An impossible, perhaps even dangerous standard

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Based on the horrific problems of obesity, I really don't have a problem with promoting images of lean, sexy people. That's not a bad thing to encourage, we just need to be mindful of promoting healthy ways of achieving those looks and make sure that we have a safety net in place.

Good point.

When concern with physical appearance causes people to eat properly, get adequate exercise, and keep their weight under control, it is a good thing. Of course when concern with physical appearance causes people to do destructive things, it is not good. It's a matter of balance.

thetramp

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The standard for male models in New York lately is a height around 5'10" to 6'2", a jacket size of 38 to 40, and a waist around 31 to 33" in most cases. I am 6'1", I weigh just under 180 lbs, size 40 jacket, 15.5/34 shirt, and 32" waist and I have been doing a little bit of modeling. I feel that at this weight I am very healthy and lean and fit, but not too skinny, and most of the other guys that I know who model feel the same. I currently do a strenuous gym workout about 4 days a week and I eat what I want in reasonable portions. I sometimes do experience an extremely poor appetite and have to sort of force myself to eat something but I rarely feel tired.

A year ago I weighed almost 50 lbs more and I felt horrible. I didn't think that I looked bad, but I was always tired. Just a little bit of effort in hitting the gym regularly and eating a little bit less worked great for me. My motivation was simply to feel better, not to achieve some 'idealized' look, but that was not a bad side effect. To my surprise, I have found that I absolutely love working out. I feel sensational and absolutely glow after a good workout.

Based on the horrific problems of obesity, I really don't have a problem with promoting images of lean, sexy people. That's not a bad thing to encourage, we just need to be mindful of promoting healthy ways of achieving those looks and make sure that we have a safety net in place.

We need to promote a healthy way of life, not a certain look, because there are guys who can't achieve a certain look and be healthy, because while with the very few medical exceptions a healthy lifestyle is universal, a healthy look is not. A good amount of exercise and good nutrition, even down to numbers like how much percentage of the energy should be carbs and what kind, how much proteins and what kind and how much should be fat and what kind is healthy for almost every human, being 6'1 with a 29" waist at about 160 pounds is not, even tho i am very healthy at those numbers.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
The standard for male models in New York lately is a height around 5'10" to 6'2", a jacket size of 38 to 40, and a waist around 31 to 33" in most cases. I am 6'1", I weigh just under 180 lbs, size 40 jacket, 15.5/34 shirt, and 32" waist and I have been doing a little bit of modeling.

Maybe in catalogue modeling this is a standard, but for runway and major advertising campaigns for luxury and aspirational brands the majority of male models at the moment are 32" waists or smaller.

I feel that at this weight I am very healthy and lean and fit, but not too skinny, and most of the other guys that I know who model feel the same. I currently do a strenuous gym workout about 4 days a week and I eat what I want in reasonable portions. I sometimes do experience an extremely poor appetite and have to sort of force myself to eat something but I rarely feel tired.

A year ago I weighed almost 50 lbs more and I felt horrible. I didn't think that I looked bad, but I was always tired. Just a little bit of effort in hitting the gym regularly and eating a little bit less worked great for me. My motivation was simply to feel better, not to achieve some 'idealized' look, but that was not a bad side effect. To my surprise, I have found that I absolutely love working out. I feel sensational and absolutely glow after a good workout.

I defer to theTramps post on the rest of this. I'd also point out that the evidence suggests that promoting images of super-lean (i.e. Skinny) people is having a dangerous effect on some people, that it may even be contributing to the problem of obesity by aggravating people's existing food issues and feelings of inadequacy is a serious consideration also.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Yes, I was referring to 'stock' modeling, not runway or high-fashion stuff. I have done some stuff for catalogs, web retail, etc.

I'm actually looking through the last Bergdorf Goodman catalog and the models don't strike me as being any thinner than I, just much much better looking.

Edit: Just browsed over to the Gucci website. The models in their ad campaign look pretty decent. However, the models in their collections look emaciated. See link.
http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/us/fall-winter-10/mens-ready-to-wear/#245318

Last edited:

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
^^I think that is a laudable, if not possibly a bit too extreme, government health policy. Being overweight / obese is causal for so many expensive chronic health problems. Being fit leads to long, healthy life. Why is that a bad thing to encourage?

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^^I think that is a laudable, if not possibly a bit too extreme, government health policy. Being overweight / obese is causal for so many expensive chronic health problems. Being fit leads to long, healthy life. Why is that a bad thing to encourage?

From the civil liberties standpoint, perhaps it goes a bit too far. However, considering the obesity epidemic here in the U.S., I think that we should be doing more to encourage people to live more healthful lifestyles but without making people think that they have to conform to a certain type of physique.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
Thank you for posting, this is a very revealing post. It just points to the fact that this is an issue faced by ordinary guys, and not just models, and it's interesting that you bring up the issue of some of this pressure coming from female perspectives of male beauty too.

I know lots of straight women who would feel no compunction about criticising a man to his face for being too muscular and bulky and making it quite clear they're attracted to a more ultra-lean looking guy. Were the roles reversed I'm not sure a guy could get away with saying something like that without drawing down some pretty hefty criticism from the women he was saying this too.

The muscular men wont care though because they'll have at least four or five other women feeling them up.:biggrin1: