An Idea For LPSG

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
now i have an idea and i don't know if it will ever happen, but it might be worth a shot bringing it up. I belong to another forum and they have different categories of membership there are two that come to mind for LPSG. the first one is "Site Buddy" , a site buddy is pretty much a member that welcomes new members via PM and is available for chat, being a buddy, helping the new member get around the site and explaining the rules to the new member. In addition a "Site Buddy" makes all members feel welcome new and old and has Site Buddy put under their screen name in profile. also the "Site Buddy" would have all the benefits of a gold member.

The second category is "Under Moderation" where if moderators feel that a member have violated the rules by posting posting inflammatory remarks or upsetting other members, the members posts are moderated before posted and during the time the member is under moderation the member can not send or receive PM's or go into chat."Under Moderation would be under their screen name. this second one would help a lot of nasty messages from being sent and maybe also prevent possible bannings.

This is just an idea. What does everyone think? What do the mods think?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think everyone should be a site buddy, I always make a point of trying to be welcoming to nice new members (arseholes can bugger off). I think someone having a word with a newbie can make all the difference between them sticking around or disappearing never to be seen again. I don't welcome them in my instant messages, only people I know a little get in there, but I'm always more than happy to chat with anyone nice in the room.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Honestly? - I like the site buddy idea and that kinda happens here anyway

I hate the Under Moderation idea - that's like having teachers put you in detention, man - that might work on another board but I personally would feel like I was being treated like a kid.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The Under Moderation thing is huge! work... I'm part of a site that does that, we have tons of mod there for a relatively small membership, because of that rule. The buddy thing I would be down with.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the site buddy would be a good idea not too fond of the under moderation idea though.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...are two that come to mind for LPSG. the first one is "Site Buddy" , a site buddy is pretty much a member that welcomes new members via PM and is available for chat, being a buddy, helping the new member get around the site and explaining the rules to the new member. In addition a "Site Buddy" makes all members feel welcome new and old and has Site Buddy put under their screen name in profile. also the "Site Buddy" would have all the benefits of a gold member.
I think someone is trying to get a Gold Card. Seriously--people here do welcome newcomers all the time. I like the idea of people who are assigned directly to this and to the guidance position as well. Of course explaining all the rules could prove difficult as has been seen around here in recent days--

The second category is "Under Moderation" where if moderators feel that a member have violated the rules by posting posting inflammatory remarks or upsetting other members, the members posts are moderated before posted and during the time the member is under moderation the member can not send or receive PM's or go into chat."Under Moderation would be under their screen name. this second one would help a lot of nasty messages from being sent and maybe also prevent possible bannings.
This is just an idea. What does everyone think? What do the mods think?
And after Site Buddy and Under Moderation what other category/ies would you have? There clearly needs to be something else. With regard to the ending of a lot of nasty messages and preventing bannings--the past speaks for itself. Yes, there are people who post in an offensive manner from the start--they are often banned within their first 24-48 hours. Then there are those who behave for a while and then turn mean--this method will not stop them. The idea is good on the surface; however, a deeper evaluation shows the holes which any good troll or nasty individual suitable for banning can (and will) find a way to drift through. We've had a few here.

Things run fairly well under the current guidlines--new persons are greeted by various folks (check the new member intro section for confirmation of this) although a person directly given this task might be nice--then again, a computer generated message could do the same thing, In that mode, there would always be a "Welcome to the forum--enjoy!" message following the O.P.

As to getting help--people ask and are given guidance on all manner of things. Designating a person might help; then again, it would also serve as new fuel for bickering as otheres entered in and found fault with the suggestion/s made. For example: "How do I use the search feature", could generate a dozen answers and devolve into all out war (and possibly a banning or two).
I think everyone should be a site buddy, I always make a point of trying to be welcoming to nice new members (arseholes can bugger off). I think someone having a word with a newbie can make all the difference between them sticking around or disappearing never to be seen again. I don't welcome them in my instant messages, only people I know a little get in there, but I'm always more than happy to chat with anyone nice in the room.
The big problem here of course being that the Under Moderation deal would keep those newbies from getting to chat.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Honestly? - I like the site buddy idea and that kinda happens here anyway

I dislike both suggestions (sorry! :redface:).

The 'under moderation' thing, as many have stated, seems like a schoolteacherish tactic for posting up the names of 'naughty children on detention'. And we're all adults here, who don't need fingerpointing officially enshrined within the site's rules.

As for the 'site buddy' or 'welcome committee' ideas... as ManlyBanisters notes above, this happens anyway. And as a newcomer to the site, would you rather be greeted by a regular member who has decided spontaneously to do so (as happens now), or by someone who is 'flagged up' as a welcomer, making the latter's greeting seem like merely a fulfillment of their assigned 'duty' at the site, and as such a hollower gesture than a spontaneous greeting?

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dislike both suggestions (sorry! :redface:).

The 'under moderation' thing, as many have stated, seems like a schoolteacherish tactic for posting up the names of 'naughty children on detention'. And we're all adults here, who don't need fingerpointing officially enshrined within the site's rules.

As for the 'site buddy' or 'welcome committee' ideas... as ManlyBanisters notes above, this happens anyway. And as a newcomer to the site, would you rather be greeted by a regular member who has decided spontaneously to do so (as happens now), or by someone who is 'flagged up' as a welcomer, making the latter's greeting seem like merely a fulfillment of their assigned 'duty' at the site, and as such a hollower gesture than a spontaneous greeting?

well like i said just an idea

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
that is not what i am trying to do i am just making a suggestion, on the other forum the site buddy thing works rather well
I was just kidding you Wally--I wasn't being serious about the card. I realized you were serious in your suggestions.

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As for the 'site buddy' or 'welcome committee' ideas... as ManlyBanisters notes above, this happens anyway.
this does not happen i was never welcomed as a new member, a site buddy also makes sure everyone feels welcome including old time members, i have too often seen people who have been members for a long time walk away because they no longer feel welcome.