh kindreds. Research is still ongoing so it is premature to come to final conclusions, but Senator McCain’s roots go back to this Gaelic world. He is of Irish ancestry; this is certain, but there is an old link to Argyll and to Gaelic Scotland as well. Given the dynamic history of his family, his father, grandfather, and now his son, this history fits them well."

Any questions?

Last edited:

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Last edited:

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I was listening to a radio show this morning and a man with Irish family called in to offer the opinion they gave him. It's just about as useful as the OP but far funnier.

"We can't understand American politics. On one ticket you have a lawyer married to another lawyer running with a lawyer married to another lawyer. On the other you have a war hero married to a hot rich owner of a beer distributer running with a hot mom. Where's the competition here?"

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, I was listening to a radio show this morning and a man with Irish family called in to offer the opinion they gave him. It's just about as useful as the OP but far funnier.

"We can't understand American politics. On one ticket you have a lawyer married to another lawyer running with a lawyer married to another lawyer. On the other you have a war hero married to a hot rich owner of a beer distributer running with a hot mom. Where's the competition here?"

LMAO!:laughing::lmao:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Everyone has a right to make fair comment on any subject they please on this board. Americans are not shy about stating their opinions about foreign leaders, whether they are informed opinions or not. The non-US members can and should comment on US politics.

I wonder if the OP had said something along the lines of- "John McCain seems to be very trust worthy and I hope he becomes the next President", if the posters who told him it was none of his business, would have said the same things?

Take your heads out of the sand.

CHEERS mate!

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You would be shocked then, to know how false that statement is. I've been working and living abroad for the last 17 years, mostly in Vienna, and I can tell you that a good many "foreigners" are extremely knowledgeable and versed in the intricacies and machinations of the American political system. The policies and actions of the US, more so then ever, have a huge effect on the rest of the world. I don't have to explain to you just how small the world has become through advancements in technology and communications. A person in the UK, Brazil or Japan, eg., has immediate access to the events as they unfold during the election process. In many ways the opinions of foreign observers is far less biased and prejudiced then a person getting their information from just the US media, where the propaganda machines are running full bore. I also find that often, just as when one learns a second language, the rules and intricacies are actually processed, sought out and learned as opposed to just assumed and taken for granted.

well said...i for example watched as americans did (live) Hillary clintons speech endorsing Obama and i watched HIS speech too and yes despite being an english Democrat supporter watched both Sarah Palin and McCains speeches too. I surely from this can at least make an opinion about who i think is most (or least) trustworthy in accordance with the ways in which they carried themselves....that after all was my point to begin with....i don't trust McCain

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't notice the beady eyes on McCain either. The Republican media machine must use technology and trick photography to hide them from the voting public. After I learned about the beady eyes I switched my support over to the Obama camp, only to be disappointed when I discovered that he had big ears and was probably sneaky like a rabbit.

atomicTIGER

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Simply...he looks like the personification of a T-Rex....basically shifty looking with the beadiest eyes and i know you should never judge a book by its cover but lets face it....you don't buy a cook book and find gardening tips on the inside!

If i were american....Obama would have my vote!!!

Go Obama!!!
You are right! All the beady eyed devil does is stand there and check out Sarahs ass and tits!!!!!:smile::biggrin1::smile::biggrin1::smile::biggrin1::smile:

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
Your link says it is both Irish and Scottish:

McCain is an Hiberno-Scottish or Irish family name.

I was mistaken on the latter part as the name is a contraction of the Gaelic name Mac Cathan, with cathan meaning warrior.

Cain and Abel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Part of his background IS Scottish.

The surname, as the links state, is Irish. Did you read the variations of it and the place name - County Antrim - from which it derives?

As for the "Cain and Abel" wiki link ... his Irish surname PREDATES any Christian influence I assure you. The sons of Adam and Steve (woops!:smile: ) are irrelevant to the derivation of his name.

Last edited:

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
McCain (surname - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

McCain
Family Name

Region of origin Scotland, Ireland

Language of origin Scottish, Irish
Your second link states the surname originates from both Scotland and Ireland. Its meaning came from the Gaelic language of those regions. :smile:

Gaels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the "Cain and Abel" wiki link ... his Irish surname PREDATES any Christian influence I assure you. The sons of Adam and Steve (woops!:smile: ) are irrelevant to the derivation of his name.

Yes.:smile:

HeadGiver309

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Does McCain do nothing but stare at her ass? It's hard to say how often because the people providing us the clip insist on manipulating it to make it look like he fell into a trance in a never ending loop. At least we know he thinks like 90% of the other men on the planet, including for sure us guys on LPSG. I am from Illinois (yes, I know many democrats are too), and I've seen Mr. Obama do nothing during his "service" as state and now US senator but run for higher office. McCain's body is the way it is, at least in part, due to the wounds he sustained while in Vietnam and from which he was never fully able to recover. If McCain were so lucky as FDR the media would not even be allowed to show his full body. And yes, Obama is a laywer, as is everyone in his circle. They are trained to be glib, and even Biden can't manage that. I am far more willing to trust a war hero and his wife who runs a long standing family business, and two working class people who have worked their way up the ladder than angry attorneys from Chicago and Delaware.