An old Indian Saying about humans...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man I just remembered this demented girl who would catch frogs, pull off their hind legs, put them in jars of hot water, and watch them struggle to get out. What a whack job. That whole family was mean.

that probably explains why she did it.

She probably was the victim of some type of abuse either mental or physical from her family.

It is a sad fact, that when abused, the abused often becomes the abuser on something else... (obviously someone on here can probably describe the psychology bvetter than i just did)

But i reckon it is a "transference" or something.

Some people never can get over it and go on to become abusers, others do a 180, so repulsed by the abuse suffered, that they will never to something like that.

I feel very badly for those that get trapped by that cycle, as i briefly knew what that was like when i was young, but fortunately did not become caught up in it, and was lucky enough to have done the "180".

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
At face value I'd say the legend was Hindu. Devote Hindus are vegetarians, and if you died and had to face every animal you ate, that might be Hell :smile:

Anyway I'd like to know why my canary would step on my finger and stay there when I put my hand in the cage. Don't know why but when I would put my hand in her cage she would step on my finger and use it as a perch til I would pet her for a little while. She would only do that for me and nobody else. I think she would say I was good to her. :smile:

Some gold fish would say I was nice, and so would 2 snails.

Don't remember much about any other pets, well nothing I'd like to share :frown:

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
that probably explains why she did it.

She probably was the victim of some type of abuse either mental or physical from her family.

It is a sad fact, that when abused, the abused often becomes the abuser on something else... (obviously someone on here can probably describe the psychology bvetter than i just did)

But i reckon it is a "transference" or something.

Some people never can get over it and go on to become abusers, others do a 180, so repulsed by the abuse suffered, that they will never to something like that.

I feel very badly for those that get trapped by that cycle, as i briefly knew what that was like when i was young, but fortunately did not become caught up in it, and was lucky enough to have done the "180".

Actually, I knew the family really well. They were just mean people and enjoyed it. They weren't mean to each other, they were mean to everybody else. The frog killer would get this wicked look in her eye when she did it, and she would laugh an almost maniacal laugh. I have long wondered if she was insane.

I could not have said that better myself Jason,...you stated very eloquently how i felt about my first dog...

The forgiveness i received too was rather amazing...I had a similar experience as you about "taking simple pleasure in being able to beat-up something that couldn't fight back" ...although i was fortunate to be young and not cause any physical pain, or lasting damage, much of what i did had to do with feeling helpless and being picked on and abused by a parent.

When you are young and helpless and are being hurt, sadly, the natural reaction is to take it out on something that is as helpless as you are/feel.

When i made the connection as i grew up, that is what changed me completely, and i have always looked at my second dog as my "second chance" to do everything right.

A very honest and well thought out post, jason, thanks for sharing it.

Yeah, that's why I did it too. Checking my anger is very difficult but the older I get, the easier it becomes to rein it in. I don't want to be my father.

Thanks.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... frankly, I think you are overreacting...
Hey Flashy, please re-read my question. I was not "over-reacting", I was just asking a simple question about what geographic area and cultures of the planet you were referring to.

I am fascinated by the myths of all cultures of our world. I was asking you to clarify your questions.

I am interested in how these myths involve existing, extinct and legendary animals, especially in regards to costume, dance and rituals... and if these practices are still carried on today by their cultures... to pass it on from generation to generation... Sadly, their languages, skills and knowledge are disappearing quickly with the death of their elders!

Peace... :) Onan

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Literally every domesticated dog and cat (don't know about the lizards, fish, snakes and hermit crabs since they're harder to read) I've met has eventually come to like me. And that includes pets who only trust their owner (and not even other people they live with) or that the kennel classified as being aggressive towards humans.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cats not as much, because they tend to be self-absorbed and assholish.

That is so not true. At least in my case. I've come to realize that they have some of the same qualities of people. And, in a sense, they must be treated that way. Nothing like a dog. They're just independant creatures.

The only animals that may have a problem with me (and my compound bow) is a deer and a few hogs, turkeys, and ducks.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
That is so not true. At least in my case. I've come to realize that they have some of the same qualities of people. And, in a sense, they must be treated that way. Nothing like a dog. They're just independant creatures.

The only animals that may have a problem with me (and my compound bow) is a deer and a few hogs, turkeys, and ducks.

I've had cats pick up rather humanistic behaviors, actually.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had cats pick up rather humanistic behaviors, actually.

Yea I have too. But I like the personality of cats. They're always just chillin. And always smooth.

But, then again, couldn't we apply this to every other animal ? Maybe a cheetah will have to face every gazelle or whatever deer like creature they eat. Maybe every saltwater croc will have to face every wildebeast that they catch slippin' at a watering hole. Every eagle to face every salmon and so on.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So many of them tend to be more vicious about survival of the species than humans do.

Somehow I question the accuracy of that statement. I understand it's meaning though. I don't think you will to quickly find animals developing WMD's or invading tiny countries and taking over there government.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
That's not a survival issue though; it's just presented as one in some cases. ("They hate our freedom!") Granted, humans as a species in its rawest form is prone to what we'd now consider animalistic survival tendencies, but we've industrialized it out of necessity.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you ever pass through Abilene Texas, stop at their Frontier Texas Museum. They have a nice show about the frontier, the maps, and what was done to the Commanche and other indigenous people in the area.

Oh after viewing their program, go on down the road to an old train station. It has a chocolate shop called Vileta's. Good stuff, and they even have almost posterboard thin peanut brittle.

Early on when Europe first colonized the new world (16th century) pilgrims needed only there genetics to combat indians, so many of them died out from our illness's they had no antibodies to fight, they were left freely to expand there settlements without response from what was left of the tribes. And then we have the blankets infected with disease we so generously gave them later on.

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There is an indian legend that states that all humans when they die, will have to face every animal that they have known in their lives and have those animals pass judgment on the person.

What would all the animals you have known (not the ones you have eaten, since you did not know them, unless you lived on a farm knew them and then killed them)

say about you?

try and list all the pets you have had, or pets of your friends that knew you, or horses you used to ride, birds you had, a stray you found etc.

All the animals you have known...what would they say about how you treated them and what they would say about you as a human and how much you may have meant to them or how they felt about you?

Were you good to them? How much time did you take with them? How loving you were etc?

do sea monkeys count? :biggrin1:

I'm not a guy who would ever keep any animals...I can't even keep plants alive...

there was an aquarium in our house for a while when I was a kid, but my parents took care of it...I've never had a pet...

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've had many pets and loved them all. Now I have two dogs and I love them and care much for them.

I'm very much a cat person (duh!), and regret not having a cat in the present but I really enjoy my dogs very much.

I never had birds, because I don't like to see them in cages. I probably would have set them free after a week or so.

I like animals i general and I prefer to scare away an insect than kill it. (except for flies and mosquitoes, I hate them)

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I don't feel badly for the perpetrators

feel they should suffer extensively either here or in hell

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Somehow I question the accuracy of that statement. I understand it's meaning though. I don't think you will to quickly find animals developing WMD's or invading tiny countries and taking over there government.

I am talking about immediate consequences not long term aggression. Chickens will peck to death any chicken that is strange in appearance. It's terrible, and you have to seperate them. My grandma had a chicken born with no leg feathers. The others were pecking it to death. She made it some little cloth chaps for it's legs. It scared the other chickens enough that they left the little one alone. Jammer Legs grew up to be a fine healthy chicken. She ate him. haha

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Early on when Europe first colonized the new world (16th century) pilgrims needed only there genetics to combat indians, so many of them died out from our illness's they had no antibodies to fight, they were left freely to expand there settlements without response from what was left of the tribes. And then we have the blankets infected with disease we so generously gave them later on.

You are preaching to the choir. You haven't read my postings on what was done, and is still being done to the tribes. I wish my maternal grandfather had claimed his rightful race as Cherokee. Things were just so bad for the people that they wouldn't do it. BTW my name in real life is Tonto Goldstein. :laughing:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Flashy, please re-read my question. I was not "over-reacting", I was just asking a simple question about what geographic area and cultures of the planet you were referring to.

I am fascinated by the myths of all cultures of our world. I was asking you to clarify your questions.

I am interested in how these myths involve existing, extinct and legendary animals, especially in regards to costume, dance and rituals... and if these practices are still carried on today by their cultures... to pass it on from generation to generation... Sadly, their languages, skills and knowledge are disappearing quickly with the death of their elders!

Peace... :) Onan

fair enough. sorry, i saw your line that said "does anybody give a shit about history/etc" and thought it was taking a shot at me.

sorry...force of habit here on LPSG to always assume the worst :smile: